This Instant Pot Marry Me Chicken recipe is a mouthwatering dish featuring tender, seasoned chicken breasts smothered in a luscious creamy sun-dried tomato and Parmesan sauce. It’s a quick and easy recipe that’ll make you fall in love with your Instant Pot all over again!
In This Post:
- ℹ️ Recipe Overview
- 🛒 Ingredients
- 📷 How To Make It
- 📹 Watch The Video
- 👩🍳Recipes Tips
- 🥦 What To Serve With
- Storage Tips
- 📝 Go To Full Recipe >>
- ⭐️ Comment On & Rate This Recipe
Marry Me Chicken
Marry Me Chicken is a popular chicken dish known for its rich and creamy Parmesan and sun-dried tomato sauce.
The name “Marry Me Chicken” is believed to originate from the idea that the dish is so delicious and indulgent that it might make someone propose marriage to the cook after trying it. While the name is whimsical, the dish’s flavor is the real reason it’s so enticing.
We decided to adapt this popular chicken recipe for the Instant Pot and it was a total success.
👉 If you want more creamy chicken recipes, try our Instant Pot chicken Fricasse, French onion chicken or poached chicken with creamy rossa tomato sauce. While you’re at it, have a browse through our collection of the BEST Instant pot chicken recipes.
What You Will Need
Here are the ingredients you will need to make marry-me chicken.
- Chicken: you will need 3 medium to large chicken breasts for 4-5 servings. Tip: Slicing the chicken breasts in half lengthwise helps them cook more evenly and quickly. Yes, you can use skinless chicken thighs.
- Seasonings: salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder and onion powder. These will create a tasty, umami coating for the chicken and will add flavor to the cooking liquid.
- For the sauce: chicken stock, Italian mixed herbs, sun-dried tomatoes (half used in cooking and half after cooking), heavy cream, Parmesan and chili flakes. Tip: Use the sun-dried tomatoes preserved in oil for added flavor. Adjust the chili flakes to your desired level of spiciness.
- Choose your favorite side to serve the creamy chicken and sauce over. Mashed potatoes, rice, or pasta noodles all work well.
How to Make Marry Me Chicken In The Instant Pot
You will find the full recipe with ingredients and nutritional breakdown in the recipe card below. Here are step-by-step photos to guide you along.
Pressure Cooking The Chicken
- Step 1. Season chicken pieces with salt, pepper, and spices.
- Step 2. Set the Instant Pot to Saute setting and once hot, add the olive oil. Add 3-4 chicken pieces at a time and sear for 30 seconds to 1 minute on each side, to brown slightly. Do this in batches.
- Step 3. Once the chicken is seared, pour in a cup of chicken stock and use a spatula to scrape the bottom of the pan.
- Step 4. Add the Italian herbs and half of the chopped sun-dried tomatoes. Then return all chicken pieces, nestling them in the stock. They don’t have to be fully submerged.
- Step 5. Lock the lid and set to Pressure Cook on High pressure for 10 minutes. Once done, naturally release the pressure for 5 minutes and then quick release the remaining pressure.
Finishing The Sauce
- Step 6. Remove the chicken pieces from the pot and set it to Saute. Add the creamy, Parmesan cheese, remaining sun-dried tomatoes and chili flakes (to taste). Stir through until the cheese is well melted and the sauce is smooth and thick. Cancel the Saute.
- Step 7. Return the chicken and stir through the sauce.
- Serve over rice, mashed potatoes or pasta with fresh basil on top.
Watch The Video
- Sear the chicken before you start pressure cooking. This step helps lock in flavor and gives the chicken a nice golden color.
- After searing the chicken, deglaze the Instant Pot by adding a bit of chicken stock and scraping up any browned bits from the bottom. Don’t skip this step! It will prevent the “Burn” warning and ensure even cooking.
- You can use a natural release to let the pressure release slowly, which can result in a slightly more tender chicken. However, if you’re short on time, a quick release is fine, but be prepared for some extra splattering due to the creamy sauce.
- The amount of chili flakes can be adjusted to your preference for spiciness. Start with 1/2 teaspoon and add more if you like it hotter.
- If the sauce is too thick, you can thin it out with a bit of chicken stock. Conversely, if it’s too thin, you can thicken it with a slurry of cornstarch and water.
- Adding fresh basil leaves just before serving provides a burst of fresh flavor and a beautiful garnish.
- While the classic recipe is fantastic, you can personalize it by adding vegetables like spinach, mushrooms, or bell peppers for extra flavor and nutrition.
This is a rich and flavorful dish, and here are some serving suggestions to enhance your meal:
- Spoon the creamy chicken and sauce over a bed of fluffy mashed potatoes. The creamy sauce pairs wonderfully with the smooth texture of the potatoes.
- Serve it over steamed white or brown rice. The rice will absorb the creamy sauce, creating a delicious combination. Or, prepare couscous or quinoa and serve it as a base for the chicken and sauce. These grains will absorb the creamy sauce nicely.
- Toss the cooked pasta noodles of your choice with the chicken and sauce. Fettuccine, linguine, or spaghetti work well. Top with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Serve with slices of crusty bread or garlic bread to mop up the delectable sauce. It’s a great way to savor every bit of flavor.
- Pair the dish with a side of steamed or sautéed vegetables like broccoli, asparagus, or green beans for a balanced meal.
- Balance the richness of the dish with a fresh, crisp salad. A simple green salad with vinaigrette or a Caesar salad can be a great side.
- Roast some baby potatoes or potato wedges with herbs and serve them alongside the Marry Me Chicken for a hearty and flavorful combination.
- For a lower-carb option, serve over cauliflower rice. It’s a great choice for those looking to reduce their carbohydrate intake.
- Store in the refrigerator within 2 hours of cooking. Marry Me Chicken can typically be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- If you want to store it for a longer period, consider freezing it. Transfer the chicken and sauce to an airtight freezer-safe container or a resealable freezer bag. Ensure you remove as much air as possible to prevent freezer burn. It can be stored in the freezer for up to 2-3 months.
Find the full list of ingredients, instructions, and a nutritional breakdown below. If you have questions or cook this recipe, please let us know in the comments, and make sure to rate this recipe so it’s easy for others to find.
Rate This Recipe
Marry Me Chicken In The Instant Pot
- 3 chicken breasts large boneless and skinless, sliced lengthwise into 2 thinner cutlets
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chicken stock 240 ml
- 1 tsp Italian mixed herbs or 1/2 tsp oregano and 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes chopped (those preserved in oil)
- 1 cup heavy cream 240 ml (double cream in the UK, thickened cream in Australia )
- ½ cup parmesan cheese grated 43 grams
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- A few fresh basil leaves for garnish
To serve: mashed potatoes, rice or pasta noodles
- Season chicken pieces with salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder and onion powder.
- Set the Instant Pot to Saute setting and once hot, add the olive oil. Add 3-4 chicken pieces at a time and sear for 30 seconds to 1 minute on each side, to brown slightly. Do this in batches rather than overcrowding the pot.
- Once the chicken is seared, pour in a cup of chicken stock and use a spatula to scrape the bottom of the pan.
- Add the Italian herbs and half of the chopped sun-dried tomatoes.
- Then return all chicken pieces, nestling them in the stock. They don’t have to be fully submerged.
- Lock the lid and set to Pressure Cook on High pressure for 10 minutes. Once done, naturally release the pressure for 5 minutes and then quick release the remaining pressure.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the pot and set it to Saute. Add the creamy, Parmesan cheese, remaining sun-dried tomatoes and chili flakes (to taste). Stir through until the cheese is well melted and the sauce is smooth and thick. Cancel the Saute.
- Return the chicken and stir through the sauce.
- Serve over rice, mashed potatoes or pasta with fresh basil on top.