This Instant Pot chicken piccata is made from frozen with zesty lemon and capers for that light citrus flavor. It’s perfect to serve over angel hair pasta or your favorite vegetables. This is guest recipe is from the cookbook Cooking from Frozen in Your Instant Pot by Kristy Bernardo.
How many times have you come home after a long day at work starving? Only to find that the chicken you meant to defrost is still in the freezer. Don’t be so quick to call it quits and give up by ordering a pizza or getting take out because it’s faster. You can still have an amazing meal in less than an hour that’s better for you and your family than fast food.
The wonderful thing about owning an Instant Pot is that you can cook meats from frozen. This recipe for Instant Pot chicken piccata is one of those fuss-free meals you can make from the freezer.
WHAT IS CHICKEN PICCATA?
Piccata refers to a dish of sliced meat (chicken, pork, or veal) that’s been sliced, coated in flour or crumbs, pan-fries and served in a sauce made out of butter, lemon and capers (usually!). The dish originated in Italy using veal (veal piccata) but in the United States, chicken is more commonly used.
This Instant Pot chicken piccata dish is a little different but a whole lot easier. Traditionally, you would butterfly the chicken breast, pound it and coat it with flour and fry. This version is healthier and takes less work since you simply place your rock-solid frozen chicken thighs into your sauteed garlic and wine mixture, then let your Instant Pot do its job.
You can finish it off with broiling the chicken in the oven to it brown and crisp. Then serve it over angel hair pasta and garnish with lemons. The meat will fall off the bone and make it seem unbelievable that less than an hour ago it was completely frozen. All hope for a nutritious dinner was almost all lost. Next time you may forget to defrost the chicken on purpose.
MORE INSTANT POT CHICKEN RECIPES
This is an easier version of chicken piccata, but it ’s also better since the Instant Pot turns your frozen chicken into the meat so tender it almost falls off the bone. If you like, you can make a side of angel hair pasta and it will taste almost identical!
2 tsp (10 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup (60 ml) dry white wine
½ cup (118 ml) low-sodium chicken broth
2 tbsp (30 ml) fresh lemon juice
8 frozen bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
3 tbsp (26 g) capers
1 tbsp (14 g) cold butter
2 tbsp (5 g) chopped fresh parsley
- Press “Sauté” to preheat your Instant Pot. When the word “Hot” appears on the display, add the oil. When the oil is shimmering, add the garlic and cook for about a minute. Add the wine and cook until it’s reduced to a tablespoon (15 ml), about 5 minutes. Turn off the Instant Pot.
- Add the chicken broth and lemon juice, then stir to scrape up all the browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Add the chicken to the pot, directly into the liquid.
- Close and lock the lid of the Instant Pot. Press “Manual” and immediately adjust the timer to 30 minutes. Check that the cooking pressure is on “High” and that the release valve is set to “Sealing.”
- When the time is up, open the Instant Pot using “Quick Pressure Release.” Remove the chicken and set it aside on a broiler pan. Remove the fat from the liquid in the pot, then stir in the capers, butter and parsley. Turn off the Instant Pot.
- Broil the chicken until the skin is browned and crispy, for about 5 minutes. Top with the sauce and serve.