If you’re looking for a super fast and easy recipe for how to make Instant Pot buffalo chicken wings from frozen, this is it! The wings thaw quickly and cook in no time, and smothered in the delicious buttery hot sauce, they are so delicious! Suitable to low-carb, gluten-free and keto diets. This is a guest recipe from the cookbook From Freezer To Instant Pot by Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough.
We love cooking chicken wings in the Instant Pot (it’s fast and easy), so we are very excited to share this guest recipe for pressure cooker buffalo chicken wings. The chicken is cooked in the Instant Pot from frozen making this a very convenient dish to make when you’re in the rush or you’ve forgotten to pick fresh ingredients. Stocking a few chicken wings in the freezer means that you can whip these guys up any time!
This recipe is from the cookbook From Freezer To Instant Pot, which we reviewed here.
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT FROZEN CHICKEN WINGS?
Although we assume you’ll use both the wingette and the drumette portion of the wing, you can use just one or the other at your preference. At the supermarket, look for individually frozen chicken wings.
If you buy fresh wings on sale and want to freeze them, take the wings out of their packaging and freeze them in a fairly condensed hunk in a plastic bag for up to 3 months. In that case, you’ll need to set the hunk on the cooker’s rack, slanting up to the pot’s insert, and cook on for MAX for 18 minutes or on HIGH for 22 minutes, followed by a quick release. You’ll also need to break the wings apart when you open the pot.
If they’re still not cooked through (because of the density of the mass), cook them for another 3 minutes on either MAX or HIGH followed by a quick release. The chicken wings are cooked directly in the hot buffalo sauce mixed with Cajun spice blend, butter and some broth, which means they will be infused with the flavor and super tender.
CAN I USE THIS RECIPE WITH INSTANT POT MAX?
Instant Pot Max cooks at 15 psi, roughly the same pressure as a stovetop pressure cooker and all the former models cook at 12.1 psi for HIGH. If you have a Max, you can use the same directions below but set the settings to Pressure Cook on MAX for 12 minutes. By the way, the Max machine does allow you to set the pot for the older setting — and you can certainly do this recipe on HIGH (which is a slightly lower pressure) and cook for longer (15 minutes).
WHAT TO SERVE WITH BUFFALO CHICKEN WINGS?
Although this blue cheese dip is traditional (and we have provided the ingredients and recipe below), the author also recommends serving the wings with ranch dressing that’s been mixed with minced pickled jalapeño rings and minced chives. It certainly sounds delicious to use! Of course, buffalo wings need celery and carrot sticks! A little crunch goes well with the warm protein (and the dip) and will offset some of the heat with fresh, crisp flavors. You can also serve these chicken wings with a side of rice (try our Instant Pot yellow rice here), pasta or every cauliflower rice for a low-carb version.
MORE RECIPES TO TRY
Instant Pot 101: How To Cook Frozen Chicken
15+ Instant Pot Recipes With Frozen Foods
15 Instant Pot Chicken Wings That Are Finger Lickin’ Good
15+ Mouthwatering Instant Pot Chicken Recipes
20+ Tasty Instant Pot Chicken Breast Recipes
15 Instant Pot Super Bowl Recipes
Best Instant Pot BBQ Party Recipes
Smothered in the delicious buttery hot sauce, these Instant Pot buffalo chicken wings cook fast and easy from frozen. Suitable to low-carb, gluten-free and keto diets. This is a guest recipe from the cookbook From Freezer To Instant Pot
½ cup red hot sauce, preferably Texas Pete or Frank’s Red Hot
¼ cup chicken broth
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, cut into three or four pieces
2 tablespoons dried Cajun seasoning blend (a gluten-free version, if that’s a concern)
3 pounds not-breaded frozen chicken wings, preferably individually frozen wings (sometimes called “ice glazed”)
For the blue cheese dip
- Stir the hot sauce, broth, butter, and seasoning blend in a 6.quart Instant Pot. Set the wings in the sauce and toss well. Lock the lid onto the pot.
- Set the machine to either Chicken setting or Pressure Cook/Manual (depending on the model) with HIGH pressure for 15 minutes.
- Use the quick-release method to bring the pot’s pressure back to normal. Unlatch the lid and open the cooker. Use tongs to transfer the wings to a large serving platter.
- Whisk the mayonnaise, sour cream, blue cheese, onion powder, and pepper in a small bowl until creamy. Serve alongside the hot wings as a dip (perhaps with some of the boiled-down liquid from the machine for a second dip).
- For an 8-quart Instant Pot, you must increase all the ingredients by 50 percent.
- Using a –20° F CHEST FREEZER? There is no difference in cooking times.
- To make these wings crisp (and thus take them over the top): In step 3, use tongs to transfer them from the cooker to a large, lipped baking sheet. Position the oven rack about 4 inches from the broiler and heat the broiler. Broil the wings until crunchy, basting several times with the pot’s juices and turning once, 2–3 minutes.
Keywords: Appetizer Snack Chicken Wings Buffalo Hot Spicey Game Day Football Super Bowl Party Snack Finger-licking