There’s nothing like a juicy, crispy chicken laying on a platter to get everyone to the table, especially this Instant Pot whole chicken. Rubbed in spices and lightly blackened, it can be served with green beans, lemon garlic asparagus or baby potatoes for a complete meal.
Do you have a furry buddy who faithfully sits at your feet in the kitchen waiting for the possibility of you dropping some morsel of dinner on the floor? Stefanie Bundalo, the author of today’s guest recipe and of Quick Prep Cooking with Your Instant Pot cookbook has a pug, Weezer, who sits next to the warm oven all day long and waits for a roasted chicken to finish in hopes of a few scraps being tossed his way.
WHY MAKE WHOLE CHICKEN IN THE INSTANT POT?
A few great things about making a roasted or faux-sted chicken in the Instant Pot: it’s quick, slightly spicy, fall-off-the-bone tender and doesn’t heat up your entire house. By the time the beeps from the Instant Pot sound and Weezer realizes what that means, the chicken is on the serving dish and out of his sight. But like any dog lover you are can’t help but save a few bites for your furry friend.
Stefanie’s pug dog knows a good thing when he smells it. This chicken is blackened, which is a cooking technique used in the preparation where the food is dipped in melted butter and then sprinkled with a mixture of herbs and spices, usually some combination of thyme, oregano, chili pepper, peppercorns, salt, garlic powder, and onion powder.
You can imagine the flavors that come from those spices would make anyone sit patiently in the kitchen. Next time see if this recipe stops your family in their tracks, anxiously curious for dinner. Since it’s a Quick Prep Cooking recipe, they won’t have to wait long.
Stefanie has more fast recipes in her cookbook for those who only have 15 minutes to spare in the kitchen and we have reviewed it here.
MORE TASTY CHICKEN RECIPES
- Chicken Noodle Soup In 30 Minutes
- Instant Pot Chicken Scarpariello
- Chicken Wings With Buffalo Sauce (From Frozen)
- Soy-Ginger Chicken Hibachi
Instant Pot whole chicken spiced and lightly blackened is just as good as when made in the oven but faster. Serve with your favorite veggie sides for a perfect Sunday supper or midweek dinner.
1 (3-to 4-lb [1.3-to 1.8-kg]) whole chicken, innards removed
1 tbsp (15 g) unsalted butter
2 tbsp (30 ml) extra-virgin olive oil, divided
3 tbsp (23 g) Blackening Seasoning Mix
Small handful of fresh parsley
½ cup (120 ml) water
- Remove the chicken from its packaging. Pat it dry using paper towels. Set the chicken on a baking sheet topped with a wire rack. Put the chicken in the fridge overnight to dry out.
- Rub the chicken all over with the butter and 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of olive oil. Loosen the skin over the breasts and rub some olive oil and butter under there too. Season the chicken liberally with the Blackening Seasoning Mix. Place the lemon half and parsley inside the chicken cavity.
- Set the Instant Pot to “Sauté.” Add the other tablespoon (15 ml) of olive oil to the Instant Pot.
Add the whole chicken, breast side down. Sear the chicken for 7 minutes.
- After 7 minutes, hit “Cancel,” remove the chicken and transfer it to a plate. Add the water to the pot along with the steam rack.
- Truss the legs together with kitchen twine. Add the chicken back into the Instant Pot by placing it on the steamer rack. Press the “Pressure Cook” button. Adjust to “High Pressure.” Press the “−/+” button until the display screen reads 35 minutes.
- When the timer is done, quick release the pressure. Carefully remove the steamer rack with the chicken still on it. Let the chicken cool for 5 minutes before cutting and serving.
Keywords: Poultry, Roasting
Reprinted with permission from Quick Prep Cooking with Your Instant Pot by Stefanie Bundalo, Page Street Publishing Co. 2019. Photo credit: Stefanie Bundalo.