We love that this Instant Pot French Onion Chicken comes together in one pot in less than 30 minutes and makes a delicious everyday meal for busy cooks. This recipe is super easy and only requires a handful of ingredients. It’s low-carb, keto and gluten-free but you can also serve it over pasta noodles, rice or mashed potatoes.
In this recipe, a French onion soup meets melt-in-your-mouth shredded chicken and creamy mushroom sauce to make a glorious Instant Pot dinner meal.
We’re using French onion mix instead of slowly cooking onions from scratch. It adds a lot of flavor and texture to the sauce – like a gravy mix would – and saves you from crying over onion slicing. Plus, it speeds things up significantly, which we love for a weeknight meal.
Using cream cheese adds that lovely subtle cheese flavor (hello cheesy onion soup!) and lots of creaminess.
Once cooked, the chicken meat is shredded and returned to the sauce. Each meat strip gets coated with that delicious French onion sauce. Drool!
This Instant Pot French chicken and mushroom can be served as a stew with good bread for dunking on the side or enjoyed over pasta noodles, rice or mashed potatoes. Oh, it’s delicious in a sandwich, too!
For a low-carb, keto meal, serve this dish over cauliflower rice or with a side of green vegetables or zucchini noodles.
The ingredients for this creamy French chicken stew are super simple. Don’t you love it when it’s just a few of them? We do!
- Chicken – We used two large chicken breasts (no skin or bone) cut into 3 pieces each, which allows it to cook through to super tender in a shorter time. You can also use skinless chicken thighs.
- French onion soup mix – We used a regular packet of soup mix powder. You need about 1.4 oz or 40 grams; or, about 3 tablespoons if using a larger container. Many of the brands are gluten-free but check the labels!
- Cream cheese – We recommend reduced-fat, lighter cream cheese as it makes the dish a little less heavy (and cuts down on calories) but you can use the full-fat option too.
- Other bits – Mushrooms are optional but add earthy, umami flavor and nutrients. Chicken stock should be low-sodium as you get plenty of salt and seasoning from the French onion soup mix and cream cheese. If you only have regular chicken stock, dilute it with water to reduce the salt.
- Garlic always works well in creamy sauces but can be left out. You can also use a little garlic powder instead. Finally, you need some green onions to garnish!
You will find the full recipe with ingredients and nutritional breakdown in the recipe card below. Here are some handy step-by-step photos of how to make creamy French onion chicken and mushroom stew with the help of the Instant Pot. You can use a 6-quart or 8-quart Instant Pot.
PRESSURE COOKING THE CHICKEN
Prep. Cut the chicken breasts into three pieces (cut the thickest part of the breasts to make them a little thinner and more even). Slice mushrooms, chop the onion and garlic and get your chicken stock ready.
Step 1. Add a cup of low-sodium chicken to the Instant Pot. Stir in half of the French Onion mix and half of the garlic.
Step 2. Nestle the chicken breast pieces in the stock and sprinkle with the remaining onion mix and garlic.
Step 3. Evenly top with mushrooms and place a block of cream cheese in the middle, do not stir. It will melt into the sauce during cooking.
Step 4. Secure and lock the lid. Set to Pressure Cook for 15 minutes on HIGH pressure. The Instant Pot will take about 6-7 minutes to come to pressure. Once the timer is done, leave the pot alone for 5 minutes and then use the quick release to let off the remaining pressure.
ONCE CHICKEN IS COOKED
Step 5. Open the lid and remove the chicken pieces. Set aside.
Step 6. Press the Saute function on the Instant Pot. Use a whisk or a spatula to whip the sauce and to break up any clumps of cream cheese. Once the sauce starts to simmer or bubble, the cream cheese will eventually melt completely. Let the sauce bubble for 2-3 minutes to reduce and thicken.
Step 7. Shred the chicken with two forks or dice and return to the sauce along with half of the green onions. Stir through.
Step 8. If you would like to thicken the sauce further, whisk a tablespoon of flour or cornstarch with 2-3 tablespoons of water in a small bowl. Stir it into the chicken and watch the sauce thicken instantly.
Serve over pasta noodles, rice, and mashed potatoes, as a stew with good bread or croutons, or with cauliflower rice or zucchini noodles for a low-carb version.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH FRENCH ONION CHICKEN
Creamy, saucy chicken is pretty versatile when it comes to side dishes and how you can serve it. Here are some ideas.
- As a stew: Dig in with a spoon and some good bread on the side to dunk into the sauce. Croutons can be added on top to soak up the liquid as well.
- With something starchy: Pasta noodles of any kind, gnocchi, rice (white or brown), mashed potatoes or roast potatoes, quinoa, polenta, couscous.
- Saucy Chicken Sandwich: Think French dip steak sandwich or pot roast beef rolls but with this creamy onion chicken instead.
- Casserole: Turn it into a bake with rice, pasta noodles or added vegetables and a topping of cheese on top.
- Don’t forget the veggies: Freshen things up with a side of vegetables such as steamed or grilled green beans, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, carrots and peas.
- Low-carb/keto: For a lighter option, serve the chicken over green vegetables, cauliflower rice, or zucchini noodles
- As French onion chicken contains cream cheese, it might not freeze as well as stews without dairy. You can absolutely freeze it but beware that the texture may change and become noticeably grainier.
- This dish will keep well in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Make sure to reheat to piping hot!
MORE INSTANT POT CHICKEN RECIPES
- Instant Pot Chicken Fricassee
- Easy Instant Pot Mississippi Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken Meatloaf With Honey Mustard Glaze
- Instant Pot Coconut Chicken Curry (Only 5 Ingredients!)
- Want even chicken recipes? 45+ Instant Pot Chicken Recipes For Every Taste
Instant Pot French Onion Chicken
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- Category: Main
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
This one-pot Instant Pot French Chicken comes together in less than 30 minutes. In this recipe, a French onion soup meets melt-in-your-mouth shredded chicken and creamy mushroom sauce to make a glorious Instant Pot dinner meal. It’s low-carb, keto and gluten-free friendly.
1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
2 cloves garlic, diced
1 x packet of French Onion Mix (1.4 0z / 40 g)
2 large chicken breasts (cut into 3 pieces, 1.5 lb / 700 g total)
5 oz / 150 Swiss brown mushrooms, sliced
8 oz / 250 g cream cheese
2 green onions, finely diced
- Prep. Cut the chicken breasts into 3 pieces, slice mushrooms, chop garlic and onions and prepare the chicken stock (if making from stock cube).
- Add a cup of low-sodium chiken to the Instant Pot. Stir in half of the French Onion mix and half of the garlic.
- Nestle the chicken breast pieces in the stock and sprinkle with the remaining onion mix and garlic.
- Evenly top with mushrooms and place a block of cream cheese in the middle, do not stir. It will melt into the sauce during cooking.
- Secure and lock the lid. Set to Pressure Cook for 15 minutes on HIGH pressure. The Instant Pot will take about 6-7 minutes to come to pressure. Once the timer is done, leave the pot alone for 5 minutes and then use the quick release to let off the remaining pressure.
- Remove the chicken pieces and shred or dice. Set aside.
- Press the Saute function on the Instant Pot. Use a whisk or a spatula to whip the sauce a few times to break up any clumps of cream cheese. Once the sauce starts to simmer or bubble, the cream cheese will eventually melt completely. Let the sauce bubble for 2-3 minutes to reduce and thicken.
- Return the shredded chicken back to the sauce along with half of the green onions and stir through.
- If you would like to thicken the sauce further, whisk a tablespoon of flour or cornstarch with 2-3 tablespoons of water in a small bowl. Stir it into the chicken and watch the sauce thicken instantly.
- Serve over pasta noodles, rice, mashed potatoes, as a stew with good bread or croutons, or with cauliflower rice or zucchini noodles for a low-carb version.
- Serving Size: 2 scoops of stew
- Calories: 299
- Sugar: 3.8 g
- Sodium: 644.8 mg
- Fat: 11.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 9.6 g
- Fiber: 0.6 g
- Protein: 37.6 g
- Cholesterol: 129.2 mg
Keywords: Chicken Stew, French Onion Soup, Chicken Recipes, Creamy Chicken, Low-carb chicken recipes, Keto chicken recipes, gluten-free chicken recipes, instant pot chicken recipes, dinner
My family, including our young kids, enjoyed this so I want double the amount I made last time. It’s very delicious.
Hi, I want to double the recipe but amounts of some ingredients do not change. For example the amount of cream cheese for a 1x recipe and a 2x is 8oz for both. Can you confirm the ingredient amount for a 2x recipe?
Should be times 2, there might be a glitch in the calculator for ingredients.
this sounds wonderful and my daughter recommended it but I have a question…how mush is a scoop? I have to be careful and don’t make recipes without nutrition information, which you have, but what is a scoop? a cup, a flour bin scoop, a soup ladle? very confusing. thank you.
It would be about a cup.
How would you go about adding fresh green beans to this recipe?
Hey Melinda, this depends on how cooked or crunchy you like the beans. If you add them at the same time as the chicken, they will turn out very soft. If that’s what you’re after, then cook them at the same time as the chicken. If you like them to retain crunch, add them once the chicken is cooked and set the pot on Saute function without the lid, and cook the beans in the stew for a few minutes. You can also pre-boil the beans briefly on the stove and stir them into the chicken later.
Very tasty. However i dont like shredded meat. I made with chicken thighs, and when I make it again, I will only cook for 12 mins. I found the French Onion Soip during a recent trip to [email protected], I cant find it in the UK
Hey Brenda, you can definitely make it with diced chicken meat or whole chicken thighs. In the UK, you can look for Onion Soup/Dip mix, like this on from Ocado: https://www.ocado.com/products/telma-onion-soup-dip-mix-573481011
My first instant pot meal. Delicious. I served it over egg noodles. Skipped the green onions. It was delicious and easy!
Thanks, Teresa. Glad you enjoyed it and that it was easy 🙂 Egg noodles – the perfect side dish!
Enjoyed this for dinner last night and it did not disappoint! This is my kid of comfort food; my whole family loved it!
This soup is so creamy and delicious, it must be the addition of cream cheese which I have never added to my soup before. I’m addicted!
Soups are my all time super meals for Dinner. Love your soup recipes. Looks cream rich and delicious.
After a busy day this meal really hit the spot. Not only was it quick and easy to make but so very delicious. This will definitely stay in my dinner rotation!
This was so good! That creamy sauce was so delicious with the French onion flavor, and the Instant Pot made the whole process super quick and easy.