Learn how to make quick and easy Instant Pot coconut chicken curry. This 5-ingredient chicken recipe is perfect for speedy dinners, if you are on the budget or while travelling with your Instant Pot. It's mild and kid-friendly, perfect served over rice or cauliflower rice and a side of vegetables. Suitable for gluten-free, low-carb, keto, Paleo and Whole30 diets.
Would like a curry in a hurry? This coconut chicken curry is a must-try dish if you’re looking for quick and easy Instant Pot recipes. We will show you how to make this recipe with just 5 key ingredients for a speedy, budget-friendly dinner you can serve up to your family (kids including) or friends. It's great for making ahead and freezing as well. Please note, we don't count pantry staples like salt, sugar or oil as key ingredients.
Why You'll Love This Coconut Chicken Curry
This delicious chicken curry is great for when you need something quick and easy with just a handful of ingredients.
- This is a great dish when you’re travelling with your Instant Pot and want to make a hearty dinner without having to buy too many ingredients.
- It’s tasty and full of flavor but not too spicy, kind of like a mellow curry so it's great for the whole family, kids and friends.
- Using just 5 ingredients (we don't count salt/sugar) makes this dinner recipe quite affordable. You can swap out the chicken for pork or beef and add extra vegetables at the end (see notes for this step). Simple white or brown rice is all you need as a side dish.
- This is a good recipe to make as a large batch to enjoy as leftovers or to freeze for another meal.
- This recipe is suitable for those following a gluten-free diet, low-carb or keto, paleo or Whole30 (omit sugar and serve with cauliflower rice instead)
5 Ingredients To Make Easy Chicken Curry
This is a super simple curry recipe that uses accessible ingredients and isn't complicated with too many steps. Let's go through the key ingredients you'll need to make this coconut chicken curry in the Instant Pot. Please note, we don't count pantry staples like salt, sugar or oil as key ingredients.
- Chicken – you can use breasts or skinless thighs; our recipe used 3 medium to large breasts cut up into large cubes.
- Mild curry spice mix – almost every grocery store should have a mild curry spice blend; it's a great introductory curry seasoning that can also be used to flavor scrambled eggs, soups and stew, roasted vegetables, fried rice or as a meat or fish rub. You will need about 4 teaspoons for this recipe.
- Aromatics – garlic and ginger are the standard Asian aromatics that you can find in many curries so we decided to use those as the base for the curry. If don't have fresh garlic or fresh ginger, you can use powders. If you do, simply skip the first saute step and add the garlic and ginger powders when you add the curry powder (see notes on amounts in the recipe card below).
- Coconut cream - if you can't find coconut cream, get a regular can of full-fat coconut milk. Pop it in the fridge for an hour then open and scoop out the thickened part, which is the separated cream. If you use thinner coconut milk, the curry won't be as thick or rich in flavor.
How To Make Coconut Chicken Curry In The Instant Pot
You will find the full recipe, ingredients and nutrition info just below. Here are some step-by-step pictures to guide you along.
- Step 1. Cut chicken into 1 to 2-inch pieces and finely chop the ginger and garlic.
- Step 2. Saute garlic and ginger in a little oil on Saute setting for a minute, then add the chicken and stir for 30 seconds.
- Step 3. Add salt, sugar and curry powder and stir. Cancel the Saute setting.
- Step 4. Add about a cup of water (we added ⅔ cup as we knew that chicken would release quite a bit of juice while cooking). STir through.
- Step 5. Cook on High pressure for 15 minutes, with natural pressure release.
- Step 6. Open the lid and stir the curry. Stir in the coconut cream and taste for salt and sweetness. You can add a little more sugar or salt to balance the flavors. Please see the full recipe below on how to thicken the curry sauce if it seems a little thin.
More Instant Pot 5-Ingredient Recipes
- Easy Instant Pot Chicken Tacos (Only 5-Ingredients!)
- Instant Pot Pumpkin Pasta Bake (Only 5-Ingredients!)
- Instant Pot Creamy Sausage Pasta (Only 5-Ingredients!)
- 5-Ingredient Instant Pot Recipes (Easy!)
Rate This Recipe
Instant Pot Coconut Chicken Curry (Only 5 Ingredients!)
- 1.5 tablespoons olive oil or coconut oil
- 4 cloves garlic chopped finely (about 2 tbsp)
- 2 tablespoons chopped ginger thumb-size knob
- 2 lbs. chicken breasts 900 g, diced into large cubes
- 4 teaspoons mild curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar optional
- ⅔ cup water or chicken stock
- 1 cup coconut cream thickened part of coconut milk
- For extra thickening: 2 teaspoons flour or gluten-free flour/corn flour
- Garnish: fresh cilantro
- Sides: rice and broccoli
- Prep. Cut chicken into 1 to 2-inch pieces and finely chop the ginger and garlic.
- Saute. Saute garlic and ginger in a little oil on Saute setting for a minute, then add the chicken and stir for 30 seconds. Add salt, sugar and curry powder and stir. Cancel the Saute setting.
- Add about a cup of water (we added ⅔ cup as we knew that chicken would release quite a bit of juice while cooking). Stir through.
- Pressure cook. Set to Pressure Cook on High pressure for 15 minutes, with natural pressure release.
- Finish the curry. Open the lid and stir the curry. Stir in the coconut cream and taste for salt and sweetness. You can add a little more sugar or salt to balance the flavors.
How to thicken the curry sauce if it seems a little thin:
- Option 1: You can scoop out half a cup of broth to reduce the liquid.
- Option 2: You can thicken the broth with a little flour. If you want to have more sauce, do the flour trick. Combine 2 teaspoons of all-purpose flour with 4 tablespoons of water or broth from the pot in a separate bowl and whisk until smooth. Stir this slurry mixture into the hot curry and see the liquid magically thicken.
More Instant Pot Chicken Recipes
- Instant Pot Japanese Curry
- Instant Pot Thai Chicken Curry
- Chipotle Chicken Enchiladas (with Video)
- Orange Chicken (Step-By-Step Recipe)
- Chicken Breasts & Gravy (Step-By-Step)