Learn how to make quick and easy Instant Pot chicken tacos with avocado and salsa verde. This 5-ingredient recipe is perfect for speedy dinners, if on the budget, while travelling with your Instant Pot or making a last-minute meal for friends. Healthy and delicious tacos!
If you’re looking for quick and easy Instant Pot recipes, these chicken avocado and salsa verde tacos tick all the boxes. We will show you how to make them with just 5 main ingredients for a speedy, budget-friendly dinner you can serve up to your family or friends.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THESE INSTANT POT TACOS
- These chicken tacos are great for when you need something quick and easy with just a handful of ingredients.
- They are perfect for when you’re travelling with your Instant Pot and want to make a delicious dinner without having to buy too many ingredients.
- It’s a great recipe for a family or a group of friends as you can make a large batch; you can also make a small batch and enjoy the leftovers the next day.
- Using just 5 ingredients makes this dinner recipe quite affordable. You can use it as a template recipe and swap out some of the toppings for whatever you have available.
5 INGREDIENTS TO MAKE EASY CHICKEN TACOS
This recipe is a great example of ‘less is more’ or ‘simplicity at its best’. With just a handful of ingredients, these chicken tacos are still super delicious and satisfying. Here is what you need:
- Chicken – you can use breasts or skinless thighs; our recipe used 3 medium breasts cut up into large cubes.
- Taco spice mix – almost every grocery store has some kind of Tex Mex spice mix and using a pre-made blend saves you having to buy individual spices and seasonings. You will need about 3 tablespoons plus a little salt, which you should already have.
- Tortillas – corn, wheat or mixed tortillas, you choose! All you have to do is heat them up or toast them before serving.
- Avocado and your favourite store-bought salsa verde are the two remaining toppings. Salsa verde works particularly well here but you can use red salsa or freshly chopped tomatoes as well.
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT CHICKEN TACOS
You will find the full recipe, ingredients and nutrition info just below. Here are some step-by-step pictures to guide you along. The recipe works with either 2 or 3 chicken breasts using the same amount of water. Adjust the taco spice amount based on the chicken, about .1 tablespoon per chicken breast.
Step 1. Cut chicken into 1 to 2-inch pieces. Mix the chicken in the taco spice mix.
Step 2. Add the chicken, a cup of water and half a teaspoon of salt to the Instant Pot and stir through.
Step 3. Cook on High pressure for 10 minutes, with 5 minutes natural release followed by quick release.
Step 4. Remove the chicken from the pot and shred it into slices using a knife and a fork.
While the chicken for tacos is cooking, toast the tortillas until slightly puffed up and golden brown in a frying pan. Store warm tortillas under a towel. Slice avocado and prepare the salsa verde for the table.
Build your tacos: shredded chicken, a couple of avocado slices and a teaspoon or two of salsa verde. Fresh cilantro is optional if you happen to have it.
MORE INSTANT POT CHICKEN RECIPES
- Chipotle Chicken Enchiladas (with Video)
- Orange Chicken (Step-By-Step Recipe)
- Chicken Breasts & Gravy (Step-By-Step)
- Incredible Chicken Souvlaki Rice
Learn how to make quick and easy Instant Pot chicken tacos with avocado and salsa verde. This 5-ingredient recipe is perfect for speedy dinners, when on the budget, while travelling with your Instant Pot or making a last-minute meal for friends.
2–3 medium chicken breasts, cut into 1– to 2-inch pieces
2–3 tablespoons favourite taco spice mix
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup water
A jar of salsa verde
Optional: fresh cilantro and lime
The recipe works with either 2 or 3 chicken breasts using the same amount of water. Adjust the taco spice amount based on the chicken, 1 tablespoon per chicken breast.
- Prep. Cut chicken into 1 to 2-inch pieces. Mix the chicken in the taco spice mix.
- Add ingredients. Add the seasoned chicken, a cup of water and half a teaspoon of salt to the Instant Pot and stir through.
- Set & cook. Secure and lock the lid; make sure the pressure handle is pointing to Sealing. Select Manual/Pressure Cook and adjust the timer to 10 minutes on HIGH pressure. After a few seconds, the ON sign will come on, indicating the pressure is building (you might also hear 3 beeps on some models); pressurizing will take about 7 minutes, and then the 5-minute timer will begin.
- Once the timer is done, allow the pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes and after, manually let off the remaining steam (quick release).
- Prepare other ingredients. In a hot frying pan or the oven, toast tortillas until slightly puffed up and golden brown. Stor warm tortillas under a towel. Slice avocado and prepare the salsa verde for the table.
- Finish the chicken. Open the lid. Remove the chicken pieces to a bowl and shred them into strips using a knife and fork; you can also dice the meat. Scoop a couple of tablespoons of the cooking broth over the shredded chicken.
- Build your tacos!
Pressurizing time: 7 minutes | Cooking under pressure: 10 minutes (on HIGH) | Release: 5 minutes NPR + Quick Release Total cooking time: 22 minutes
CHICKEN: you can also use 4 x skinless chicken thighs in this recipe.
ADDITIONAL TOPPINGS: fresh cilantro, grated cheese if you like, diced pineapple works well here as well.
- Serving Size: 1 taco with chicken, avocado + 1 tbsp salsa verde
- Calories: 217
- Sugar: 1.7 g
- Sodium: 493.2 mg
- Fat: 7.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 21.3 g
- Protein: 15.7 g
- Cholesterol: 36.5 mg
Keywords: Instant Pot, Pressure Cooker, Chicken, Tacos, Salsa Verde, Dinner, Easy, Quick