This Instant Pot Shredded Chicken breast recipe is quick and easy and results in a versatile protein that can be used in multiple meals such as shredded chicken wraps, healthy salads or a delicious, easy ramen noodle soup. Great for meal prep and batch cooking ahead of time.
This Instant Pot shredded chicken recipe is a hassle-free way to make tender, flavor-packed chicken in a short time. Made with chicken breast and a few seasonings, this protein meal prep food can be stored in the fridge or freezer and can be used in multiple dishes.
So, let’s grab your Instant Pot and get started on this delicious dish!
Chicken -In this shredded chicken recipe, we are using chicken breasts cut into 2-3 pieces. We recommend cutting the thicker part of the chicken breast in halves, going lengthways, and trying to create pieces of similar thickness. This way, all parts will be cooked evenly.
Flavor base – the chicken is cooked in chicken broth which alone will infuse the meat with flavor, however, we are also adding paprika, garlic and onion powders, salt and pepper. This simple combination of seasonings gives the chicken a delicious taste that is versatile and can be used in many dishes.
You will find the full recipe with ingredients and nutritional breakdown in the recipe card below.
There are two stages to making shredded chicken in the pressure cooker. The first stage is to pressure cook the seasoned chicken breasts in a broth. The second stage is to cool the cooked chicken and shred or thinly slice the meat with a fork and knife. The meat can be stored with the broth to keep it from drying out.
Let’s break it down with step-by-step photos and video. You can use a 6-quart or 8-quart Instant Pot.
Step 1. Cut the chicken breasts into 2 pieces each, going lengthways, making sure to slice through the thickest part of the breast.
Step 2. Combine the seasonings in a bowl and sprinkle evenly over the chicken. Rub all pieces with the seasoning mixture and set aside.
Step 3. Add 1.5 cups of chicken broth or stock into the Instant Pot and nestle the chicken pieces in the liquid.
Step 4. Close the lid. Set the Instant Pot to Manual/Pressure Cook mode on HIGH for 12 minutes.
Step 5. After the cooking cycle is complete, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes before releasing the remaining pressure.
Step 6. Remove the chicken from the Instant Pot and place it on a cutting board. Let it cool down. Using two forks, shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces, strips.
Use the chicken right away or cool down and store in an airtight container. You can pour the cooking broth over the chicken, which will prevent it from drying out.
Here are some tips to make the best Instant Pot shredded chicken.
- Make sure the chicken breasts are cut into even-sized pieces. Some chicken breasts are thinner or thicker and even each piece will have a thicker end. Cut them into 2-3 pieces, especially through the thicker part, to ensure even cooking.
- Use the chicken cooking broth. The broth is going to be infused with all the seasonings and chicken flavor and can be used in soups, stew, risottos and more. It’s also great for pouring over the shredded chicken when storing it in the fridge or freezer to help it stay moist and tender.
- Make it with chicken thighs. You can easily use chicken thighs in this recipe recipe. Increase the cooking time from 12 to 15 minutes and keep everything else the same.
Shredded Chicken Variations
You can customize this recipe to create delicious variations of shredded chicken. Here are some ideas:
- Add Italian, Cajun, or Taco seasoning instead of the spices we used to create a new flavor for the chicken. French onion soup mix is another delicious flavor base.
- Make an Asian version with minced garlic, ginger or lemongrass in the cooking broth. You can also add soy sauce OR coconut milk to the chicken.
- Finish the cooked chicken with BBQ sauce, Buffalo sauce or Ranch dressing for a creamy, tangy, sweet or spicy version.
- Add a can of diced tomatoes and use ⅔ cup of stock to make a tangy, red sauce.
- Make it with frozen chicken. Add 2 extra minutes to the pressure cooking time.
Easy Shredded Chicken Meals
We have a whole roundup post on what to do with shredded chicken but here are three easy meal ideas.
Shredded Chicken Wraps or Sandwich
You can use bread or wraps to make a quick and easy lunch with shredded chicken, mayonnaise, lettuce, cheese, tomatoes and whatever else you like. Try adding some Caesar dressing and Parmesan cheese or Buffalo sauce and blue cheese.
Easy Chicken Salad
You don’t need any fancy ingredients to make a healthy and delicious chicken salad. Start with a lettuce or leafy salad base, and add seasonal crunchy vegetables like cucumbers, celery, bell peppers, radishes, or tomatoes. Finish with shredded chicken, your favorite salad dressing and a little feta or another cheese.
Ramen Noodles With Shredded Chicken
Pimp up those lazy ramen noodles with shredded chicken for extra protein. This will make the meal more satiating and nutritious.
Storing Shredded Chicken
- Fridge: Store in an airtight container or bag for 4-5 days.
- Freezer: Store in an airtight container or bag for up to 6 months. Defrost before using in the fridge.
- Tip: store with some of the cooking broth to prevent the chicken from drying out.
MORE CHICKEN BREAST INSTANT POT RECIPES
Rate This Recipe
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- 2 lb chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 1.5 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Green onions chopped
- In a small bowl, mix together salt, pepper, paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder.
- Cut the chicken breasts in halves going lengthways; make sure to cut the thickest part evenly.. Rub all pieces with the seasoning mixture and set aside.
- Pour in the chicken broth into the Instant Pot and nestle the chicken breasts inside.
- Set the Instant Pot to Manual/Pressure Cook mode on HIGH for 12 minutes.
- After the cooking time is done, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes before releasing the remaining pressure.
- Remove the chicken from the Instant Pot and place it on a cutting board. Let it cool down.
- Using two forks, shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces, strips.
MORE INSTANT POT CHICKEN RECIPES
- Instant Pot Chicken Teriyaki
- Instant Pot Chicken Thigh Recipes
- Instant Pot Chicken Soup Recipes
- Instant Pot Chicken Recipes For Every Occasion
COMMENT OR RATE THIS RECIPE
Got questions or feedback? Leave a comment. Made the recipe? Please leave a rating as it helps other readers to discover this dish. Your name and email are required to avoid spam comments; they are never used for any purpose or shared with third parties.