Italian tomato Instant Pot meatballs should be a staple in every kitchen. The pressure cooker makes this classic quick and easy and you can make it from scratch with all-natural ingredients and no added sugar. This recipe is Whole30, paleo, and gluten-free.
Homemade Italian meatballs are a staple in every kitchen, and making them in an Instant Pot skips the messy step of pan-frying the meat before it hits the sauce, making this dish even easier and quicker to prepare. While the more traditional Italian meatballs are made with half beef and half pork, this Instant Pot meatball recipe uses ground beef only.
We decided to make a gluten-free, paleo and Whole30 friendly version, so these meatballs contain no breadcrumbs or other fillers and the sauce is made from scratch in the pot rather than using a store-bought sauce variety. That means no added sugar!
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT MEATBALLS IN TOMATO SAUCE
You will find the full list of ingredients, instructions and nutrition breakdown in the recipe card below but here are some basic steps to follow:
- Dice the ingredients and mix the meatball mixture.
- Roll the meatballs and set aside.
- Saute the onions, chili and garlic in a little oil in the Instant Pot. Add the meatballs and tinner tomatoes and stir through.
- Pressure cook on HIGH for 5 minutes with 10-minute natural pressure release. Total cooking time would be about 20-25 minutes with pressure build-up.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH TOMATO MEATBALLS
You can serve these over any steamed veggies, spaghetti squash noodles or cauliflower rice for a paleo/Whole30 version. Try making our Instant Pot green beans or broccoli as a side dish. There are lots of Whole30 noodle and pasta alternatives to make.
For a regular or more decadent meal, serve these over spaghetti, rice or freshly sliced baguette topped with freshly grated cheese for a more decadent meal. We hope you enjoy this recipe!
PS. Leftover meatballs can be frozen for up to 3 months.
MORE INSTANT POT MEATBALL RECIPESPrint
Homemade Instant Pot meatballs in Italian tomato sauce made from scratch. This is a healthy meatball recipe with no added sugar or breadcrumbs. It is gluten-free, paleo and Whole30 friendly.
For the meatballs
- 1.5 lb / 700 g ground beef (beef mince)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons paprika powder
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt (optional, if not using, add 1/2 tsp regular salt)
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1/2 long fresh red chili, chopped (or 1/2 tsp red chili flakes or powder)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely diced
- 1 can diced tinned tomatoes (400 ml)
- Combine the ground beef with the spices and salt in a bowl and mix through well using clean hands. Roll the mixture into small 2-inch balls and set aside.
- Press the Sauté key on the Instant Pot (it should say Normal, 30 mins). Add the olive oil, onions, chill and salt and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring a few times. Then press Keep Warm/Cancel.
- Add the meatballs, sprinkle with garlic and pour over the tinned tomatoes. Stir through and spread the meatballs evenly in the sauce.
- Place and lock the lid, making sure the steam releasing handle is pointing to Sealing. Press Manual, High pressure and set to 5 minutes. After 3 beeps the pressure cooker will start going.
- Release the pressure naturally, for about 10 minutes, which will finish cooking the meatballs. Follow by a quick release to let out any remaining pressure.
- Serve over spaghetti, rice, sliced baguettes or with a side of cauliflower rice or steamed vegetables for a Whole30/Paleo friendly meal.
- Serving Size: 3-4 meatballs and sauce
- Calories: 302
- Sugar: 2.5 g
- Sodium: 1285.6 mg
- Fat: 12.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 7.2 g
- Fiber: 2.5 g
- Protein: 39.5 g
- Cholesterol: 105 mg
Keywords: Italian, Ground Beef, Tomatoes