This gorgeous savory paleo recipe for Instant Pot Swedish meatballs is by Andrea Wyckoff of Forest & Fauna and is one of our favourites from The Paleo AIP Instant Pot Cookbook. It’s AIP, paleo and gluten-free friendly.
Made in a pressure cooker, these succulent and flavoursome Swedish meatballs are a great dish to share with friends and family around the holidays or on the weekend. Cooked with mushrooms and broth with for tasty gravy finish, this AIP, paleo, and keto friendly recipe is sure to become an Instant Pot favourite.
The recipe is from The Paleo AIP Instant Pot Cookbook (community eBook) and you can read our full review of it here.
Notes from the cook: You can substitute ¼ cup red wine or 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar/balsamic vinegar for the coconut aminos, if needed.
Shopping for ingredients? Coconut aminos can be purchased online, and are great to have on hand for AIP cooking. You can also get these ingredients online – dried chopped onion, dried sage, ground mace, bone broth (we love this collagen-rich brand).
Serve these meatballs over cauliflower rice, sweet potato mash or with a side of vegetables.Print
- 1 lb / 450 g ground beef
- 1 lb / 450 g ground pork
- ¼ cup minced fresh parsley (divided)
- 2 tablespoons dried chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- ½ teaspoon ground mace
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms (button or crimini)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- ½ cup bone broth (or coconut milk, or water)
- 3 tablespoons coconut aminos
- In a bowl, mix together ground beef, pork, 3 tablespoons minced parsley, dried onion, sage, mace, and salt. Once thoroughly mixed, form into meatballs about 1-inch in diameter.
- Place mushrooms, onion, broth/coconut milk/water, and coconut aminos into the Instant Pot. Add the meatballs.
- Close and lock the lid. Press the MEAT/STEW button and set cooking time to 35 minutes. Once the time is up, quick release the pressure.
- Using a slotted spoon gently remove meatballs and transfer to a serving platter.
- Using an immersion blender or a high-speed blender, purée the cooked mushrooms, onions, and
- broth into a nice creamy gravy. If the gravy is too thick, add a little more bone broth/coconut
- milk/water until the right consistency is reached.
- Pour gravy over meatballs and garnish with remaining tablespoon of minced parsley. This dish makes a wonderful appetizer as is, or main course when served over spaghetti squash,
- cauliflower rice, sautéed veggies, or warmed zucchini noodles.
Keywords: Swedish Meatballs Mushrooms Gravy AIP Paleo Parsley Sage Onions Ground Beef Pork