This hearty sweet potato tortilla soup is super fast and easy with an Instant Pot pressure cooker. Top with your favourite toppings such as avocado or sour cream.
When it comes to hearty one-pot meals, a warm tortilla soup is always a winning choice. In this recipe, we’re sharing an Instant Pot version of a tortilla soup made with sweet potatoes, black beans, and a blend of gorgeous warm spices. We have to warn you: it is damn tasty and you’ll be going back for seconds!!!
This is a vegetarian and vegan-friendly dish (serve without sour cream and cheese), that is also free of gluten or any added sugar. You can find more vegetarian Instant Pot recipes here.
Stovetop method. Okay, because we know how delicious this soup is, we want to give you a stovetop option too. You can repeat the first few steps in a pot on the stove, and once you add the sweet potatoes, beans and liquids, simply cook over medium heat for 15 minutes, until the sweet potato is soft.
You might also like:Print
- 1 large brown onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3–4 large garlic cloves, finely diced
- 1/2 red chili, sliced
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped cilantro (stalks and leaves)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 lb / 550 g sweet potato, diced into cubes
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 2 cups chopped tinned tomatoes
- 3 cups water
- 1 cube vegetable stock cube
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 avocado, diced
- A handful of fresh cilantro/coriander, roughly chopped
- A handful of corn tortilla chips, crumbled over the top
- A dollop of sour cream (in bowls, per person, optional)
- 1–2 tablespoons of grated cheddar (in bowls, per person, optional)
- Press the Sauté key on the Instant Pot (it should say Normal, 30 mins). Add the onions, olive oil and one teaspoon of salt and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring a few times.
- Add the garlic, chili, cilantro, spices and the remaining salt and stir through. Add the sweet potatoes, beans, tomatoes, water and vegetable stock cube. Stir through well and press Keep Warm/Cancel function key to stop the Sauté process.
- Place and lock the lid, making sure the steam releasing handle is pointing to Sealing. Press Manual, High pressure and set to 3 minutes. After 3 beeps the pressure cooker will start going. Once the IP stops cooking, allow 5 minutes for natural release and then use the quick release method to let off the rest of the steam and pressure.
- Open the lid and stir in the juice of 1/2 lime. You can also add extra fresh cilantro directly in the pot.
- Serve the soup in bowls, topped with diced avocado and crispy corn tortilla chips. Add a dollop of sour cream and some cheddar cheese on top, if you like.
Black beans. We used canned black beans but you can use any other type of legumes for added protein. You’re welcome to add diced chicken to the soup if you like, but we only don’t think it needs it.
Dairy-free version. While this dish is extra hearty with a dollop of sour cream and some grated cheddar, you don’t really need them and we promise that you will enjoy the soup as is with some diced avocado and crispy corn tortilla chips crumbled over the top.