This hearty Instant Pot sweet potato tortilla soup is super fast and easy with a pressure cooker. Top with your favourite toppings such as avocado or sour cream, and crispy corn chips, of course. This tortilla soup recipe is gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan-friendly. Weight Watchers: 13 SmartPoints.
When it comes to hearty one-pot meals, warm tortilla soup is always a winning choice. In this recipe, we’re sharing an Instant Pot version of a tortilla soup made with sweet potatoes, black beans, and a blend of gorgeous warm spices. We have to warn you: it is damn tasty and you’ll be going back for seconds!!!
This Instant Pot sweet potato tortilla soup is a vegetarian and vegan-friendly dish (serve without sour cream and cheese or with dairy-free alternatives), that is also free of gluten or any added sugar. You can find more of our vegan Instant Pot recipes here.
“I love this recipe! I’ve made it 3 times already. My 3year old eats it all, couldn’t’ be happier. Thanks so much!”
SWEET POTATO TORTILLA SOUP INGREDIENTS
You can use regular orange sweet potato or Japanese sweet potato (with white flesh). Carrots, butternut squash or other pumpkins can also be used as they provide similar sweetness and starch.
Aromatics such as onions, garlic and cilantro and spices such as cumin, paprika and coriander seed powders are easily accessible and you might already have them in your pantry.
Black beans. We used canned black beans but you can use any other type of tinned legumes for added protein. If you want to use dried legumes, you will need to precook them first, which you can do in your Instant Pot (check out our Instant Pot Legumes 101 here). You’re not vegan or vegetarian, you can also add diced chicken to the soup if you like, but we don’t think it needs it. You can also try our Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup here.
Dairy-free version. While this dish is extra hearty with a dollop of sour cream and some grated cheddar, you don’t really need them and we promise that you will enjoy the soup as is with some diced avocado and crispy corn tortilla chips crumbled over the top. You could add vegan sour cream or cheese if you have access to those.
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT SWEET POTATO TORTILLA SOUP
Making this soup is super easy and you can find the full recipe with ingredients below but here are some step-by-step pictures to guide you along.
Once you have sauteed the aromatics and spices, add the rest of the ingredients and set to cook on HIGH pressure for 3 minutes. Yes, it’s really quick as the only ingredient that needs cooking is sweet potato and it doesn’t take very long under pressure. With the pressure buildup and a natural release of about 5 minutes, the whole cooking time is about 15-20 minutes.
This gives you plenty of time to prepare all desired toppings: diced avocado, fried corn chips, chopped onions, cilantro, lime and sour cream and cheese, if using those.
CAN I DOUBLE THE SOUP INGREDIENTS?
You can double it as long as the liquid doesn’t exceed the limits. You can cook it for the same amount of time – it will just take longer to come to pressure which should account for the additional volume of ingredients.
MORE DELICIOUS INSTANT POT RECIPES
- Corn, Sweet potato & Chipotle soup
- Lentil Soup (Vegan, Gluten-Free)
- Potato Soup With Poblano Peppers
- Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana
- Find all of our Instant Pot soup recipes here
- Creamy Potato & Corn Chowder With Dill Pickle
When it comes to hearty one-pot meals, a warm tortilla soup is always a winning choice. This hearty sweet potato tortilla soup is super fast and easy with an Instant Pot pressure cooker. Top with your favourite toppings such as avocado or sour cream. This is a vegetarian and vegan-friendly dish (serve without sour cream and cheese), that is also free of gluten or any added sugar.
1 onion, finely diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
4 garlic cloves, finely diced
1/2 red chili, sliced
2 tablespoons roughly chopped cilantro (stalks and leaves)
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
1 teaspoon paprika
1 lb / 550 g sweet potato, diced into cubes
1 can black beans, rinsed (about 1.5 cups of cooked beans)
2 cups chopped tinned tomatoes (no added sugar)
3 cups water
1 cube vegetable stock cube
Juice of 1/2 lime
1 avocado, diced (1/4 per serving)
A handful of fresh cilantro/coriander, roughly chopped
A handful of corn tortilla chips, crumbled over the top
Optional: A dollop of sour cream (in bowls, per person, optional)
Optional: 1 tablespoon of grated cheddar (in bowls, per person, optional)
- Press the Sauté key on the Instant Pot (it should say Normal, 30 mins). Add the onions, olive oil and one teaspoon of salt and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring a few times.
- Add the garlic, chili, cilantro, spices and the remaining salt and stir through. Add the sweet potatoes, beans, tomatoes, water and vegetable stock cube. Stir through well and press Keep Warm/Cancel function key to stop the Sauté process.
- Place and lock the lid, making sure the steam releasing handle is pointing to Sealing. Press Manual, High pressure and set to 3 minutes. After 3 beeps the pressure cooker will start going. Once the IP stops cooking, allow 5 minutes for natural release and then use the quick release method to let off the rest of the steam and pressure.
- Open the lid and stir in the juice of 1/2 lime. You can also add extra fresh cilantro directly in the pot.
- Serve the soup in bowls, topped with diced avocado and crispy corn tortilla chips. Add a dollop of sour cream and some cheddar cheese on top, if you like.
Stovetop method. Okay, because we know how delicious this soup is, we want to give you a stovetop option too. You can repeat the first few steps in a pot on the stove, and once you add the sweet potatoes, beans and liquids, simply cook over medium heat for 15 minutes, until the sweet potato is soft.
Weight Watchers: 13 SmartPoints (without sour cream or cheese). Find more Weight Watchers Instant Pot recipes here.
SAVE THIS SWEET POTATO TORTILLA SOUP RECIPE TO PINTEREST