Potatoes + leeks + poblano peppers + chorizo + creamy cheesy goodness = bliss in a bowl. Papas y rajas (potatoes and peppers) is a popular Mexican flavour combo. This Instant Pot potato soup with poblano peppers takes these two delicious flavours to the next level. This is a guest recipe from the Amazing Mexican Favorites with Your Instant Pot by Emily Sunwell-Vidaurri and Rudy Vidaurri.
This delicious recipe for Instant Pot potato soup with poblano peppers (also known as Sopa de Poblano con Papa) is from our recently reviewed cookbook by Emily Sunwell-Vidaurri and Rudy Vidaurri called the Amazing Mexican Favorites with Your Instant Pot. It’s a gluten-free, hearty dish perfect for those cold nights or when you need a little comfort meal.
WHAT ARE POBLANO PEPPERS?
Poblano peppers are smaller-sized green peppers with a wide top and pointy bottom and they are mildly spicy compared to regular bell peppers. When dried, they are also known as ancho chiles. You can replace poblano peppers with regular green bell peppers and add a small green or red chilli pepper to the mix.
This soup freezes really well so you can make a large batch ahead of time and enjoy over a few months.
Rate This Recipe
Instant Pot Poblano Peppers Potato Soup
- 3 poblano peppers
- 3 tablespoons butter or ghee, avocado oil (42 g)
- 1 leek white and pale green parts only, sliced
- 5 fresh garlic cloves crushed
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 russet potatoes peeled and chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth or vegetable stock (1 liter)
- 1 cup sour cream heavy cream (230 g/ml)
- ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (55 g)
- ½ lb Spanish-style chorizo pan-fried, sliced into small pieces (225 g)
- Optional Toppings: sour cream freshly chopped cilantro/spring onions
- Preheat the oven to broil with a rack in the highest position.
- Place the poblano peppers on a baking sheet and broil until they start to blacken, about 3 minutes. Remove from the oven and when cool enough to handle, carefully peel the blackened skin off. Remove the stems and discard. Coarsely chop the peppers, then set them aside.
- Add the healthy fat of your choice to the Instant Pot and press “Sauté.” When the fat has melted, add the leek, sautéing for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, then add the garlic, salt, dill, paprika, cumin and black pepper and continue to sauté for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Press the “Keep Warm/Cancel” button. Add the potatoes, roasted peppers, and broth.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot making sure the steam-release valve is sealed. Press the “Manual” button and set for 9 minutes.
- When the Instant Pot is done and beeps, press “Keep Warm/Cancel.” Using an oven mitt, “quick release”/open the steam-release valve. When the steam venting stops and the silver dial drops, carefully open the lid.
- In batches, ladle the soup into a blender, taking care to fill only about half of the blender (hot liquids will expand, so please use caution). Blend on a low setting just until puréed and combined. Add the puréed soup back to the Instant Pot and press “Sauté,” bring to a boil and give it a few stirs. Add the sour cream and cheese and stir until fully combined. Turn off the Instant Pot by pressing “Keep Warm/Cancel.”
- Serve immediately garnished with browned chorizo and the toppings of your choice.