This Mexican-inspired Instant Pot sweet potato and corn soup is made with healthy ingredients, flavourful spices, lime and a little chipotle for a smoky, chilli kick. It’s gluten-free, vegan-friendly, light and super quick and easy to make.
This delicious Instant Pot corn soup is adapted from a recipe by Yotam Ottolenghi. We added sweet potatoes for extra body, additional spices and pickled roasted peppers for a fun flavour boost.
This soup can be done with fresh or frozen corn and can be made ahead of time as it keeps well in the fridge and can be frozen. It’s gluten-free and vegetarian-friendly and can be made completely plant-based by using coconut yoghurt when serving.
It’s a nutritious soup but is quite low in calories, so it’s great as a light meal for dinner or lunch or can be served with a side of a toasted bread roll or as a starter for a more filling meal.
HOW TO MAKE SWEET POTATO INSTANT SOUP
You will find full ingredients, instructions and nutritional breakdown in the recipe card below but here are the basic steps for how to make this corn and sweet potato soup.
Step 1. Dice up all ingredients and turn the Instant Pot to Saute.
Step 2. Cook the onions in olive oil for 2-3 minutes and season with a little salt.
Step 3. Add the rest of the ingredients and pressure cook on HIGH for 6 minutes with 5-10 minute pressure release (a total of about 20-25 minutes with pressure build-up).
Step 4. Stir in some yoghurt or sour cream (if using) and a little lime juice. Serve hot!
MORE INSTANT POT CORN & SWEET POTATO RECIPES
- Instant Pot Sweet Potato Tortilla Soup
- Learn how to make pressure cooker corn on the cob with Cajun butter
- Make this delicious side dish of Instant Pot yellow rice with peas and corn.
- Chicken and corn soup with spinach – a Chinese classic just got healthier!
- Check out this Instant Pot Potato & Corn Chowder
- Plus, get inspired with the best Instant Pot soup recipes here.
This Mexican-inspired corn and sweet potato Instant Pot soup is made with healthy ingredients, flavourful spices, lime and a little chipotle for a smoky, chili kick. It’s gluten-free, vegan-friendly, and super quick and easy to make.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium red or white onion, diced
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 corns on the cob, kernels shaved off with a knife (or 1 ½ cups of frozen corn kernels)
1 large sweet potato, diced into small cubes
2 medium carrots, diced into small cubes
3 cloves garlic, diced
3 peels of lime rind
2 teaspoons cumin powder
2 teaspoons coriander seeds (ground or whole crushed seeds)
1 teaspoon chipotle chill flakes or 1 chipotle chilli, chopped up
750 ml (3 x 250 ml cups) vegetable stock (or use water and vegetable stock cube)
Juice of ½ lime
¼ cup sliced red roasted peppers (pickled ones like these)
¼ cup full-fat thick yoghurt or coconut yoghurt
1/3 cup chopped cilantro/coriander leaves
To serve: extra cilantro, yoghurt and fried shallots.
- Turn the Instant Pot on and press the Sauté function key.
- Add the olive oil, onions and salt to the pot and cook for 2-3 minutes, until softened slightly.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, stir through and press Keep Warm/Cancel to stop the sautéing process.
- Place and lock the lid, making sure the steam valve is pointing to Sealing. Set the Instant Pot to Manual, HIGH pressure and adjust the time to 6 minutes. After 3 beeps, the Instant Pot will start to build up the pressure and the cooking will commence (this should take 5-10 minutes).
- Once the cooking time is up, release the pressure naturally for 5 minutes, then use the quick release method to let off the rest of the steam (point the steam valve to Venting carefully).
- Open the lid and stir in the lime juice, yoghurt, roasted peppers and cilantro. Serve with extra cilantro, yoghurt and fried shallots on the side or in the bowls.