This Instant Pot chicken and corn soup is super nourishing and delicious. It’s a healthier, homemade pressure cooker version of the popular Chinese soup. This recipe is gluten-free and dairy-free.
Chicken and corn soup is a popular Chinese dish. It’s often served as a starter at restaurants and you might have tried it warmed up out of a can. In today’s recipe, we show you how to make a healthier, homemade Instant Pot chicken soup version using fresh corn (frozen is also okay), good quality poultry and stock, and some nutritious spinach.
This Instant Pot chicken and corn soup is very nourishing (perfect for colds and flu!), super tasty, and best of all, it is easy to make. It’s gluten-free and dairy-free, high in protein and healthy fats. Corn adds a lovely sweetness to this otherwise savoury creation. Ready in 30 minutes!
WHAT YOU NEED FOR INSTANT POT CHICKEN & CORN SOUP
We used homemade chicken stock, which is less salty than a store-bought. You can buy salt-reduced chicken stock, or, if using chicken stock cubes and water, omit the salt from the recipe and taste for seasoning once the soup is finished.
White potato: this can be replaced by sweet potato if you’re avoiding nightshades.
Corn: frozen corn kernels can be used, see ingredients for quantities.
Aromatics such as ginger, garlic and scallions and condiments used in the recipe are readily available in most supermarkets.
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT CHICKEN & CORN SOUP
You will find the full list of ingredients, instructions and nutritional breakdown for this soup in the recipe card below. Here are the basic steps and pics to guide you along.
Step 1. Prepare the ingredients. Dice the chicken, aromatics, potatoes and cut off the corn kernels if using fresh off the cob.
Step 2. Saute the aromatics for a few minutes and process some of the fresh corn in a blender with water until creamy and smooth.
Step 3. Add the rest of the cooking ingredients, corn kernels and smooth corn cream to the pot and stir through. Don’t add the eggs or spinach at this stage! Pressure cook on HIGH for 15 minutes with a quick release or 5-minute natural release followed by QR.
Step 4. Finish the soup with spinach and stir in the whisked egg while on Saute.
MORE INSTANT POT SOUP RECIPES
- Instant Pot Chicken Bone Broth
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
- Instant Pot Vegan Udon Soup
This Instant Pot chicken and corn soup is nourishing (prefect for colds and flu!), super tasty, and best of all, it is easy to make. It’s gluten-free and dairy-free.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or olive oil
- 2 medium chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 3 scallions/spring onions, white and pale green parts chopped and the green tops reserved for garnish
- 1 large white potato, peeled and diced into small cubes ( about 8-9 oz/250-300 g)
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 4 cobs of fresh corn (or 3 cups of frozen corn kernels)
- 4 cups of chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons tamari sauce or light soy sauce
- 2 large cloves of garlic, diced
- 1/3 teaspoon white pepper (black is also fine but white is more Chinese)
- 1 teaspoon salt
To finish off
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder or corn starch
- 3–4 handfuls of baby spinach leaves
- 2 eggs
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- A handful of fresh cilantro/coriander leaves
- Press the Sauté key on the Instant Pot (it should say Normal, 30 mins). Add coconut oil, chicken, spring onion, ginger and potato to the pot and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring a few times.
- Using a knife, shave or cut away the corn kernels from the cobs, you should have about 3 full cups of corn kernels.
- Add 1 cup of corn kernels to a blender of a food processor together with 1 cup of chicken stock. Process until smooth and creamy, about 15 seconds.
- After 5 minutes, press Keep Warm/Cancel key on the Instant Pot. Add all of the corn, including the creamy corn mixture, plus the remaining chicken stock and the rest of the ingredients to the pot and stir through (EXCEPT for the ingredients that you will use to finish off the soup). Place and lock the lid, make sure the steam releasing handle is pointing to Sealing. Press Poultry (or Manual, High Pressure, 15 minutes). After 3 beeps the pressure cooker will start going.
- Once the timer goes off, allow the pressure to release for 5 minutes and then use the quick release method before opening the lid.
- Press Sauté key again. Add the spinach to the soup and mix through.
- In a small cup, whisk together the eggs and slowly pour the mixture into the soup while stirring it at the same time, creating thin threads of cooked egg. Stir through for 15-20 seconds and turn the pot off.
- At this stage, dissolve and whisk arrowroot in a few tablespoons of water or soup liquid and stir into the soup, to thicken. You can do this in a small bowl or a cup.
- Finally, stir in the lime juice and taste for salt. Add more salt or soy sauce, if needed. Serve with fresh cilantro/coriander leaves and the remaining spring onions on top.
Keywords: Corn, Spinach, Chinese, Asian