This hearty, Italian Instant Pot pork stew with beans and tomatoes is an absolute family favourite. Made with ground pork meat, juicy tomatoes and legumes of your choice, this dish is nutritious and affordable.
If you love Italian minestrone or a good Bolognese sauce, you will love this gorgeous, Tuscan Instant Pot pork stew. It can be made with any ground meat of your choice – pork, turkey, chicken or beef – and is incredibly easy and quick to prepare.
And while it’s made with pork, the dish is more plant-based than meat-heavy as we’re only using half a pound of ground pork for 4 servings, and it is full of fibre-rich legumes and nutritious veggies. You can modify this into a vegetarian dish by replacing the meat with diced mushrooms instead.
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT PORK STEW
It’s one of our favourite one-pot dishes the whole family will love. Once you sautee a few ingredients, you simply dump everything in and set the Instant Pot to do the work. This Italian pork stew freezes well and is delicious the day after, too. Here are some step-by-step pics to follow along with the recipe below.
MORE INSTANT POT RECIPES TO TRY
Italian-style Instant Pot Lamb Shanks With White Beans
Quick & Easy Italian Farmhouse Soup
Instant Pot Italian Tomato Meatballs
Instant Pot Black-Eyed Peas With Sausage & Kale
Favourite Instant Pot Italian Recipes
Get Inspired By These Healthy Winter Stews
This hearty, Italian Instant Pot pork stew is an absolute family favourite, featuring ground pork meat, juicy tomatoes, and legumes of your choice.
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced into cubes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 0.5 lb ground pork meat (250–280 g)
- 3.5 oz / 100 g diced smoked bacon (i.e. lardons or speck)
- 3–4 fresh thyme sprigs (or about 1 teaspoon of dried thyme)
- 1/2 red chili, diced (or ½ teaspoon dried chili flakes)
- 3 large cloves of garlic, diced
- 1 lb / 450-500g white potatoes, peeled and diced (3 medium potatoes)
- 2 cups cooked mixed beans of choice (cannellini, navy beans or borlotti beans etc, canned are fine)
- 500 g / 2.5 cups tinned chopped tomatoes or tinned cherry tomatoes (tomato passata/puree can also be used, we love Mutti brand of canned tomatoes)
- 1 cup water
- 2 bay leaves (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- To serve: grated Parmesan cheese or other cheese of choice
- Prepare all the ingredients and turn on the Instant Pot. Press the Sauté function key and let the pot to heat up slightly. Add the olive oil, onion, celery and carrot with 1 teaspoon of salt and cook for 5 minutes, stirring a few times.
- Add the pork and diced bacon and cook together with the vegetables for about for 2-3 minutes, stirring through and breaking the meat apart with a spatula. Then, add the rest of the ingredients, except for fresh parsley and lemon juice, and stir through. Press Cancel/Keep Warm to stop the Sauté function.
- Place and lock the lid, making sure the steam valve is set to Sealing. Press Manual function, HIGH pressure and adjust the time to 6 minutes. After 3 beeps, the Instant Pot will start to build up the pressure, which will take about 5-7 minutes, and the cooking will begin. Once the timer goes off, allow 10 minutes for natural pressure release; then, use a quick pressure release method by carefully moving the valve to Venting.
- To finish the stew, stir in the lemon juice and parsley and serve with grated cheese on the side (if you wish).
Pork can be replaced with ground beef, chicken or turkey.