Vegan and gluten-free, this detox-friendly Instant Pot vegetable soup is hearty and nutritious, filled with veggies, greens and mushrooms. It’s a great example of a traditional Italian farmhouse soup.
Want a quick and easy soup that is hearty and nutritious? This Italian farmhouse-inspired Instant Pot vegetable soup is just the thing. It’s a tasty yet light (vegan-friendly) soup that is perfect for those nights when you want to give your digestion a break or if you feel like a need a lighter meal. You know those times, right?
WHAT’S GOOD ABOUT THIS SOUP?
I focused on accessible, nutrient-dense vegetables that are light and easy to digest. The best thing is that although this soup is detox and diet-friendly, it doesn’t skimp on the flavour. With the addition of savoury mushrooms, lots of garlic and herbs, this meal is bursting with tasty goodness and nutrients.
This veggie soup is very light and low in calories (under 200 calories per serving). But, as you can see from the full nutritional breakdown below the recipe, this dish is full of nutrients, especially vitamins C and K. Want to up vitamin D level? Add more mushrooms. Get a few more minerals like zinc and selenium? Top the finished soup with a handful of nuts and seeds. More calcium? Say cheese!
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT VEGETABLE SOUP
This soup is a great canvas, and as a painter, you can add whatever vegetables you have on hand. The most time-consuming part about making this vegetable soup is the chopping. Once all the veggies are ready, you will throw everything in and the soup cooks in no time at all.
Want to make it a bit heavier? Add some white potatoes or parsnips or a little more olive oil. Feel like turning it into an omnivore’s delight? Add some free-range chicken or ham or top it with grated cheese.
I used cavolo nero, which is a dark green, leafy, kale-like vegetable common in Italian cooking. You can use regular kale, spinach or collard greens instead. Dried porcini mushroom add the most amazing forest, umami flavour to this dish but if you can’t find any, feel free to use some dried shiitake, or just stick to fresh button mushrooms.
You can make a large batch to enjoy over a few days.
CAN I FREEZE THIS SOUP?
Yes, this vegetable soup freezes quite well and should keep in the freezer for up to 4 months. Having said that, it also lasts in the refrigerator for 4-5 days as it’s vegetarian. Speaking of cold things, you can also use a bunch of frozen vegetables in this soup.
MORE INSTANT POT SOUP RECIPES
- Instant Pot Lentil Soup (Vegan, Gluten-free)
- Instant Pot Potato Soup With Poblano Peppers
- Instant Pot Corn, Sweet Potato & Chipotle Soup
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
- Instant Pot Vegan Udon Soup
- More Instant Pot Soup Recipes here
This Italian-inspired Instant Pot vegetable soup is something you would find at a farmhouse. It’s full of veggies and is gluten-free and vegan vegetable soup. This meal is bursting with falvours and nutrients.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 long red chilli, sliced
- 2 celery sticks, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, halved lengthways and sliced
- 6 large button mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, diced
- A handful of dried porcini mushrooms (forest mushrooms, optional)
- 3–4 oz. / 100 grams cavolo nero/kale leaves (a medium bunch of kale), leaves removed from the hard stems and sliced roughly
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 cup tinned chopped tomatoes or tomato passata
- 1 litre (4 cups) vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- Lemon zest and chopped parsley for garnish
- Turn the Instant Pot on and press Sauté function key, the pot will start to heat up.
- Add coconut oil, onion, salt, celery and carrots and stir through. Cook for about a minute or two, while slicing the mushrooms.
- Add the chilli, mushrooms, garlic, and dried porcini mushrooms and stir through. Cook for 2 minutes on Sauté, while preparing cavolo nero/kale leaves and zucchini.
- Add the kale, zucchini, tomatoes, stock and bay leave and stir through. Press the OFF function key. Close and lock the lid of the Instant Pot. Check that the lid knob is turned to Sealing. Press Manual key, High Pressure, and set to 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, allow the pressure to release naturally for a couple of minutes and then use the quick release method to let the rest of the steam out. Serve in bowls with grated lemon zest and chopped parsley on top.
- If you eat dairy, feel free to grate some Parmesan cheese over the top.
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 143
- Sugar: 11.7 g
- Sodium: 904.1 mg
- Fat: 4.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 23.4 g
- Protein: 7.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Vegan, Healthy, Kale, Detox