Made with sweet kabocha squash and white beans, this Instant Pot turkey chili is hearty, nutritious, and full of flavour. The recipe is dairy-free, gluten-free, and can be made with ground or diced turkey or chicken.
This is a wonderful cold-weather recipe to make in the Instant Pot. Departing from the classic beef and tomato chili, this dish is made with white poultry meat such as ground turkey, cannellini or other white beans and sweet kabocha squash pumpkin or another winter squash of choice.
The kabocha pumpkin softens and integrates into the broth during cooking, and paired with warm spices and a little green chili it develops into the most delicious, sweetened sauce. We think you will love this one!
WHAT YOU NEED FOR INSTANT POT TURKEY CHILI
You can use ground turkey or chicken, or dice up turkey meat into small cubes. Any white meat, even pork, can be used in this recipe.
We used pre-cooked white beans, such as cannellini, but you can also pre-cook some dried white beans ahead of time. Using the Instant Pot, you can add 1 cup of dried beans to the pot together with 3 cups of water and set to Manual, 15 mins, High pressure with natural release. Otherwise, you can drain regular canned beans.
We used kabocha squash in this recipe, which is a sweeter type of pumpkin/winter squash. We love the combination of sweetness with the spices and chile, but regular butternut pumpkin can also be used.
Finally, as we wanted to make a dairy-free version, we used full-fat coconut milk. We suggest canned coconut milk that is at least 50-60% coconut content and not the coconut drink you can get these days. This is a good brand we like. Make sure to shake the can really well before pouring the milk in. Regular cooking cream or water can be used instead. If using water and chicken stock cubes, or chicken stock, we suggest stirring in some thickened cream or sour cream before serving.
Serve this white turkey chili over white or brown rice and top with freshly chopped cilantro, scallions and pickled jalapeños. If you eat cheese, a little-grated cheddar hits the spot as well!
MORE RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
- Instant Pot ground turkey recipes here.
- Vegan Pumpkin & Chickpea Chili
- Instant Pot Chili With Beef & Chorizo
- 25 Delicious Instant Pot Recipes From Around The World
- Instant Pot Potluck Dishes That Will Please The Crowd
- Delicious Healthy Winter Stews
Rate This Recipe
Instant Pot Turkey Chili With Kabocha Squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 1 celery stick finely diced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 long green chili pepper such as jalapeño sliced (seeds left in)
- 3 cloves garlic finely diced
- 1.5 lbs. ground turkey or turkey steaks, finely diced (700 g)
- 1 lb. kabocha squash or other sweet winter squash, peeled and diced into small cubes (about ½ of medium kabocha squash/Japanese pumpkin)
- 2 cups white beans or cannellini beans, canned (see notes on pre-cooking dried beans)
- 2 cubes of chicken stock we used organic Kallo brand
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed powder
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk canned coconut milk that is 50-60% coconut, not the diluted drink (400 ml)
- Juice of ½ lime
- To serve: fresh cilantro scallions and chopped pickled jalapeños, extra lime, grated cheese (optional)
- Press the Sauté key on the Instant Pot (it should say Normal, 30 mins). Add the olive oil, onions, celery and salt. Sauté for about 5 minutes, stirring a few times.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, except for lime juice and garnishes and stir through. Press Keep Warm/Cancel button to stop the sautéing.
- Press the Poultry button, it should say 15 mins. After 3 beeps, the IP will start building up the pressure and start the cooking process. Once the cooking finishes, allow natural release for about 10 minutes, then use the quick release the let off the rest of the steam.
- Carefully open the lid. Add the lime juice and stir through really well. Taste for salt. If needed, you can press the Sauté key again and cook the chili for 5-7 more minutes with the lid off, stirring a few times, as a way to thicken the sauce slightly.
- Serve this chili over cooked white or brown rice with freshly chopped cilantro, scallions, and pickled jalapeños. Grated cheese can also be added over the top.