When it comes to comfort food, you can’t beat a good chili recipe. Well, our Instant Pot beef and chorizo chili brings a unique flavor twist and is made without beans. This recipe is paleo, gluten-free and Whole30-friendly.
Who doesn’t love a good serving of steaming hot beef chili? Also known as chili con carne, this popular meat stew is perfectly suited to the Instant Pot and make-ahead meal prep. While the traditional version is made with meat and beans, we decided to opt for flavorful chorizo sausage instead of legumes. Chorizo adds the most incredible flavor to this pressure cooker chili dish.
COOKING BEEF & CHORIZO CHILI
We opted for grass-fed ground beef for this dish, which not only tastes amazing but comes with more nutritional benefits. If you don’t eat red meat, this recipe would work just as well with ground chicken or turkey.
Chorizo is a traditional Spanish sausage made with pork, lots of paprika, garlic and other spices. Added to stews or other braised dishes, it gives out the most delicious juices and fats into the dish, infusing it with those gorgeous Spanish flavors.
You can get chorizo sausage from most supermarkets and at your butcher. We like this brand on Amazon. Simply peel it and dice up to add to any meat stew or soup.
Get more ingredients for this meal on Amazon: We like to use organic tomato products as tomatoes are often sprayed with pesticides, and these organic tinned tomatoes and this tomato paste are good choices. We like Simply Organic spices for ground cumin and coriander seed powders.
You can serve this Instant Pot chili with white rice, steamed or pan-fried zucchini or cauliflower rice, chopped avocado and cilantro. This recipe makes a large batch of chili, so you can freeze the leftovers for future meals.
We hope you love this Instant Pot beef and chorizo chili as much as we did!
MORE INSTANT POT RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
- Ground Beef Recipes The Whole Family Will Love
- Hearty Italian Beef Ragu
- Cheeseburger Pasta With Ground Beef
- Spanish Rice With Chorizo
Hearty and nutritious, this Instant Pot chili is made with ground beef and chorizo minus the beans, making this recipe paleo and Whole30-friendly. Enjoy with a side of cauliflower rice, veggies or regular rice or quinoa, avocado and extra cilantro. a
1.5 tablespoons olive oil or coconut oil
1 large onion, roughly chopped
1 medium carrot, peeled and diced into small cubes
1 celery stick, diced into small cubes
7 oz / 200 g chorizo sausage, peeled and diced
1 long red chilli, finely diced
2.2 lb / 1 kg ground beef (grass-fed, if possible)
3 cloves garlic, finely diced
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander seed
2 cups canned chopped tomatoes (about 400 g)
4 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon Tamari or soy sauce (coconut aminos for those on Whole30/paleo)
1.5 teaspoons salt
2 bay leaves
Optional sides: pan-fried zucchini or cooked white rice, chopped avocado and cilantro.
- Turn the Instant Pot on and press the Sauté function key (it should say High, 30 mins). Add the oil, onion, carrot, celery, chorizo and chili and cook together for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the beef, garlic, spices and stir. Add the tinned tomatoes and paste and stir. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir together. Press Keep Warm/Cancel.
- Place and lock the lid, make sure the steam releasing handle is pointing to Sealing. Press MANUAL (High Pressure) and set to 15 minutes. After 3 beeps the pressure cooker will start going.
- Once the time is up, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes, then use the quick release to let off the rest of the steam.
- If storing in the freezer, make sure to cool down the chili first.