This warm and hearty Instant Pot vegetable stew recipe is super easy to make. Made with almost 10 veggies and healthy ingredients, this nutritious stew is vegan and gluten-free friendly. It’s great for batch cooking and meal prepping as it keeps well and can be used over a few days. Stovetop instructions included.
WHAT WE LOVE ABOUT THIS Vegetable Stew
This stew is hearty, thick, comforting and very tasty but the real reason we think it’s so good is the number of veggies you’ll be getting in each serving. Made with about 10 types of vegetables, it is really is a nutritional powerhouse! Plus, it’s vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free friendly and is easily adaptable for those following something like a Whole30 or a paleo diet.
We’ve provided both the Instant Pot and stovetop instructions below. It is much quicker with the Instant Pot and the cooking time is based on how long the potatoes would take.
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT VEGETABLE STEW (VIDEO)
You will find the full list of ingredients, instructions and nutritional breakdown in the recipe card below. Watch this video to see just how easy it is to make this veggie stew. A few notes to keep in mind:
Vegetables: the key vegetables are onions, celery, carrots, and potatoes but the rest is really up to you. We wanted to load up this dish with as many veggies as possible so we used green beans, zucchini, dried mushrooms, peas, etc. You can add peppers, cauliflower, broccoli and both frozen and fresh veggies will work.
Seasonings & sauces: feel free to experiment with herbs and spices; we used dried thyme and bay leaf but any other hardy herbs like rosemary or mixed herbs will work. Soy sauce can be swapped with gluten-free Tamari or coconut aminos for Whole30.
Thickening the stew: the broth in the stew will thicken with some of the potato starch that will dissolve during cooking, however, you will want to give it more body by adding a little flour right at the end. We used tapioca flour mixed with just a little bit of water, which once added to the hot stew, will thicken the liquid instantly. You can use arrowroot, cornflour, or regular flour.
This vegetable stew is pretty hearty so it can be served as the main dish. You can, of course, also serve it as a side dish with some protein of choice. Toasted bread or rolls are great to soak up the liquid, and you can go a step further by making some garlic bread.
The stew is topped with gremolata – a mixture of chopped fresh parsley and lemons zest – which adds a nice fresh touch and aroma to the dish. You can sprinkle any fresh herbs you have on hand.
Store leftover stew for 3-4 days in the fridge or freeze it for up to 3 months.
MORE INSTANT POT RECIPES FOR YOUPrint
The ultimate comfort food, this Instant Pot vegetable stew is made with loads of veg and delicious broth with herbs and spices. It’s thick, hearty and is vegan and gluten-free friendly.
- Pre-dice the vegetables and set them aside.
- Turn the Instant Pot on and set it to Sauté. Once heated, add the olive oil, onions and half a teaspoon of salt. Cook for 2-3 minutes, then add the garlic, dried porcini mushrooms and stir.
- Add the rest of the vegetables and stir. Now add all final ingredients listed in the cooking stage and stir through. Press Cancel to stop the Sauté.
- Pop and close the lid and point the top valve to Sealing. Press Manual/Pressure Cook, HIGH pressure and adjust the time to 5 minutes. After 3 beeps, the Instant Pot will start to build up the pressure, which will take 10-12 minutes for this amount of food inside, and then the timer will start.
- Once the timer finishes, allow for 8-10 minutes natural release. Then, use the quick release method by pointing the valve to Venting to let off the rest of the steam.
- Mix the tapioca flour with water in a small bowl. Open the Instant Pot lid and stir in the tapioca slurry mixture. Stir through, you should see the sauce thicken slightly. Now, taste the stew and add more salt or pepper if you like. You can also add a little drizzle of lemon juice.
- Serve the stew topped with fresh parsley and lemon zest, also known as gremolata.
- STOVETOP INSTRUCTIONS: Preheat a large stew pot over medium heat. Add the olive oil, onions and salt and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring a few times. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir through. Pop the lid on top and cook over medium heat for 40-45 minutes until potatoes are nice and soft. Stir a few times and check the heat, it should not be boiling but rather simmering or bubbling away. Finish the stew same as above.
See a few suggested modifications under How To Make Instant Pot Vegetable Stew above the recipe, plus check out the how-to video.