Spice cake is good any time of the year, but especially around the holidays. This vegan-friendly Instant Pot orange spice cake is super moist because it’s steamed and will remind you of an English pudding.
Made in the Instant Pot pressure cooker, today’s beautiful orange spice cake is from The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook for Your Instant Pot by Kathy Hester. She is the force behind Healthy Slow Cooking, and is passionate about making healthy eating easy and delicious. Her recipes are vegan, but don’t let that scare you off. They are definitely full of flavor and imagination! Read our full review of Kathy’s Instant Pot vegan cookbook here.
Kathy’s Instant Pot cake is perfect for any time of the year but is especially suited to holidays such as Thanksgiving and Christmas. Make a cup of tea and get cozy with a slice if this marvellous, guilt-free dessert.
Note from the author: With this recipe, you can vary the dried fruit and nuts to match what you have in your pantry.Print
Spice cake is good any time of the year, but especially around the holidays. This Instant Pot spice cake is super moist because it’s steamed and will remind you of an English pudding. Vegan-friendly.
- 1¼ cups (150 g) whole wheat pastry flour (or *use a gluten-free baking mix)
- 1½ teaspoon (4 g) ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ cup (120 ml) orange juice with pulp (about 1 medium orange)
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) maple syrup or agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons (14 g) ground flaxseeds
- 3 tablespoons (41 g) melted coconut oil (or **use applesauce)
- 2 tbsp (12 g) orange zest (or 1 tsp orange extract)
- ¾ cup (75 g) dried cranberries or diced dried dates
- ½ cup (55 g) chopped walnuts or pecans
- Oil a 6– or 7-inch (15- or 17.5-cm) Bundt pan and set aside.
- For the dry ingredients, mix the flour, cinnamon, allspice, baking soda and cloves in a medium-size mixing bowl.
- For the wet ingredients, combine the juice, syrup, flaxseeds and oil in a large measuring cup. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well. Fold in the mix-ins.
- Spread the cake mixture into your prepared pan and cover with foil.
- Put the steel insert into your Instant Pot, pour in 1½ cups (355 ml) water and add the stainless steel steam rack with handles that came with your Instant Pot.
- If your pan does not fit inside the rack handles, you will need to fashion some handles out of aluminum foil to lower the pan into the cooker. Tear off two pieces of foil about 3 feet (1 m) long, fold each one lengthwise two times. Lay the foil handles out on the counter in a plus sign near your cooker. Place your pan in the center, where the two pieces cross. Pull the handles up and carefully lift the pan into your Instant Pot.
- Place the lid on with the steam release handle set to sealing, or closed; cook on high pressure for 35 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally.
- Once the pressure indicator goes down, remove the lid, lift out the pan using the foil handles and remove the foil that’s covering the pan.
- Let cool so that it cuts easier; it will crumble if cut warm.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 274
- Sugar: 20.3 g
- Sodium: 83.4 mg
- Fat: 12.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 40.1 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 3.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Spices, Orange, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Holidays