This Instant Pot chicken paprikash comes from a delicious Hungarian stew recipe that is perfect for making in the pressure cooker. Serve with pasta, rice or potatoes for a delicious family dinner. This stew recipe is gluten-free and low-carb.
WHAT IS CHICKEN PAPRIKASH?
Chicken paprikash or paprika chicken (also known as paprikás csirke) is a popular Hungarian dish and one that my family often made when I was growing up. I am not Hungarian, but having grown up in Europe, this creamy chicken stew has certainly made a regular appearance on our table.
This Instant Pot chicken paprikash recipe is a quick and easy way to prepare this dish, which normally requires extended simmering time. It’s perfect for a weeknight dinner and can be served over noodles, pasta, rice, potatoes or veggies.
INGREDIENTS FOR INSTANT POT CHICKEN PAPRIKASH
This dish has two key ingredients: chicken and sweet paprika powder. The rest is really up to you! I love making mine with lots of onions, some butter, sour cream and garden peas. Other recipes call for green peppers or carrots; and, you will find different parts of chicken used depending on who’s cooking.
In this recipe, I am using diced chicken breast and thigh meat. I like to buy a whole chicken and separate the meat that I need and use the rest of the chook to make a lovely soup or chicken bone broth. You can buy chicken thighs or/and breast meat and dice it up; or, you can use chicken drumsticks or whole thighs. If using large chicken pieces, you may need to set the timer to 20 minutes.
HOW TO SERVE PAPRIKA CHICKEN?
Traditionally, paprikash chicken is served with a small dumpling or gnocchi-like noodles called nokedli. For me, that’s too much extra work, so I usually make a side of boiled or mashed potatoes, steamed rice or pasta.
One thing I do always serve on the side is a simple cucumber and dill salad. It compliments this dish really well. I’ve included it in the recipe below.
Once cooked, this Instant Pot chicken paprika stew can be frozen for up to 3 months. It will keep for 3 days in the fridge, make sure to reheat well.
MORE INSTANT POT CHICKEN RECIPES
- Chicken Alfredo Meatballs (Keto)
- Buffalo Wings (From Frozen)
- Chicken Pot Pie
- Butter Chicken
- Chicken, Ham & Vegetable Pasta
Hearty and delicious, this Instant Pot paprikash chicken will delight the whole family. Serve over pasta, rice, potatoes or veggies.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon butter (or dairy-free alternative)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt (use a little less if the stock is salty)
- 1.3 lb / 600 g diced chicken (mix of breast and thigh meat is perfect but you can use either)
- 3 tablespoons paprika powder (mild or sweet)
- 2 large cloves of garlic, finely diced
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock (stock cube and water is also fine, we love Kallo organic chicken stock cubes)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 heaped tablespoons crème fraîche or sour cream
- 1/2 cup frozen peas (thawed out in warm water)
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot flour/starch (or cornstarch)
- Extra sour cream to serve with if you wish
Cucumber dill salad
- 2 medium cucumbers, sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped dill
- 2 tablespoons crème fraîche or sour cream
- Generous pinch of salt
- Turn the pressure cooker on. Press the Sauté function key (it will show Normal, 30 minutes).
- Add the onion, butter, olive oil and salt and cook for 5 minutes with the lid off. Stir a few times.
- Add the diced chicken and cook for another minute or two together, stirring a few times. Add paprika and garlic and stir through, then add the chicken stock, tomato paste and crème fraîche or sour cream. Stir through.
- Press the Keep Warm/Cancel function. Close and lock the lid of the Instant Pot. Check that the lid knob is turned to Sealing. Change the setting to Manual (High Pressure) and set the timer for 12 minutes. After 3 beeps the Instant Pot will start to build up the pressure and the cooking will begin.
- Once the time is up, let the pressure release naturally or use a quick release method, and open the lid.
- Add the peas and press Sauté. Cook for 5 minutes with the lid off, stirring a few times. This will evaporate some of the liquid and thicken the sauce.
- After 5 minutes, scoop 1/4 cup of the sauce liquid into a small bowl and add the arrowroot flour (corn flour is also okay). Whisk to dissolve. Turn the Instant Pot to OFF and then stir in the arrowroot liquid and another tablespoon of crème fraîche/sour cream. This will further thicken the sauce.
- To prepare the salad, combine all ingredients in a bowl and serve alongside chicken paprika.
For a dairy-free version, use ghee or coconut oil instead of butter and coconut cream instead of sour cream. I would also add a tablespoon of lemon juice in this case. And you can dress the cucumber and dill salad with lemon juice and olive oil.
Keywords: Paprika, Poultry
If you enjoy this recipe, share it with your Instant Pot loving friends and family. Questions and comments are welcome!
SAVE CHICKEN PAPRIKASH RECIPE TO PINTEREST