Creamy, cheesy Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Dip with a signature hot sauce butter flavor. The chicken and sauce are easily cooked in the Instant Pot and the dip can be finished in the oven with extra grilled cheese on top. Dip your favorite crackers, corn chips, or celery sticks and enjoy over the holidays or while watching the next game or movie.
Whether it's Game Day, movie night or you need an appetizer to share over the holidays, this Buffalo Chicken Dip in the Instant Pot is a must-try. It's creamy, cheesy, loaded with shredded chicken, and has the signature hot sauce butter flavor.
The chicken is pressure cooked in some chicken broth, butter, hot sauce and ranch dressing so it's infused with so much flavor! The meat is then removed and shredded or cut into preferred sized chunks.
The sauce is finished directly in the pot in that delicious spicy chicken butter broth. Cream cheese and grated Cheddar make it thick and creamy and mellow out the heat.
Once the shredded chicken is returned and stirred through the sauce, the dip is ready to go. You can serve it as is with a little blue cheese crumbled over the top or you can transfer the dip to a casserole dish and bake or grill with extra grated cheese on top.
A few hopped scallions will seal the deal on this fabulous Buffalo Chicken Dip.
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this buffalo ranch chicken dip:
- Chicken breasts: About 2 medium chicken breasts cut into 3 pieces (no bone or skin).
- Hot sauce: this can be your preferred choice but something as simple as Frank's Hot sauce is all you need.
- Butter: Use unsalted butter so you can control the salt manually.
- Stock: You need a little bit of chicken stock or water to cook the meat in.
- Ranch dressing: Full-fat or low-fat ranch dressing can be used.
- Cheese: Cream cheese and Cheddar are used to thicken and finish the sauce for the dip. You can use light cream cheese and reduced-fat Cheddar if you want a lighter dip.
- Toppings: blue cheese and scallions.
You will find the full recipe with ingredients and nutritional breakdown in the recipe card below.
There are three simple stages to making this potato leek soup in the pressure cooker. The first stage is to pressure cook the chicken. The second stage is to thicken the sauce and mix the dip. The final stage is optional as you can serve dip as is or you can grill extra cheese over the top in the oven.
Let's break it down with step-by-step photos and video. You can use a 6-quart or 8-quart Instant Pot.
STAGE ONE - PRESSURE COOK THE CHICKEN
Step 1. Add the chicken stock or water to the bottom of the pot. Place the chicken pieces on the bottom and season with a little salt. Place a few dollops of butter (about 2 tablespoons in total) on top of the chicken in different places.
Step 2. Pour the hot sauce and the ranch dressing over the top but DO NOT stir.
Step 3. Secure and lock the lid and set to Pressure Cook on HIGH for 15 minutes.
Step 4. Allow complete NPR and then open the lid. Remove chicken, cool slightly and shred finely.
STAGE TWO - MAKE CHEESY SAUCE
Step 5. Add cream cheese and shredded Cheddar to the sauce in the pot. Stir until the cheeses are melted and the mixture is smooth. You can either keep the pot on Keep Warm setting or use Saute on the Less setting.
Step 6. Return the chicken to the pot and stir in the sauce. Serve in a dipping bowl topped with blue cheese and green onions.
OPTIONAL STAGE THREE - GRILL THE CHEESE
Step 7. The dip can be transferred to a baking dish and topped with extra cheese to grill under broil for that lovely cheesy crust.
Serve buffalo chicken dip cold or warm with celery sticks, corn chips or crackers.
First of all, this Instant Pot buffalo chicken dip can be eaten cold or hot. Personally, we like it warm so if you're making it ahead of time or eating the leftovers make sure to reheat it gradually so it doesn't separate and look greasy.
Storing leftovers: Depending on how fresh your ingredients are to start, this Buffalo Chicken Dip should last 3-5 days in the fridge. Make sure to cover the dish tightly to avoid any air getting in.
Make ahead: You can make the whole dip as instructed without the grilled cheese on top. Store in the fridge for 3-5 days or freezer for up 3 months, see notes below.
To reheat from the fridge, simply microwave in 30-second bursts, stirring after each interval, until hot. If it gets too hot too fast, you may notice it can look a little greasy. Or heat up in the 200 C / 395 F oven with extra cheese on top until the golden crust finish.
Freezing: To freeze the dip, spread it into a freezer-safe container and cover it tightly with a layer of plastic wrap and a layer of foil or a lid. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Defrost overnight in the refrigerator, then follow the reheat instructions.
Rate This Recipe
Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe
- ¼ cup chicken stock or water
- 1 lb boneless chicken breasts cut into 3 pieces each
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup hot sauce e.g. Franks
- ½ cup ranch dressing
- 1 8-oz package of cream cheese softened
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup blue cheese or gorgonzola crumbed
- ¼ cup chopped scallions spring onions
- ½ cup extra grated cheese for grilling/baking finish
- corn chips, celery sticks, crackers
- Add the chicken stock or water to the bottom of the pot. Place the chicken pieces on the bottom and season with a little salt. Place a few dollops of butter (about 2 tablespoons in total) on top of the chicken in different places.
- Pour the hot sauce and the ranch dressing over the top but DO NOT stir.
- Secure and lock the lid and set to Pressure Cook on HIGH for 15 minutes. Allow complete NPR and then open the lid. Remove chicken, cool slightly, and shred finely.
- Add cream cheese and shredded Cheddar to the sauce in the pot. Stir until the cheeses are melted and the mixture is smooth. You can either keep the pot on Keep Warm setting or use Saute on the Less setting.
- Return the chicken to the pot and stir in the sauce.
- Serve in a dipping bowl topped with blue cheese and green onions.
- Optional: The dip can be transferred to a baking dish and topped with extra cheese to grill under broil for that lovely cheesy crust.
More Instant Pot Recipes You'll Like
- Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Wings (From Frozen) With Buffalo Sauce
- 45+ Instant Pot Chicken Recipes For Every Taste
- More: Delicious Instant Pot Dip Recipes