This Instant Pot rice porridge (or pudding) is made with warm chai spices and sweet dates for an Indian-inspired breakfast or dessert. This porridge recipe is vegan, dairy-free and gluten-free.
When you first get a pressure cooker, one of the first recipes you should make is a creamy rice porridge or rice pudding. Cooking rice – in all its gastronomical forms – is perfectly suited to pressure cooking, and you can achieve perfect results every time. Today’s chai-spiced Instant Pot rice porridge is an example of how creative you can get with your pressure cooker rice dishes.
If you’ve never made rice porridge or anything similar before, check out our simple instructions on how to make Instant Pot rice pudding here. In today’s recipe, we take the traditional pudding or porridge recipe a little further with a touch of chai spices and dates.
What is a chai flavour?
Chai is a tea made with aromatic Indian spices such as cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, and clove, and often honey. It’s a delicious and warming beverage popular with the health and well-being conscious gourmands around the world. Chai spice mixes are now readily available online, and many cooks are starting to use them in desserts and baking.
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT RICE PORRIDGE
We wanted to combine a few chai spices with sweet dates, to create a breakfast Instant Pot pudding (or a porridge, if you like) that is both delicious and nourishing as spices have lots of health benefits.
You can use ready-made chai spice mix (check for added sugar and adjust the brown sugar/honey you add to the pot), or you can get separate spices listed in the recipe. They are all handy to have in the pantry for other recipes (check our favourite Instant Pot Indian recipes here). If using a ready-made chai spice blend, add about 2-3 teaspoons to the mix.
Instead of using Medjool dates, you can add more brown sugar or honey to the rice, or add other dried fruit of choice. We like the dates because they get very soft during cooking and dissolve into the rice mixture.
MORE INSTANT POT BREAKFAST RECIPESPrint
This Instant Pot rice porridge is made with warm chai spices and sweet dates for an Indian-inspired breakfast or dessert. It’s vegan, dairy-free and gluten-free.
- 1 cup short grain rice (also sold as pudding rice)
- 1 cup almond milk (unsweetened)
- 1 cup coconut milk (unsweetened, see notes)
- 1 + 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 6 Medjool dates, sliced (peeps out)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 5 cardamom pods
- 2 cloves or 1/4 teaspoon Allspice powder (this one is optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- To garnish: berries, nuts, chopped dates or other dried fruit, pistachios, hemp seeds, coconut flakes, dried mango, papaya or pineapple, sliced bananas.
- Combine all ingredients, except for the garnishes, in the inner pot. Lock the lid and set the Instant Pot to Manual, High, for 10 minutes. After 3 beeps the Instant Pot will start to build up the pressure, which will take about 5 minutes.
- Once the timer goes off, allow natural pressure release for 5 minutes, and then use the quick release method to let off the rest of the steam.
- Open the lid and stir through the rice. Add more water or almond milk, if you prefer a slightly thinner consistency. Serve topped with your favourite nuts, seeds and dried fruit.
You can get a ready-made chai spice blend on Amazon.
- Serving Size: 2/3 cup
- Calories: 431
- Sugar: 28.5 g
- Sodium: 642.2 mg
- Fat: 13.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 10.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 75.5 g
- Fiber: 3.1 g
- Protein: 5.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Vegan, Dairy-free, Gluten-Free, Pudding