Made with lemongrass and cilantro, this quick and easy Instant Pot carrot soup is light, aromatic and super nutritious. It’s great for lunch or as a light dinner meal, and you can serve it as a lovely starter at a dinner party. Vegan, gluten-free, Whole30.
Carrots and sweet potato are full of vitamins and antioxidants, and their sweet flesh is perfect for making gorgeous soups and stews. We particularly love combining these vegetables with aromatic ingredients like lemongrass and cilantro, for that lovely exotic flavour twist.
Made with coconut milk, this Instant Pot carrot soup is vegan-friendly and dairy-free and is also suitable to those following a Whole30, paleo or gluten-free diets. It’s low in calories and high in nutrients, making it a great cleansing recipe.
TIPS FOR MAKING CARROT SOUP IN INSTANT POT
This carrot soup is really easy to make using the Instant Pot. You cook all ingredients on HIGH pressure for 7 minutes, release the pressure, transfer to a blender and puree until smooth. It freezes well and will keep for 4-5 days in the fridge, so it’s perfect for make-ahead meal prep.
We a can of full-fat coconut milk (the creamy solids and the water liquid), look for coconut milk that is 50-60% coconut and not the diluted coconut milk drinks. We like this brand or this brand from Amazon.
This beautiful herb can be found in most large supermarkets, Asian grocers and online. If you can’t find fresh lemongrass, you can replace it with dried lemongrass, lemongrass paste or some lemon and lime zest.
Other variations You can add a teaspoon or two of curry powder or turmeric to this soup, or a tablespoon of ready-made green or red curry paste, especially if you can’t get fresh lemongrass.
If you’re not following a vegan diet, you can add some fish sauce for that authentic Asian flavor. You can buy fish sauce in most supermarkets and online, this is our favourite brand. Don’t worry, you can’t actually taste the ‘fish’ sauce, but it does add beautiful umami, salty flavour to the dish. You can then use it in stir-fries, curries, and rice dishes. We love adding a teaspoon to most meat stews, even the non-Asian flavoured dishes. Otherwise, regular soy sauce or coconut aminos is just fine.
MORE INSTANT SOUP RECIPES TO TRY
- Detox Instant Pot Vegetable Soup
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
- Instant Pot Mushroom Soup
- Thai Red Lentil Soup
- Sweet Potato, Corn & Chipotle Soup
This quick and easy Instant Pot carrot soup is light, aromatic and super nutritious. It’s great for lunch or as a light dinner meal, and you can serve it as a lovely starter at a dinner party.
- 1/2 large onion, sliced roughly
- 2 lemongrass sticks, cut in halves (or 1 tbsp lemongrass paste)
- 3 large carrots, roughly sliced in thick pieces
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and roughly cut
- 1 large celery stick, roughly cut in 3-4 pieces
- A handful of fresh cilantro (leaves and stems)
- 2 large cloves of garlic
- 1 can of coconut milk (see notes)
- 2 cups vegetable (or chicken stock)
- 1/2 red or green chile, diced roughly
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- For garnish: Fresh cilantro and sesame seeds
- Place all ingredients except for lime juice in the pot and stir through. Lock the lid and make sure the valve is set to Sealing. Press the Manual button and set to High pressure for 7 mins. After 3 beeps, the Instant Pot will start to build up the pressure. Once the timer goes off, allow 5-10 minutes for natural pressure release and then use the quick release method to let off the rest of the steam.
- Remove the lemongrass piece and transfer the soup’s content to a blender or a food processor in 2-3 batches. Puree until smooth and return to another saucepan. Add the lime juice, stir through and taste for salt. You can add more salt or more fish sauce for extra seasoning. Serve with sesame seeds and fresh cilantro over the top.