Cooking Instant Pot brown rice is quick and easy and for this recipe, we decided to create a Thai-inspired one-pot wonder that features chicken, sweet chilli sauce and a lovely side of vegetables and herbs.
When it comes to weeknight cooking, you can’t beat Instant Pot one-pot dishes. They’re hands off and fuss-free, leaving you with minimal clean up at the end. This is exactly why you’ll love our Instant Pot brown rice and chicken dish.
We love cooking everything together as it allows the brown rice to absorb not only the broth liquid during the cooking process but also all the flavours. The concept is similar to that of a popular Chinese chicken and rice dish, in which the chicken broth flavours and cooks the rice.
For a Thai twist, we’re using gorgeous aromatics such as ginger and garlic, and a few dollops of sweet chilli sauce, which works wonderfully with poultry.
The whole thing takes about 30 minutes (prep and cooking time) and you’ll be ready to enjoy a nutritious and hearty meal.
Brown rice works best for this dish because the pressure cooking time is similar to that of poultry. If you were to use white rice, you would need to precook the chicken first as the white rice only needs 4-5 minutes of pressure cooking. Plus, we think that brown rice is very delicious and has a wonderful texture that works well in the final dish.
Make sure to rinse the brown rice really well before cooking. We usually rinse it 3 times under cold water.
- 1 + 1/2 cups of uncooked brown rice (rinsed well)
- 1 + 1/2 cups water
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (use Tamari for gluten-free version)
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 scallion/spring onion, chopped
For the chicken
- 4 chicken thighs (with or without skin)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic, grated
- 2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce, like this one (check the label for gluten-free)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil (optional)
- To serve: fresh cilantro/coriander, grated carrot, shredded red cabbage, red peppers or any other salad vegetables, chopped scallions. Extra lime and sweet chilli sauce.
- Add the rinsed brown rice, water, stock cube (break it up), soy sauce and fish sauce to the inner pot and mix through.
- Place the chicken pieces (lightly sprinkled with salt) gently on top but don’t push them in too dip. Sprinkle with scallions all over the rice and chicken.
- Mix the ginger, garlic, sweet chilli sauce, fish sauce, lime juice and sesame oil in a small bowl. Scoop and spread the mixture over the chicken pieces. It’s okay if some of it ends up in the rice, as it will all get flavoured together.
- Close and lock the lid, making sure the steam valve is pointing to Sealing. Set the Instant Pot to Manual, HIGH pressure, 15 minutes. After 3 beeps, the Instant Pot will begin the pressure building and cooking process. Once done, allow the pressure to release naturally until the lid opens easily. You can quick release the pressure manually too, we suggest to do so after about 5 minutes.
- To serve, dish out the rice in bowls and top with the chicken pieces. Assemble the salad with scallions and fresh cilantro in the bowls and serve with extra lime and sweet chilli sauce.