Learn how to cook delicious and aromatic Instant Pot brown rice, which serves as the perfect base in our healthy, vegan-friendly salad with a scrummy peanut butter dressing. This recipe is vegan and gluten-free friendly.
Want to add more fibre and protein-rich plant-based foods to your diet but don’t have the time to soak and cook foods such as legumes and brown rice? Not to worry! Instant Pot is a real time-saver when it comes to cooking these, and this recipe we show you how to make a healthy and delicious brown rice salad in a lot less time than using a stovetop.
Besides the nutrient-dense brown rice, this hearty salad features a lot of other healthy ingredients such as crunchy red cabbage, peppers, carrots and herbs. The Asian peanut butter dressing is full of healthy fats and is a shining star of this dish. With perfectly balanced salty and sweet flavours, it coats the salad with the most gorgeous flavours.
If you like meal planning and batch cooking, this salad is a great dish to add to your menu. You can make the brown rice ahead of time and freeze it until you need to use it. You can even portion it out into smaller batches and store in Ziploc bag for single or double serve meals. Simply defrost it overnight in the fridge or in a microwave.
The peanut butter dressing can also be made ahead of time and kept in the fridge for up to 1 week. Then all you need to do to assemble the salad is add some pre-chopped veggies and herbs of choice.
If you don’t have a pressure cooker, simply cook the brown rice on the stovetop as per packet instructions and then use the rest of our recipe to create the same tasty salad.Print
Hearty and nutritious, this Instant Pot cooked brown rice based salad is full of veggies and a delicious peanut butter dressing.
For the rice
1 1/4 cups uncooked brown rice, rinsed
2 slices of fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves
1/2 cube of vegetable stock
1 1/2 cups water
For the salad
1/4 purple or white cabbage, diced into cubes or shredded
1 large carrot, grated
1 bell red pepper, diced
1/2 medium red onion, diced finely
8–10 cherry tomatoes, halved
1 tablespoon of black or white sesame seeds
Finish with: chopped fresh mint and cilantro/coriander (2-3 tablespoons of each)
For the dressing
2 heaped tablespoons crunchy peanut butter (see notes)
3 1/2 tablespoons honey
1 garlic clove, minced or grated
1 teaspoon grated ginger
1/2 red chili, finely diced (less or more depending on your spice tolerance)
Juice of 1 lime
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon fish sauce (alternatively, add 1/4 teaspoon salt)
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons water
Extra: have an extra lime to serve at the table.
- To make the brown rice, turn the Instant Pot on and add the rice ingredients and the water to the inner pot. Stir through.
- Place and lock the lid, making sure the steam valve is pointing to Sealing. Press Manual, HIGH pressure, and set the time to 15 minutes. After 3 beeps, the Instant Pot will start to build up the pressure and cooking will commence (this will take about 5-10 minutes).
- Once the timer goes off, allow the pressure to release naturally (about 10-15 minutes). If you’re in a rush, release the pressure manually by carefully pointing the valve to Venting after 5 minutes.
- Open the lid and fluff the rice with a fork. Transfer the cooked brown rice to a large salad bowl to cool down.
- While the rice is cooking, prepare the rest of the salad ingredients.
- To make the salad dressing, soften the peanut butter in a microwave or over a stove. Add the rest of the ingredients and whisk together until smooth.
For a gluten-free version, make sure to use GF peanut butter and swap the soy sauce for Tamari sauce.
We used this brand of peanut butter, which has less added sugar than other traditional American peanut butters. If using a really sweet peanut butter, adjust the ingredients by adding less honey.
Keywords: brown rice healthy salad peanut butter dressing vegan gluten-free