Have you ever cooked chicken wings in the Instant Pot? It’s easy and speeds up the process, resulting in juicy and perfectly cooked meat. In this recipe, we show you how to make sticky glazed mustard maple chicken wings which are done in the pressure cooker and finished in the oven for that perfect golden and crispy skin. You can also finish them on a grill and they are fantastic for any gathering, game night and as finger food at your next party. Gluten-free, paleo-friendly.
A little sweet and sticky with a touch of heat from the mustard and acidity from lemon, these Instant Pot chicken wings are super delicious and easy to make. This recipe is for about 2 pounds of chicken wing pieces (wings and drumettes) but you can easily double the ingredients for a larger batch.
We used the Instant Pot to pre-cook the lightly seasoned wings and then finished them in a very hot oven brushed with our tasty glaze of mustard, lemon and maple syrup. You can also finish these on a barbecue grill, making these great for an outdoor cookout. Let’s get into how to make these fabulous maple glazed chicken wings!
SEASONING THE WINGS BEFORE COOKING
The first step in this recipe is to flavor the chicken wings before cooking them in the Instant Pot. We are using a simple mix of salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder as well as Dijon mustard (yellow is okay too) and some lemon juice. You can do this ahead of time and marinate the wings in the refrigerator up to 24 hours ahead. They will be extra tasty but you certainly don’t have to leave them for very long.
HOW TO COOK CHICKEN WINGS IN INSTANT POT
We sure using the Instant Pot to pre-cook the wings. Simply add a cup of water to the inner pot and place the trivet on top. Layer the chicken wings on top of the trivet. Start with bigger pieces and place smaller wings on the top of the tower. Set the Instant Pot to 5 minutes at HIGH pressure and allow about 5-7 minutes for natural pressure release. This part will take about 20 minutes all up.
ROASTING CHICKEN WINGS WITH MAPLE GLAZE
While the wings are pressure cooking, mix together a batch of maple and mustard glaze. Preheat the oven to 480 F/ 250 C. Remove the pre-cooked chicken wings to a bowl and cover with the glaze. Toss through and spread on a wire rack with some foil underneath to catch any dripping glaze or juices as they will get sticky and burn a little.
Roast in the hot oven for about 10 minutes, then remove the rack and flip the wings. Brush them with a little extra glaze and pop back in the oven for 5-7 more minutes until they are golden brown and sticky. Transfer to a serving plate and brush with a little more maple syrup mixed with lemon juice or make an extra glaze mix.
That’s it! The wings are now ready to be enjoyed. You can serve them hot but they are also great cold. You will find the full recipe, ingredients and nutritional breakdown in the card below.
Learn how to make sticky golden glazed mustard maple chicken wings with your Instant Pot and the oven or barbecue grill. These are gluten-free and paleo-friendly and are great as finger food, family dinner or for game night.
2 lb / 1 kg chicken wings (50/50 wings and drummettes)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
Juice of 1/2 lemon
2 teaspoons mustard
For the roasting glaze
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
For final brushing
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon mustard
A little sea salt
- Mix the chicken wings with salt, pepper, onion and garlic powders, lemon juice and mustard. Use your hands to coat the meat evenly.
- Place the trivet inside the pot and add 1 cup of water. Lay the chicken wings on top of the trivet. Start with larger pieces and build up with the smaller wings on the top.
- Pop the lid on top, lock and set to Manual/Pressure Cook for 5 minutes (at HIGH pressure). The Instant Pot will take about 5 minutes to come to pressure.
- In the meantime, mix the roasting glaze sauce and preheat the oven to 480 F / 250 C. Prepare a large oven tray lined with foil (to catch any drippings) and an oven rack. Finishing the wings on a rack will allow for the hot air to circulate all around the meat, rather than just the top.
- Once the timer is done, allow about 5-7 minutes for natural pressure release, then use the quick release method to let off the remaining pressure (point the top valve to Venting or press it down on Nova models).
Transfer the pre-cooked wings to a bowl and pour in the glaze sauce. Toss through the wings well to coat evenly.
- Lay the glazed wings on an oven rack (dip them into the glaze in the bottom of the bowl to coat one final time). Make sure to leave some space between pieces for even roasting. Pop in the hot oven, middle shelf and cook for 10 minutes. Remove the tray, turn over the pieces and brush the wings with the remaining glaze from the bowl and pop back in the oven for 5-7 more minutes.
- Transfer cooked chicken wings onto a serving plate. Brush the tops with a little extra maple syrup and lemon juice mix to a little shine. This is optional as they will be tasty already. Serve while hot but they are also tasty cold.
Can I make these maple chicken wings without the Instant Pot? Yes, of course. Repeat the first step (marinate the chicken) and preheat the oven to 480 F / 250 C. Bake the chicken wings for 20 minutes then remove and coat with the glaze. Repeat the final two baking stages with the glaze on. Total cooking time should be 35-40 minutes.
Barbecue grill finish: Toss the pre-cooked chicken wings in the glaze and grill on a hot barbecue for 4-5 minutes each side or until golden brown to the desired effect. The meat will already be cooked through so it’s about getting the color and sticky caramelization from the heat.
- Serving Size: 4-5 pieces
- Calories: 419
- Sugar: 15.6 g
- Sodium: 1023.5 mg
- Fat: 23.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 6.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 19.5 g
- Fiber: 0.6 g
- Protein: 31.5 g
- Cholesterol: 194.3 mg
MORE CHICKEN RECIPES WITH INSTANT POT
- Buffalo Chicken Wings From Frozen
- 15 More Amazing Chicken Wing Recipes To Try
- Tasty Curry Chicken Salad For Any Time Of The Year
- Chicken Noodle Soup In 30 Minutes
SAVE THESE MAPLE GLAZED CHICKEN WINGS TO PINTEREST