This gorgeous Instant Pot zucchini recipe is perfect for hot summer evenings or when you simply don’t have the energy or will to turn up the stove. It’s light, healthy and only takes 10 minutes of your time. Plus, it gives that Sauté key function a new purpose!
Besides the zucchini and a few simple ingredients, you do need a vegetable spiralizer. You can use something as simple as your carrot peeler to slice up a bowl of ribbons, but it’s so much easier with a spiarlizer. And trust me, together with my Instant Pot and a smoothie blender, the spirazlier is my most used kitchen gadget. And like the IP pressure cooker, it’s great for summer dishes as it doesn’t generate much heat. In fact, you don’t even need to plug it in! I use this brand but you can find lots of others online and in stores these days.
These zucchini noodles can of course be made on the stove but here is why I love using the Instant Pot:
- Unlike the stove (I have an electric one), the Instant Pot doesn’t generate much heat in the air, which is perfect for summer.
- The Sauté function builds to the perfect temperature for cooking the garlic and lemon zest.
- The pot is deep enough for a big batch of zucchini noodles. You can easily stir them through any sauce without them spilling out.
- You can serve them directly in the pot, if you like.
You can enjoy these zucchini noodles as they are for a lighter meal, or use the following serving suggestions to add a bit more substance and protein to the dish.
For a vegetarian meal or vegan meal, rinse a cup of tinned chickpeas and stir through the noodles. Omit the Parmesan and sprinkle with nutritional yeast flakes for a vegan option. For extra energy, you can also add some sliced avocado, which is full of satiating, healthy fats and nutrients.
For an omnivores-friendly meal, serve these noodles with sliced ham, turkey or pre-cooked, cold shrimp, or as a side with BBQ grilled chicken or sausages. Quickly pan-fried or baked fish will also pair well with this dish, if you don’t mind a bit of heat in the kitchen.Print
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely diced
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 large zucchini, spiralized or peeled into noodle ribbons
- Juice of 1/3 lemon
- 1 tablespoon finely sliced mint (5–6 mint leaves)
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan or Pecorino cheese
- Cracked black pepper
- I recommend to prepare all ingredients before you start cooking as that part takes no time at all and you’ll have to move pretty fast.
- Once all your ingredients are ready, press the Sauté function key on your Instant Pot and let the pot heat up for 1-2 minutes. Add the olive oil, garlic, lemon zest and salt and stir for 30 seconds, until just turning golden brown and fragrant.
- Now add the zucchini noodles and drizzled with lemon juice. Stir through the olive oil with garlic and lemon zest for 20-30 seconds. The idea is to coat the noodles with the flavoured oil and to heat them up slightly but NOT to actually cook them. If you cook them for too long, they will turn into a soggy, watery mess.
- Once you’ve warmed up the noodles, sprinkle the mint and Parmesan over the top and stir through. Serve straight away.