Instant Pot Stuffed Pepper Soup is just like the classic stuffed bell peppers but in a deconstructed soup or stew form. Made with basic ingredients like ground beef, tomatoes, rice, and bell peppers, of course, this delicious recipe is nutritious and budget friendly.
We love making this cozy Instant Pot stuffed pepper soup for its rich homemade flavor, simple ingredients, and the fact that it can be made as a one-pot dish.
Stuffed bell pepper soup uses very similar ingredients to stuffed peppers, except everything is chopped up and cooked in a tomato-based broth. Our Instant Pot recipe can be made as a thick stew-like soup (which is what you see in the photos) or you can have it as a thinner soup with more stock. Both ways work well for this dish.
Another ingredient that we add is sour cream. Oftentimes, stuffed bell peppers are served with sour cream on the side but we like to add some to the soup itself (right after cooking). It gives this Instant Pot stuffed pepper soup a slightly creamier texture and gorgeous flavor. It is optional, however, and you can definitely go dairy-free here.
Making stuffed pepper soup in the Instant Pot is easy, quick, and affordable. We hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did!
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this soup.
- Ground beef – leaner ground beef works better in this soup.
- Rice – long white rice is the traditional choice but if you would like to make it with brown rice, change the cooking time to 20 minutes on HIGH and allow natural release at the end.
- Vegetables – onions, garlic, bell peppers (you can use any color here), and canned tomatoes.
- For the broth – beef or chicken broth can be used, plus some extra tomato sauce (also known as passata).
- For extra flavor – we’re using mixed Italian herbs but you can use any dried herbs or get creative with some extra spices like paprika or cumin powder. Plus, some salt, pepper and chili!
- Finishing touches – sour cream to make the soup extra creamy but only if you like, you can also serve it on the side; plus, some grated cheese and fresh herbs like parsley or basil for garnish.
You will find the full recipe with ingredients and nutritional breakdown in the recipe card below.
There are two simple stages to making this stuffed pepper soup in the pressure cooker. The first stage is to saute the onions, bell peppers, and beef. The second stage is to cook the soup with rice. You then finish the soup with a little sour cream or serve it on the side.
Let’s break it down with step-by-step photos and video. You can use a 6-quart or 8-quart Instant Pot.
STAGE ONE – SAUTE THE BEEF & ONIONS
Step 1. Turn the Instant Pot on Saute and add the olive oil and onions. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring a few times.
Step 2. Add ground beef, garlic, and bell peppers and cook on Saute for 4-5 minutes, stirring regularly. Use the spatula to break the beef clumps into smaller pieces.
Step 3. Once the ground beef has changed color, add the mixed herbs and chili, beef broth/stock and water. Stir everything through scraping the bottom of the pot.
STAGE TWO – PRESSURE COOK THE SOUP
Step 4. Now add the uncooked rice and stir through. Add the canned diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and sprinkle the sugar on top. Don’t stir through but spread the tomatoes over the top, they will sink into the soup during cooking but this will prevent any possible Burn error.
Step 4. Secure and lock the lid. Set to Pressure Cook/Manual on HIGH for 5 minutes. Once the timer is done, use the quick release.
Step 5. Open the lid and stir the soup. Taste for salt, pepper and chili; add more if you like. Stir in the chopped parsley.
Step 6. Stir with sour cream stirred in and grated cheese on top. Both are optional, you can choose to use the sour cream or just the cheese, or neither. Garnish with extra parsley.
For a thinner soup, add an extra cup of stock or use less rice. You can also add more liquid after the soup is cooked and stir it through on Saute to keep it hot. We like it thick and hearty, almost like a stew so it’s a personal preference.
Leftover soup will thicken even further as the rice will keep absorbing the liquid. Add extra stock or water when reheating the soup to make it thinner.
Brown rice can be used instead of white rice. Increase cooking time to 20 minutes with natural pressure release.
What To Serve With This Soup?
This is a thick, stew-like soup so it’s quite filling and substantial without having to add any sides to it. You can serve it as is or with some fresh bread, dinner rolls or cornbread. Feel free to pair it with a side salad or vegetables.
We love some sour cream stirred through the soup but you can also serve a dollop in individual bowls. Grated cheese is also popular as a topping.
Stuffed pepper soup will last for no more than 3 to 4 days in the fridge. Make sure to seal tightly in a container if there are leftovers or you’re meal prepping. The soup will last up to a month in the freezer. Let the soup thaw in the fridge before slowly reheating.
Stuffed Pepper Soup Without Rice
If you want a lower-carb version of the soup you can limit the amount of rice or omit it together. The soup will still taste great and maybe a little more “soupy” without the extra starch. The cooking time stays the same.
More Instant Pot Soup Recipes
- Potato Leek Soup (Instant Pot Recipe)
- Instant Pot Pasta e Fagioli (Pasta & Bean Soup)
- Instant Pot Bean Soup (Only 5 Ingredients)
- Best Instant Pot Tomato Soup (Panera Bread Inspired)
- Want even more soup recipes? 35+ Best Instant Pot Soup Recipes
Rate This Recipe
Instant Pot Stuffed Pepper Soup Recipe
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion finely diced
- 1 lb ground beef lean is ideal, about 450-500 g
- 4 cloves garlic minced or diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced into cubes
- 1 red bell pepper diced into cubes
- 1 tsps mixed Italian herbs basil, thyme, oregano, rosemary
- 1.5 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp chili flakes or powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 cups beef broth or chicken
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white rice uncooked, rinsed a few times
- 2 14.5 oz cans of crushed or diced tomatoes e.g. fire roasted, about 3 cups
- 1 14.5 can tomato sauce about 1.5 cups
- 1 tsp sugar brown or white
To finish the soup
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 1 cup sour cream optional
- 1 cup grated cheese optional
- Turn the Instant Pot on Saute and add the olive oil and onions. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring a few times.
- Add ground beef, garlic, and bell peppers and cook on Saute for 4-5 minutes, stirring regularly. Use the spatula to break the beef clumps into smaller pieces.
- Once the ground beef has changed color, add the mixed herbs and chili, beef broth/stock and water. Stir everything by scraping the bottom of the pot.
- Now add the uncooked rice and stir through. Add the canned diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and sprinkle the sugar on top. Don’t stir through but spread the tomatoes over the top, they will sink into the soup during cooking but this will prevent any possible Burn error.
- Secure and lock the lid. Set to Pressure Cook/Manual on HIGH for 5 minutes. Once the timer is done, use the quick release.
- Open the lid and stir the soup. Taste for salt, pepper and chili, and add more if you like. Stir in the chopped parsley.
- Stir with sour cream stirred in and grated cheese on top. Both are optional, you can choose to use the sour cream or just the cheese or neither. Garnish with extra parsley.