Looking for a quick and delicious beef recipe? Look no further than Instant Pot Italian Beef Sandwich! This classic dish is a staple in Italian-American cuisine and is sure to satisfy your taste buds.
Ah, Italian Beef – the sandwich of our dreams!
Picture this: Thinly sliced or shredded, mouth-watering roast beef, bursting with zesty seasoning, and slow-cooked to a succulent, melt-in-your-mouth perfection. Then, it’s piled high on a fluffy Italian roll, and topped off with a tangy and crunchy giardiniera (a pickled vegetable relish) or some sweet or spicy peppers, and a gooey layer of melted cheese. And let’s not forget the pièce de résistance – a side of rich and savory au jus for dipping!
This classic sandwich is a proud creation of Chicago’s food scene, dating all the way back to the 1930s. Since then, it’s spread its beefy goodness throughout the Midwest and beyond, becoming a staple for meat-lovers everywhere. Whether you opt for chuck or sirloin, the key to the perfect Italian Beef Sandwich is the slow-cooking process, which ensures that every bite is a burst of flavor that will make your taste buds sing.
Instant Pot Italian Beef
Our Instant Pot Italian Beef recipe is a quick and easy version of this classic Italian-American dish that’s made using the pressure cooker. Simply season and sear a beef roast, pop it in the pot with some beef broth, seasoning and pickled peppers for extra flavor and tag, and let it cook to tender perfection in record time!
Then, pile that juicy, beefy goodness high on a roll, slather on some zesty giardiniera, cheese and dip away in a pool of savory au jus. It’s the perfect way to indulge in the rich flavors of classic Italian Beef without the long wait – a true one-pot wonder!
There are many variations to the Italian Beef recipe, but the key ingredients are beef, Italian seasoning, garlic, onion, and beef broth. Italian seasoning typically includes a blend of dried herbs like oregano, basil, and thyme.
What kind of beef cut to choose? You can use top round roast beef, chuck roast or top sirloin cut. Some people like to use brisket. You really can’t go wrong here, any roast beef cut with a bit of marbling and fat will work in this recipe.
Giardiniera is also a common topping for Italian Beef sandwiches. This pickled vegetable relish usually includes a mix of carrots, cauliflower, celery, and peppers.
Many recipes add the Giardiniera mix or/and pepperoncini peppers, which add extra flavor, tang and a spice kick. In our recipe, we used fresh onions, celery and bell peppers to cook the beef with and used pepperoncini peppers for tang and a little heat. If you have a jar of Giardiniera mix kicking around, you can use it as a topping on a sandwich.
For the sandwiches, you need lovely long soft rolls and some thinly sliced cheese, which melts into the hot beef. Provolone cheese is the traditional choice. It’s smooth, mild and buttery. Mozzarella or Gouda cheese are good alternatives.
You will find the full recipe with ingredients and nutritional breakdown in the recipe card below.
There are three stages to making Italian beef in the pressure cooker. The first stage is to saute the beef and the vegetables. The second stage is to pressure cook the beef in the seasoned broth. The third stage is to shred/slice the meat and to reduce and thicken the finished jus (gravy) on the Saute setting. Then you can assemble the sandwiches!
Let’s break it down with step-by-step photos and video. You can use a 6-quart or 8-quart Instant Pot.
Step 1. Season the beef with salt and pepper.
Step 2. Using the sauté function of the Instant Pot, sear the beef pieces for 1 minute on each side, then remove to a plate.
Step 3. Add a tablespoon of butter, diced onions, celery and red peppers. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until they start to soften. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
Step 4. Add the beef broth and stir the bottom of the pot with a spatula to remove any stuck bits. Not press Cancel to stop the Sauté function.
Step 5. Add the pepperoncini peppers, pepperoncini juice, Italian seasoning, and salt to the broth. Stir to combine.
Step 6. Add back the beef and stir in the sauce. Close the lid and set to pressure cook on high pressure for 60 minutes. Once the timer is done, let the pressure release naturally for 10-15 minutes before manually releasing any remaining pressure.
Step 7. Remove the beef from the Instant Pot and set aside to cool slightly. Then slice thinly or shred with two forks. Slicing is more traditional for Italian beef.
Step 8. Reduce the sauce. Turn the Saute function on MORE and let the cooking broth bubble away for 7-10 minutes to reduce. You can stir in a tablespoon of flour mixed with 2-3 tablespoons of water to thicken it further.
Step 9. Return the sliced beef back to the sauce and stir through.
Step 10. Serve the sliced/shredded beef on hoagie rolls, spoon some of the cooking jus over the beef and serve extra on the side. Top with sliced Provolone or Mozzarella cheese and some Italian pickled vegetables giardiniera (if desired/available). You can also add a few extra sliced pepperoncini peppers on top.
Start with the right cut of beef: Choose a well-marbled roast, such as chuck roast or top sirloin, for the best results. This will help ensure that the beef stays moist and tender during cooking.
Sear the beef before cooking: Searing the beef in the Instant Pot before pressure cooking it helps to lock in the juices and adds extra flavor to the meat.
Season well: Be sure to season the beef with Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper before cooking. You can also add garlic, onion powder, or other spices to give it even more flavor.
Let it natural release: After the cooking cycle is complete, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10-15 minutes. This will help the beef to stay tender and juicy.
How To Serve Italian Beef Sandwiches
Italian Beef Sandwiches can be served in a variety of ways. Here are some ideas:
- Classic Style: Serve an Italian Beef Sandwich on a soft roll, topped with giardiniera, sweet or hot peppers, and melted provolone cheese. You can also add a side of au jus for dipping.
- Open-Faced: For a more elegant presentation, you can serve the Italian Beef Sandwich open-faced. Cut the roll in half and place the sliced beef on top. Drizzle with au jus and top with giardiniera and cheese.
- Slider Style: To make mini Italian Beef Sliders, cut the rolls into smaller pieces and top with a slice of beef, giardiniera, and cheese. This is a great option for parties or gatherings.
- Pizza Style: For a fun twist on the classic sandwich, you can use the Italian Beef as a topping for pizza. Spread some pizza sauce on a crust, add the sliced beef, giardiniera, and cheese, and bake until golden and bubbly.
- BBQ Italian Beef: For a Southern twist on the classic sandwich, mix your beef with some barbecue sauce before serving. Top with coleslaw for a sweet and tangy crunch.
- Philly Cheesesteak Italian Beef: Combine two classic sandwiches by topping your Italian Beef with sautéed onions, peppers, and melted provolone cheese.
- Salad Style: If you’re looking for a healthier option, try serving the Italian Beef on top of a bed of greens with some sliced veggies and a drizzle of balsamic vinaigrette.
- Panini: Turn your Italian Beef into a delicious panini by grilling it on a panini press with some pesto, roasted red peppers, and mozzarella cheese.
- Nachos: Create a fun and easy party snack by topping tortilla chips with Italian Beef, cheese, salsa, and guacamole.
- Stuffed Peppers: Use your Italian Beef as a filling for bell peppers. Bake them in the oven with some tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese for a delicious and healthy meal.
No matter which variation you choose, Italian Beef Sandwiches are a versatile and delicious dish that are perfect for any occasion!
Storing Italian Beef
Italian Beef can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. To store it in the refrigerator, let it cool completely, then transfer it to an airtight container. To store it in the freezer, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and then foil, or place it in a freezer-safe container.
More Instant Pot Beef Recipes
Rate This Recipe
Instant Pot Italian Beef Sandwiches
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 lbs roast top round or chuck roast (or another cut suitable for roast beef) If it comes in one chunk of meat, cut it into 2 halves so it fits nicely in the Instant Pot.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 onion diced
- 1 celery rib diced into cubes
- 4 garlic cloves minced or diced
- 1.5 cups beef broth
- 1 cup pepperoncini peppers jarred, drained, and sliced into rings
- 1/4 cup pepperoncini pepper juice from the jar
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp flour to thicken the sauce after cooking
- 6-8 bread soft rolls or hoagie rolls
- provolone cheese sliced
- pepperoncini peppers sliced for garnish
- 1 cup giardiniera (mild or spicy) drained, Italian pickled vegetables. Look for those that are chopped, otherwise dice them a bit.
- Pat dry the beef roast. Cut into 2 pieces if it’s a big chunk. Season each side with salt and pepper (1 teaspoon of each). Set aside.
- Turn on the Instant Pot to the sauté function. Once hot, add the olive oil and sear the beef pieces for 1 minute on each side.
- Remove the meat, and add a tablespoon of butter, diced onions, celery, and red peppers. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until they start to soften.
- Add the garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Add the beef broth and stir the bottom of the pot with a spatula to remove any stuck bits. Not press Cancel to stop the Sauté function.
- Add the pepperoncini peppers, pepperoncini juice, Italian seasoning, and salt to the broth. Stir to combine.
- Add the beef pieces and stir in the sauce. Close the lid, making sure the vent is set to sealing. Cook on high pressure for 60 minutes. Once the cooking time is complete, let the pressure release naturally for 10-15 minutes before manually releasing any remaining pressure.
- Remove the beef from the Instant Pot and set aside to cool slightly. Then slice thinly or shred with two forks. Slicing is more traditional for Italian beef.
- Now it’s time to reduce the sauce. Turn the Saute function on MORE and let the cooking broth bubble away for 7-10 minutes to reduce. You can stir in a tablespoon of flour mixed with 2-3 tablespoons of water to thicken it further.
- Return the sliced beef back to the sauce and stir through.
- Serve the sliced/shredded beef on hoagie rolls, and spoon some of the cooking liquid over the beef. Top with sliced provolone or mozzarella cheese and some Italian pickled vegetables giardiniera (if desired/available). You can also add a few extra sliced pepperoncini peppers on top.
MORE INSTANT POT ITALIAN-INSPIRED RECIPES
- Instant Pot Chicken Drumsticks
- Instant Pot Lamb Shanks
- Italian Farm House Instant Pot Vegetable Soup
- Instant Pot Italian Fish
COMMENT OR RATE THIS RECIPE
Got questions or feedback? Leave a comment. Made the recipe? Please leave a rating as it helps other readers to discover this dish. Your name and email are required to avoid spam comments; they are never used for any purpose or shared with third parties.