Enjoy three delicious foods in these Instant Pot shredded beef sandwiches. Creamy coleslaw, BBQ beef and cheese and garlic grilled buns in one perfect bite. Give this diner-style classic a go in your own kitchen.
To make these delicious Instant Pot shredded beef sandwiches, you will need soft brioche buns (which we grilled with cheese and garlic butter), creamy coleslaw and fried shallots. And of course, you will need to make a batch of tasty shredded beef. This is where your Instant Pot comes in super handy as you can make it much faster than doing so on the stove or in the oven.
We have a super easy recipe for making Instant Pot shredded beef here, but we also included it below so it’s all in one spot for you. Please note, that the recipe makes more shredded beef than you will need for the four sandwiches below, but you can easily use up the rest later and it freezes well, too. Alternatively, use another favourite recipe instead. You will need 2 cups of shredded beef for the 4 sandwiches.
You can also add things like pickled onions, gherkins, fermented veggies, fresh lettuce, tomato and so on.
For a super quick version, you can pick up ready-cooked shredded beef and coleslaw from a deli, so all you have to do is grill the buns. But trust us, this homemade version is a total winner!Print
Please note, the shredded beef recipe makes a larger batch. You will need 2 cups of shredded beef for 4 bread buns. The rest can be used up later or frozen.
For the BBQ shredded beef (makes 6 servings)
- 2 lb/ 1 kg diced beef (stewing steak like chuck)
- 2 large cloves of garlic, diced roughly
- 1 cube of beef stock, break it apart into smaller crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt (or regular salt and celery seed powder)
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 2 tablespoons Tamari or regular soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon smoky chili flakes, like these ones
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce of choice
For the buns
- 4 brioche or burger buns, cut in halves
- 4 teaspoons of butter
- 1 large garlic clove, finely diced or grated
- 2 oz / 60g sliced cheese like Mozzarella or Cheddar (or grated)
For the coleslaw
- 1 +1/2 cups shredded white or red cabbage (about 1/4 of a small cabbage head)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup fried shallots
- Pickled onions or sliced gherkins
- To make the shredded beef, add all ingredients (except for the BBQ sauce) to the inner pot of the Instant Pot and mix together. Close and lock the lid, making sure the steam valve is pointing to Sealing. Set to Manual, HIGH pressure and set to 45 minutes. After 3 beeps, the Instant Pot will start to build up the pressure and the cooking will begin. Once done, allow the pressure cooker to release the pressure naturally.
- Open the lid and remove the inner pot with the beef. Pour out the broth into a bowl but return the beef to the inner pot. It should be nice and tender. Use a fork or a potato masher to shred the beef into strips. You can also take some of the bigger pieces out and shred them with a fork and a knife on a chopping board. Return all shredded beef back to the inner pot and add a cup of the cooking broth from the bowl. Press the Sauté function key and stir the beef in the broth for 5 minutes, until it starts sizzling. Then, turn the Instant Pot off.
- At this stage, you can transfer the shredded beef to a container, cool it off slightly and then refrigerate until you need to use it. You can also portion it out and freeze for 2-3 months.
- To turn it into the most delicious barbecue shredded beef, simply stir in 1/2 cup of good quality barbecue sauce to the finished meat and stir through. You can now use it in our shredded beef sandwiches.
- To make the sandwiches, preheat the oven to 200 C / 400 F.
- Spread one side of the buns with butter and sprinkle evenly with diced garlic. You can also combine the butter with garlic first and then spread over the bread.
- Top the other side of the buns with the cheese slices. Place the buns (ingredients facing up) on a flat baking tray and place in the oven, close to the grill element. Grill for 3-4 minutes, or until the cheese melts and the buns turn golden brown. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- In the meantime, combine the cabbage with salt, lemon juice and mayonnaise and mix well so that the slaw is evenly coated. Set aside.
- Assemble the buns. Top the bottom buns (without the cheese) with ½ cup of shredded beef each, a couple of tablespoons of coleslaw, a tablespoon of fried shallots, and either pickled onions or sliced gherkins. Top with the cheesy half and or serve it on the side.