If you want a versatile recipe that is perfect for meal prep and batch cooking, try our Instant Pot shredded beef. It’s paleo, gluten-free, and with a Whole30 option. Keep it simple or add a BBQ sauce twist to it.
What we love about shredded beef is that it’s one of those recipes that you can make once and use up multiple times in different dishes. It’s the ultimate batch cooking food that freezes well and allows you to use cheaper cuts of beef. Thus, it’s budget-friendly and great for large families or meal prepping.
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT SHREDDED BEEF
The foundation recipe for this Instant Pot shredded beef uses a few easily accessible spices and flavourings. We wanted to keep this recipe gluten-free and easily adaptable for those following Whole30, paleo or keto diets but you are welcome to replace some ingredients if you wish.
You can use any cut of beef and as we’re cooking it on HIGH for 45 minutes, even the tougher cuts will get tender and juicy. Stewing steak, chuck roast, beef tips – all can be used.
Once cooked, you can shred the beef and use it as is. It can go on top of salads, in a wrap or sandwich, tossed through pasta or served on top of rice or potatoes.
To turn it into the most delicious BBQ shredded beef, simply stir in your preferred barbecue sauce right at the end or before serving. For paleo and sugar-free versions, we love this BBQ sauce.
MORE BEEF RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
- Shredded Beef Sandwiches
- BBQ Bacon Meatloaf in Instant Pot
- Beef Vegetable Soup
- Beef Tacos With Chorizo & Chipotle
- Beef Stroganoff
If you want a versatile recipe that is perfect for meal prep and batch cooking, try our Instant Pot shredded beef. It’s paleo, gluten-free, and with a Whole30 option. Keep it simple or add a BBQ twist to it.
- 2 lb/ 1 kg diced beef (stewing steak like chuck)
- 2 large cloves of garlic, diced roughly
- 1 cube of beef stock, break it apart into smaller crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt (or regular salt and celery seed powder)
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 2 tablespoons Tamari or regular soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon smoky chilli flakes, like these ones
- 2 cups water
- Optional: 1/2 cup barbecue sauce (this one for paleo/Whole30)
- Add all ingredients (except for the BBQ sauce) to the inner pot of the Instant Pot and mix together. Close and lock the lid, making sure the steam valve is pointing to Sealing. Set to Manual, HIGH pressure and set to 45 minutes. After 3 beeps, the Instant Pot will start to build up the pressure and the cooking will begin. Once done, allow the pressure cooker to release the pressure naturally.
- Open the lid and remove the inner pot with the beef. Pour out the broth into a bowl but return the beef to the inner pot. It should be nice and tender. Use a fork or a potato masher to shred the beef into strips. You can also take some of the bigger pieces out and shred them with a fork and a knife on a chopping board. Return all shredded beef back to the inner pot and add a cup of the cooking broth from the bowl. Press the Sauté function key and stir the beef in the broth for 5 minutes, until it starts sizzling. Then, turn the Instant Pot off.
- At this stage, you can transfer the shredded beef to a container, cool it off slightly and then refrigerate until you need to use it. You can also portion it out and freeze for 2-3 months.
- To turn it into the most delicious barbecue shredded beef, simply stir in 1/2 cup of good quality barbecue sauce to the finished meat and stir through. You can then use it in burgers, sandwiches and wraps.
Tamari is a gluten-free version of soy sauce. Coconut aminos can be used for Whole30/paleo version.
Keywords: Meal Prep, Batch Cooking, Paleo, Gluten-Free