These creamy, beautifully spiced Instant Pot lentils are super easy and nutritious, perfect for a plant-based weeknight dinner for the whole family.
Whether you’re looking for a new vegetarian and vegan friendly meal or you’re expanding your lentil recipe repertoire, this dish is a total keeper because it’s easy, full of plant-based protein, healthy fats and veggies.
It’s a creamy stew, similar to dal, but with a creamy coconut twist. It can be served as is, over rice or quinoa, cauliflower rice or zucchini noodles. The choice is yours!
PS. It freezers well and keep in the fridge for a few days, great for leftovers.
We used simple, easy accessible and affordable ingredients in this recipe, including some nutritious veggies.Print
- 2 cups dried lentils (250 ml cups)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion, finely diced
- 1 large celery stick, finely diced
- 1 large carrot, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 heaped teaspoons mild curry powder
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely diced
- 4–5 cherry tomatoes, halved (or 1 medium tomato, chopped)
- 1 can coconut milk (mix well before opening), about 400 ml
- 1 + 1/4 cups of vegetable stock (or water + 1 vegetable stock cube)
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Garnish with fresh cilantro/coriander
- Rinse and drain the lentils and set aside.
- Turn the Instant Pot and press the Sauté function button.
- Add the oil and heat up slightly, then add the onions, carrots, celery and salt and cook for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, add the curry powder, lentils, garlic and tomatoes and stir through. Add coconut milk and vegetable stock, stir.
- Then turn off the Sauté function by pressing Cancel/Keep Warm button. Place and lock the lid, making sure the valve is pointing at Sealing. Press the Manual, HIGH pressure and adjust the time to 5 minutes. After 3 beeps, the Instant Pot will start building up the pressure (about 5 minutes) and then the cooking. Once the timer goes off, allow 10 minutes for the pressure to release naturally and then use the quick release method (carefully move the lid valve to Venting) to let the rest of the steam off. Then open the lid, add the lime juice and stir the lentils.
- Serve with fresh cilantro/coriander on top.
Follow us on Instagram and show what’re you making in your Instant Pot tonight!
Tag @instantpoteats or use hashtag #instantpoteats.