This creamy, beautifully spiced Instant Pot lentil curry is super easy and nutritious, perfect for a plant-based weeknight dinner for the whole family. It’s a thick, stew-like curry that can be served over rice or as is with some crusty bread.
Whether you’re looking for a new vegetarian and vegan-friendly meal or you’re expanding your lentil recipe repertoire, this coconut curry dish is a total keeper because it’s easy, full of plant-based protein, healthy fats and veggies.
This Instant Pot lentil curry stew, similar to dal, but with a creamy coconut twist. It can be served as is, over rice or quinoa, cauliflower rice or zucchini noodles. The choice is yours! Make sure to try our nutritious Indian spinach rice or turmeric rice.
PS. This curry freezes well and keeps in the fridge for a few days, so it’s great for leftovers.
Ingredients For Instant Pot Lentil Curry
We used simple, easy accessible and affordable ingredients in this recipe, including some nutritious veggies. You can use any type of dried lentils and the recipe is for unsoaked (just rinsed) legumes.
In terms of spices, these curried lentils only use mild curry powder. It’s a simple and lightly spiced yet very flavorful dish. The part that takes the most effort is dicing all onions, carrots, celery and garlic.
If you can’t eat garlic, it can be replaced with some ginger instead.
MORE INSTANT POT LENTIL RECIPESPrint
These creamy, beautifully spiced vegetarian Instant Pot lentil curry stew is super easy and nutritious, perfect for a plant-based weeknight dinner for the whole family. It can be served as is, over rice or quinoa, cauliflower rice or zucchini noodles.
- 2 cups dried lentils (250 ml cups)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 large celery stick, finely diced
- 1 large carrot, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 heaped teaspoons mild curry powder
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely diced
- 4–5 cherry tomatoes, halved (or 1 medium tomato, chopped)
- 1 can coconut milk (mix well before opening), about 400 ml
- 2 cups of vegetable stock (or water + 1 vegetable stock cube) – NOTE: this has been updated as per comments/feedback!
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Garnish with fresh cilantro/coriander
- Rinse and drain the lentils and set aside.
- Turn the Instant Pot and press the Sauté function button.
- Add the oil and heat up slightly, then add the onions, carrots, celery and salt and cook for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, add the curry powder, lentils, garlic and tomatoes and stir through. Add coconut milk and vegetable stock, stir.
- Then turn off the Sauté function by pressing Cancel/Keep Warm button. Place and lock the lid, making sure the valve is pointing at Sealing. Press the Manual, HIGH pressure and adjust the time to 5 minutes. After 3 beeps, the Instant Pot will start building up the pressure (about 5 minutes) and then the cooking. Once the timer goes off, allow 10 minutes for the pressure to release naturally and then use the quick release method (carefully move the lid valve to Venting) to let the rest of the steam off. Then open the lid, add the lime juice and stir the lentils.
- Serve with fresh cilantro/coriander on top.
Keywords: Curry, Legumes, Coconut