Learn how to make Instant Pot chocolate lava cake (or rather mini cakes) with a twist of orange. These are decadent and light in texture filled with gooey “molten” chocolate center and will melt on your plate and in your mouth. Super delicious and easy to make. This lava cakes recipe is from Laurel Randolph’s latest Instant Pot Desserts Cookbook. Make sure to rank this recipe and comment below with any feedback or your own tips for making the perfect Instant Pot lava cakes.
Let’s face it, tor the ultimate in decadent chocolate desserts, a lava cake comes out on the top of the list. These Instant Pot chocolate lava cakes are based on Melissa Clark’s recipe and are adapted by Laurel for her latest cookbook with an addition of orange zest and extract. This little citrus hint works incredibly well with chocolate!
More Instant Pot recipes for chocolate lovers here.
A little bit about chocolate lava cake
Never had a lava cake before? It’s also known as a molten chocolate cake and is a popular dessert that combines the elements of a flourless chocolate cake and a soufflé. Its name derives from the dessert’s liquid chocolate center (batter that has warmed up during cooking but hasn’t fully set) and it is also known as chocolate moelleux, chocolate lava cake, or simply lava cake. A very small amount of flour is used in these cakes giving a rich creamy texture.
What kind of chocolate you use depends on how intense you want this dessert to be—use a mix of bittersweet and semisweet for a nice balance. It’s important to use high-quality chocolate as this is the main flavor and you will taste the difference when using a better ingredient.
While chocolate is the classic flavor for the molten lava cakes, you can create unique variations by adding a flavor you enjoy like orange zest (in our case), raspberry reduction or a hit of caramel or peanut butter.
Instant Pot Chocolate Orange Lava Cake
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 9 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 cakes 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Decadent melt-in-your-mouth Instant Pot chocolate lava cakes with a hint of orange zest and extract are perfectly light in texture, yet rich in flavor and gooey in the middle. Make them for a special dessert in 30 minutes!
1 stick unsalted butter (½ cup)
6 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped (or chocolate chips)
1 cup powdered sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
1 teaspoon orange extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
You will need four ramekins
- Add the steam rack to the pot and 1¼ cups water. Butter four 6 or 7-ounce ramekins.
- Melt the butter and chocolate together. Using a microwave: heat in 30-second increments in a heatproof bowl, stirring between each increment. On the stovetop: add to a small saucepan and heat, stirring, over medium-low heat just until melted.
- Add the melted butter and chocolate to a medium mixing bowl. Add the powdered sugar and salt and whisk until mixed. Add the eggs, egg yolk, orange zest, orange extract, and vanilla and whisk. Add the flour and whisk just until combined.
- Add an equal amount of batter to each prepared ramekin. Cover each with aluminum foil and place on the steam rack. Secure the lid.
- Cook at high pressure for 9 minutes and use a quick release.
- Carefully remove from the cooker and let sit for 3 minutes, still covered. Remove the foil and run a knife around the edge between the cake and the ramekin. Invert onto a plate and serve immediately.
3-quart: Cook in batches | 8-quart: Make as written
Can you reheat lava cakes? You can reheat these chocolate lava cakes by putting them in the oven upside-down on a baking sheet at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Serving Size: 1 lava cake
- Calories: 637
- Sugar: 54.1 g
- Sodium: 198.4 mg
- Fat: 39.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 23.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 65.9 g
- Fiber: 3.4 g
- Protein: 9.2 g
- Cholesterol: 229.6 mg
Keywords: Desserts, Chocolate
Get Instant Pot Desserts cookbook here.
Photo Credit © Rebecca Peloquin
MORE INSTANT POT DESSERTS TO TRY
- Chocolate Brownie Cake
- Chocolate Pretzel Cake With Salted Caramel
- 13 Drool-worthy Desserts For The Instant Pot
- Light & Healthy Peach Cheesecake
- Keto Lemon Cheesecake (Gluten-Free)
SAVE THIS LAVA CAKES RECIPE TO PINTEREST
COMMENT OR RATE THIS RECIPE
Got questions or feedback? Leave a comment. Made the recipe? Please leave a rating as it helps other readers to discover this dish. Your name and email are required to avoid spam comments; they are never used for any purpose or shared with third parties.