Hearty and comforting like a nanna’s hug, this meal of stewed Instant Pot chicken and potatoes recipe will become your family’s favourite. It also happens to be gluten-free and can be dairy-free (minus the butter), making it a great all-rounder for those with dietary restrictions.
We love a good one-pot meal and with the Instant Pot, you can make this tasty and rustic meal of stewed chicken and potatoes with minimal cleanup. Plus, cooking the potatoes and chicken at the same time allows for the flavours of the poultry, leeks and vegetables to infuse the spuds, while the starch in them thickens the broth and makes it rich and hearty.
STEWED INSTANT POT CHICKEN & POTATOES
We used a combination of chicken breast and thighs meat in this recipe, but you can use whatever cut is available or suitable for your budget. Turkey meat or pork would also work well in this dish.
We wanted to make it a little bit French-inspired, so we used leeks sautéed in butter as our base, but you can easily use olive oil for a dairy-free/Whole30 friendly option.
If you can’t eat white potatoes, you can replace them with sweet potatoes, parsnips, pumpkin or other starchy vegetables. We hope you enjoy this quick and easy dinner meal!
CAN I USE OTHER CHICKEN PARTS FOR THIS RECIPE?
Yes, you can use chicken thighs (whole or diced), chicken legs or a combination of chicken meat. If cooking whole chicken legs or whole chicken thighs, increase the cooking time by 5 minutes as the chicken will need longer to cook through.
CAN I MAKE THIS DISH IN A SLOW-COOKER OR ON THE STOVETOP?
Follow the directions the same, whether you’re doing it on the stove or in a slow cooker. If the slow cooker is ceramic, do the Sauteing part in a pot on the stove and then transfer and mix all ingredients in the slow cooker vessel. Slow cooker: cook for about 3-4 hours on high or 4-6 on low. Stovetop: cook for 35-40 minutes.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN & POTATOES IN INSTANT POT
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
- Moroccan Lamb & Potato Stew
- Italian Bean & Pork Stew
- Creamy Garlic Chicken & Mushroom Stew
- Italian Chicken Scarpariello
- 20+ Instant Pot Chicken Breast Recipes
Instant Pot chicken and potatoes will become your family’s favourite. You can make this tasty one-pot rustic meal of chicken and potatoes with minimal cleanup.
- 1 large leek (white and pale green parts only), halved, washed and diced
- 1 oz / 28 g of butter (salted or unsalted, ghee or 2 tablespoons of olive oil)
- 2 medium chicken breasts (0.7 lb / 350 g ), diced
- 4 skinless chicken thighs (0.5 lb / 300g ), diced
- 3–4 large potatoes (about 1.7 lb / 800 g), diced into large cubes (larger than chicken pieces)
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen peas (optional)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cube of chicken stock (or 400 ml / 1.5 cups broth)
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 + 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white or black pepper
- 400 ml (1 + 1/2 cups) water
- Turn the Instant Pot on and press the Sauté function.
- Add the leeks and butter and cook for 4-5 minutes, until softened.
- Add the rest of the ingredients. Reserve half of the peas (if using) for later.
- Stir everything in the pot, and press the Keep Warm/Cancel button to stop the Sauté process.
- Place and lock the lid, making sure the top vent is pointing to Sealing. Press the Manual setting, HIGH pressure and adjust the time to 10 minutes. After 3 beeps the Instant Pot will start to build up the pressure and begin the cooking process. The pressure should take about 10 minutes to build, plus 10 minutes of cooking, so about 20 minutes in total.
- In the meantime, add the remaining frozen peas to a bowl of boiling hot water to defrost.
- Once the timer goes off, allow 5 minutes for the pressure to release naturally; then, use a quick release method (move the top vent knob to Venting, while standing away from the Instant Pot as the steam will shoot up in the air).
- Open the lid, stir through and serve topped with the remaining defrosted peas and a little extra lemon zest and black pepper for garnish, if you like.
For a dairy-free version, replace butter with ghee or olive oil.
White potato can be replaced with sweet potato.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 573
- Sugar: 7 g
- Sodium: 1184.5 mg
- Fat: 12.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 72.5 g
- Protein: 44.7 g
- Cholesterol: 142.7 mg