This Sri Lankan inspired Instant Pot cabbage is nutritious and budget-friendly. Braised with coconut and spices, it is aromatic and light and can be served as a delicious side or as a main with some rice. It is vegan, gluten-free, and Whole30 friendly.
Cabbage is a nutritious and budget-friendly vegetable that is available all year round. It's great in raw salads and slaws but it's also perfect for cooking up a big batch of hearty soup or stew.
Today, we want to share an Instant Pot cabbage recipe that is inspired by a Sri Lankan dish called mallum or mallung, which literally means “mix up”. It's made with cabbage and warm spices like mustard seeds and turmeric, plus some delicious shredded coconut.
This cabbage stew, or curry if you like, is dairy-free and gluten-free and is perfect over some lovely rice or beans for a healthy vegan or vegetarian dinner. You will find the full nutrition breakdown below the recipe.
WHAT YOU NEED FOR THIS INSTANT POT CABBAGE
Regular white cabbage is used in this recipe and you can easily use other cruciferous vegetables such as cauliflower, Brussels sprouts or broccoli.
If you don't have mustard seeds, feel free to use some mustard powder or regular yellow mustard. It keeps well in the fridge for 3-4 days and is lovely cold or reheated.
Dried coconut flakes or shredded coconut can be used but make sure it's unsweetened.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH COCONUT CABBAGE
This cabbage stew has flavor characteristics of light curry and can be served as a main dish with a side of rice, quinoa or naan bread. It could also work well as a side with simple grilled fish, chicken, or tofu. You can add some cooked chickpeas or lentils to the cabbage stew to up its protein content.
WHAT PEOPLE SAY ABOUT THIS CABBAGE DISH
LOVE this dish. Made it again tonight subbing coconut milk for some of the water. Served it over rice and roasted cauliflower, topped it with crushed cashews. So, so good. THANK YOU for having such a terrific website!
★★★★★ - Melissa
I followed your recipe exactly and it was perfect. My husband kept asking for more. I served it with fish (trout).
★★★★★ - Pauline
Made this tonight and it was a big hit. Paired it was a grain combo, Trader Joe’s chicken tikka samosas and lime pickle chutney. Absolutely delicious and enough for lunch tomorrow! Thank you for a great recipe.
★★★★★ - Kathleen
MORE INSTANT POT RECIPES TO TRY
- Tasty Instant Pot Cabbage Recipes
- The Best Instant Pot Curry Recipes
- Instant Pot Curry With Mushrooms & Peas
- Instant Pot Carrots with Honey Soy Glaze
- Instant Pot Collard Greens with Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- Instant Pot Green Bean Casserole
Rate This Recipe
Instant Pot Cabbage With Coconut & Spices (Sri Lankan Style)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 medium onion cut into halves and both halves sliced
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- 2 large cloves of garlic diced
- ½ long red chili sliced
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds or 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon mild curry powder
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1 medium cabbage cut into quarters and shredded or sliced (core removed)
- 1 medium carrot peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons lime or lemon juice
- ½ cup desiccated unsweetened coconut
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ⅓ cup water
- Turn the Instant Pot on and press the Sauté function key (it should say High, 30 mins). Add the coconut oil, onion, and half of the salt then sauté for 3-4 minutes, until softened.
- Add the garlic, chili and spices and stir through for 20-30 seconds.
- Add the cabbage and carrots, lime juice, coconut, and olive oil and stir through. Add the water and stir through. Press Keep Warm/Cancel button.
- Place and lock the lid, make sure the steam releasing handle is pointing to Sealing. Press Manual (High Pressure) and set to 5 minutes. After 3 beeps, the pressure cooker will start going. Once the time is up, use the quick release to let off the pressure.
- Serve with rice or beans or as a side dish with fish or chicken.