This kid-friendly Instant Pot chicken and sweet potatoes stew is one of those recipes you can keep in your back pocket when you just need something quick and easy. This gluten-free and dairy-free recipe comes from Carrie Forrest, creator of the Clean Eating Kitchen website, a great resource for healthy and delicious recipes.
Carrie loves cooking healthy meals in her Instant Pot and she has tons of pressure cooker recipes on her site. Carrie is also giving away her Clean Eating Instant Pot e-book to anyone who joins her e-mail list here.
Note from author
Hi everyone! I’m a huge fan of the Instant Pot Eats website. I am kind of obsessed with my Instant Pot, I even made my entire Thanksgiving meal last year in my pressure cooker just to prove to myself that I could do it.
This recipe for Instant Pot chicken with mashed sweet potatoes is one of the easiest recipes I’ve ever made, but also one of the most delicious. It’s a whole meal in one pot, so it’s super easy to throw together and clean up! This recipe is great for kids because it doesn’t have onion or any other strong flavors that kids often don’t like.
The sweet potatoes turn out really creamy, and the ground cinnamon makes them even sweeter. The chicken gets cooked perfectly. I hope you love this recipe as much as I do! Oh, it’s gluten-free and dairy-free, suitable for those following a paleo or Whole30 diets.
MORE HEALTHY INSTANT POT RECIPES
- 20 Scrumptious Instant Pot Sweet Potato Recipes
- Healthy Instant Pot Sloppy Joes over baked sweet potatoes (also kid-friendly)
- Instant Pot Chicken Tacos With Pineapple Salsa
- Instant Pot Chicken & Potato Stew (With White Potatoes)
- Moroccan Lamb & Potato Stew
This kid-friendly, super healthy Instant Pot recipe for chicken and sweet potatoes is a definite keeper. It’s super easy to make with a few basic ingredients.
- 1 pound / 500 g boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 medium sweet potato, chopped
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons ghee or butter if you can tolerate it
- ½ medium lemon, juiced
- Drizzle your cooking oil into the Instant Pot bowl and press the Sauté button. Let the oil heat up for about two minutes.
- Place the chicken in the pot and use a wooden spoon or spatula to move it around. Add the thyme, garlic powder, cinnamon, and salt. Let the chicken cook for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally so it cooks on all sides.
- Add the broth and use a wooden spoon to scrape off any pieces of chicken that have stuck to the bottom of the pot.
- Add the chopped sweet potatoes and tomatoes and stir to combine.
- Cancel the Sauté button and lock on the lid. Set the cooking time to 10 minutes on high pressure.
- When the cooking time is up, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, then quick-release the remaining pressure. Remove the lid and stir in the ghee/butter and fresh lemon juice.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator in a tightly-sealed container for up to 4 days. This dish will keep up to several months in the freezer.
You need 10 minutes prep, 10 minutes time to pressure, 10 minutes cooking time; 10 minutes natural release, 40 minutes total for this recipe.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 288
- Sugar: 3.5 g
- Sodium: 238.6 mg
- Fat: 13 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 12.3 g
- Fiber: 1.9 g
- Protein: 30.3 g
- Cholesterol: 106.5 mg