This quick and easy Instant Pot broccoli soup is served with aromatic and zesty gremolata made of parsley and lemon zest on top. It’s vegan, gluten-free and Whole30 friendly.
This tasty pressure cooker broccoli soup is great for a little plant-based nutrient boost. Rich in Vitamin C, potassium and antioxidants, it’s a great meal for cooler weather and to boost your immune system.
We love serving it with the gremolata – a condiment of chopped parsley, lemon zest and garlic– which freshens up the soup and gives it an added Mediterranean twist. The Italian gremolata recipe often contains chopped anchovies as well, which you are welcome to use if you eat fish.
Before you start cooking
Make sure to cut the potatoes small cubes and slice the larger florets of the broccoli into halves, so they all cook evenly together (e.g. your potato cubes are too large, they will need longer cooking time than broccoli).
If using vegetable stock, make sure to use less salt than states in the ingredients as sodium is usually added to the stock already. You can always add more salt once the soup is ready.
The soup freezes well and will also last for 3-4 days in the fridge.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion, peeled and finely diced
- 1 large celery stick, diced
- 1 lb / 450-500 g broccoli, cut into quarters and the stems diced roughly
- 2 medium white potatoes (350 g / 0.7 lb), peeled and diced into small cubes
- 2 large cloves of garlic, diced
- 1 litre of water or/and vegetable stock (4 x 250 ml cups)
- 2 +1/2 teaspoons salt (use less if using vegetable stock)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup coconut cream/milk (the thickened part of the coconut milk in a can) – optional!
- 1 lemon, zest only
- Large handful of fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, finely chopped (optional)
- Turn the Instant Pot on and press the Sauté function key. Add the olive oil, onions and celery. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring a couple of times.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except for the lemon and parsley) and stir through. Press Cancel/Keep Warm to stop the sauté process. Place and lock the lid, then press Manual, High pressure for 3 minutes. After 3 beeps, the Instant Pot will start to build up the pressure. Once the cooking is done and the timer goes off, allow 2-3 minutes for natural pressure release and then use the quick release method to let out the rest of the pressure/steam.
- In the meantime, grate the peel of the lemon and chop the parsley. You can also use a peeler to cut the rind off and chop it very finely. Combine the lemon zest and parsley together with the garlic, if using, in a bowl and set aside.
- Add the juice of 1/2 lemon to the soup mixture. Transfer the soup, in batches, to a food processor or a blender (be careful with the hot soup in plastic blenders!) and process into puree. Return to the pot and stir in the coconut cream or crème fraîche/sour cream (if okay with dairy), or go without. Add more salt and pepper, if you wish.
- Serve the soup in bowls topped with a teaspoon or two of the gremolata.
Follow us on Instagram and show what’re you making in your Instant Pot tonight!
Tag @instantpoteats or use hashtag #instantpoteats.