Fluffy and flavorful, this cream cheese mashed potatoes with fresh dill is the perfect side dish that will please the whole family. It would be great for a weeknight dinner, Thanksgiving or Christmas potluck and as a make-ahead side. This is an Instant Pot mashed potato recipe that is quick and easy to prepare and is gluten-free and vegetarian-friendly.
Creamy mashed potatoes is the most loved and devoured side dish. And while choosing the right potatoes can affect the texture of your final dish, the secret to a good mash is all the other things you add to make it rich, lush and creamy such as butter, milk or sour cream, heavy cream, Parmesan cheese, garlic or mustard, chives or dill, and plenty of salt.
Every family has a go-to recipe but we hope that you try out Instant Pot mashed potatoes with cream cheese. It’s rich, creamy and a little tangy with that gorgeous, unique aroma of fresh dill.
We used light cream cheese to make this mash a little lighter but you can use the full-fat version for a fully decadent finish. Cream cheese adds the same touch as sour cream or cream but with that added mild cheesy flavor; plus, a little extra protein to your mash. We also used a splash of milk and some butter and using the Instant Pot made the whole process super quick and easy.
HOW TO MAKE MASHED POTATOES IN INSTANT POT
You will find the full list of ingredients, instructions and nutritional breakdown for this dish in the recipe card below. Here is a handy video to show you how we made this cream cheese mashed potatoes dish.
You can use any white potatoes suitable for mashing – Russets or Yukon golds – or even the all-rounder red skin potatoes (also known as Désirée potatoes).
For a perfect side dish the whole family will love, make our cream cheese mashed potatoes in the Instant Pot. It’s deliciously creamy and fluffy with the addition of fresh dill of that perfect aroma. This quick and easy recipe makes 6 servings and you can make a smaller batch or save the leftovers for another meal.
2.5 lb medium-sized potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 teaspoons salt
1 oz / 30 g butter
1/3 cup milk of choice
1/2 cup light cream cheese
2–3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
A little black pepper
A 6-quart or 8-quart Instant Pot is suitable, you can make a smaller batch in the 3-quart Instant pot following the same directions.
- Place peeled cubed potatoes inside the Instant Pot and add just enough cold water to barely cover the potatoes. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and stir gently.
- Pop the lid on top, lock and set the Instant Pot to Manual/Pressure Cook for 2 minutes at HIGH pressure. Given the amount of cold water in the pot, it will take about 10-12 minutes to build up the pressure. Once the timer is done, you can use the Quick Release method to let off the pressure (point the top valve to Venting). You can also leave it on natural release for a few minutes, it will just cook the potatoes for a little bit longer.
- Open the lid, remove the inner pot and strain the potatoes. Return to the pot, add the milk, butter, cream cheese, an extra teaspoon of salt, pepper and the fresh dill. Mash everything into smooth-ish consistency. You can use a potato masher and also a whisk at the end to whip it into a more fluffy, creamy consistency. If you like your mash a little thinner, add extra milk.
You can also add garlic powder or Dijon mustard. Fresh chives can be used instead of dill.
Keywords: Potatoes, Cream Cheese, Vegetarian, Sides
MORE INSTANT POT POTATO RECIPES
- Easy Salt Potatoes With Herb Butter
- Baby Potatoes With Dill & Butter
- Scalloped Leeks & Potatoes
- Ground Turkey & Potato Stew
SAVE THIS MASHED POTATO RECIPE TO PINTEREST