Want a quick and easy soup that is hearty and nutritious? This Italian-inspired farmhouse soup is just the thing. It’s a tasty vegan vegetable soup for those nights when you want to give your digestion a break or if you feel like a need a lighter meal. You know those times, right?
The best thing is that although this soup is detox and diet friendly, it doesn’t skip on the flavour. With the addition of savoury mushrooms, lots of garlic and herbs, this meal is bursting with tasty goodness. And you can make a large batch to enjoy over a few days.
Before you get cooking
This soup is a great canvas, and as a painter, you can add whatever vegetables you have on hand. Want to make it a bit heavier? Add some white potatoes or parsnips. Feel like turning it into an omnivore’s delight? Add some free-range ham or top it with grated cheese. I focused on easy nutrient dense vegetables that are light and easy to digest.
I used cavolo nero, which is a dark green, leafy, kale-like vegetable common in Italian cooking. You can use regular kale, spinach or collard greens instead. Dried porcini mushroom add the most amazing forest, umami flavour to this dish but if you can’t find any, feel free to use some dried shiitake, or just stick to fresh button mushrooms.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- Generous pinch of salt
- ½ long red chilli, sliced
- 2 celery sticks, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, halved lengthways and sliced
- 6 large button mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, diced
- A handful of dried porcini mushrooms (forest mushrooms)
- 100 grams cavolo nero/kale leaves (medium bunch of kale), leaves removed from the hard stems and sliced roughly
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 cup tinned chopped tomatoes or tomato passata
- 1 litre (4 cups) vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- Lemon zest and chopped parsley for garnish
- Turn the Instant Pot on and press Sauté function key, the pot will start to heat up.
- Add coconut oil, onion, salt, celery and carrots and stir through. Cook for about a minute or two, while slicing the mushrooms.
- Add the chilli, mushrooms, garlic, and dried porcini mushrooms and stir through. Cook for 2 minutes on Sauté, while preparing cavolo nero/kale leaves and zucchini.
- Add the kale, zucchini, tomatoes, stock and bay leave and stir through. Press the OFF function key. Close and lock the lid of the Instant Pot. Check that the the lid knob is turned to Sealing. Press Manual key, High Pressure, and set to 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, allow the pressure to release naturally for a couple of minutes and then use the quick release method to let the rest of the steam out. Serve in bowls with grated lemon zest and chopped parsley on top.
- If you eat dairy, feel free to grate some Parmesan cheese over the top.
If you enjoy this recipe, share it with your Instant Pot loving friends and family. Questions and comments are welcome! Don’t forget to share this recipe on Pinterest, here is a pic for you.