This delicious Instant Pot osso buco dish is made with veal shanks and ripened tinned tomatoes and we have thrown in the rice to turn it into a hearty, one-pot, family-friendly meal. It can be made with regular beef steak, pork chops or even chicken on the bone and is gluten-free.
Osso buco is a fabulous Italian dish of slowly braised cross-cut veal shanks with vegetables, wine and tomatoes. It’s traditionally served with rissoto and topped with gremolata (finely chopped parsley and lemon zest). Today, we’re making a much quicker and easier version of this meal – one-pot osso buco rice – using our trusted Instant Pot.
The best part about this dish is that you only need one pot. Less cleaning up AND cooking the rice directly in the broth gives it an incredible flavour. It’s like we’re combining the osso buco and risotto in one dish. Topped with zesty gremolata, this is a cracker of a meal that we know you will enjoy.
Before you get cooking
We used 4 veal osso buco shanks and this recipe yields enough for 3-4 servings. You can add an extra veal shank and more rice, simply increase the liquid (water and tomatoes) and the seasoning to taste.
The beauty of this recipe is that you can use any other meat. It would work just as well with braising beef or lamb steak, lamb shanks, diced pork and even chicken drumsticks. The sauce is super versatile.
I always pre-soak and rinse the rice really well before adding to the pot. This softens the rice, removes some impurities and the starch, making it less likely to turn gluggy.
This delicious one-pot osso buco is the perfect dish to cook in your Instant Pot. If osso buco/veal shanks are not available, you can use other types of braising meat
- 4 veal osso buco shanks or lamb shanks (about 1.4 lb / 650–700 g with the bone in)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 large celery stick, diced1 teaspoon coconut oil or olive oil
- Generous pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 large cloves of garlic, diced or sliced
- 1/3 cup red wine or white wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 cups chicken stock (I used water and 1 cube stock)
- 1 cup tinned chopped tomatoes1 tablespoon Tamari or soy sauce (optional)
- 1 cup uncooked Basmati organic rice
- 3–4 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 1 small clove of garlic, grated
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Pat-dry the meat using paper towel. Season the meat with a little salt and pepper.
- Add coconut or olive oil to the Instant Pot and press Sauté. Once hot, add the veal shanks and pan-fry for 20-30 seconds on each side to seal. You can do this in batches, if you can’t fit all four pieces in the pot.
- While still on Sauté, remove the shanks to a plate. Add the onion, carrot and celery with an extra teaspoon of coconut oil and some salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring a few times.
- Add red wine and stir for 30 seconds. Then add the rest of the ingredients, except for rice, and stir through. Return the meat to the pot and submerge under the sauce, allowing some of the vegetables to go above and in between the pieces. Press Keep Warm/Cancel to stop the Sauté process.
- Place and lock the lid, making sure the steam release handle is pointing to Sealing. Press Manual (High Pressure) and set the timer to 45 mins. After 3 beeps, the pressure cooker will start going.
- In the meantime, soak a cup of rice in double the cold water for 45 minutes. Rinse well and leave in the sieve to strain.
- Once the timer goes off, let some of the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes, then use the quick release method to let the rest of the steam out. Once the pressure valve is down, open the lid. Remove the bigger pieces of the meat (it should be falling off the bone) to a plate. Add the uncooked rice to the pot and stir through. Place the meat and bones back on the top and allow to submerge slightly.
- Press and lock the lid of the pressure cooker. Press Rice function key (Normal, 10 Minutes) and let it do its thing. Prepare the gremolata by mixing chopped parsley with grated lemon zest and garlic in a little bowl.
- Once the timer goes off, release the pressure naturally for 5 minutes, the use the quick release method. Open the lid and serve the osso buco rice topped with a generous sprinkle of gremolata.
Keywords: one-pot osso buco veal shanks braising meat carrot onion celery
If you enjoy this recipe, share it with your Instant Pot loving friends and family. Questions and comments are welcome! Don’t forget to share this recipe on Pinterest, here is a pic for you.