This lovely Instant Pot garlic mushroom quinoa with cherry tomatoes is made quickly and easily using a pressure cooker. It’s vegan and gluten-free and works well as a main or a side dish.
This gorgeous Instant Pot garlic mushroom quinoa dish is perfect for a lazy, nutritious dinner. It’s suitable to vegans, vegetarians and omnivores alike, and can be served a main with a salad or some greens, or as a side dish.
If you’re new to quinoa, it’s a nutritious and tasty ancient grain that’s become a staple ‘superfood’ in many kitchens. It’s actually not a grain but rather a pseudo-grain or a seed that is high in protein, including all essential amino acids, fibre (great for digestion and weight loss), and many minerals and vitamins. It’s gluten-free and perfect for anyone looking for a more nutritious alternative to rice, pasta or other grains and legumes.
Buy fair-trade quinoa whenever possible as it’s a more ethical and sustainable way to consume this wonderful ancient grain. We use this brand, which comes as white and red quinoa.
HOW TO MAKE GARLIC MUSHROOM QUINOA IN INSTANT POT
Cooking quinoa on a stovetop takes around 15-20 minutes, and while you can easily make this dish without an Instant Pot, it does make things quick and easy…with less cleaning up. The ratio of quinoa to stock is 1:1 in this recipe if you want to make a larger batch of this dish, increase the amounts proportionally to each other.
You can use any type of mushrooms. If you have some dried porcini mushrooms, we highly recommend adding a handful of those to the mix as well; they will add wonderful forest-y smell and flavour.
MORE INSTANT POT QUINOA RECIPESPrint
This gorgeous Instant Pot quinoa dish is perfect for a lazy, nutritious dinner. Made with garlic mushrooms and cherry tomatoes, it’s vegan, gluten-free and can be served as a main or a side dish.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, sliced into circles or diced
- 2 heaped cups of sliced button mushrooms (about 15 medium button mushrooms)
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- A pinch of ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 cup quinoa (we used a mix of red and white fair-trade quinoa)
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 8–10 cherry tomatoes (you can slice a whole tomato as well)
- Chopped spring onions or parsley, for garnish
- Press the Sauté key on the Instant Pot (it should say Normal, 30 mins). Add olive oil and let it heat up slightly while you finish preparing the ingredients. If using stock cubes, set a kettle to boil
- Add the onion and carrot and cook for 2 minutes, stirring through a couple of times. Then add the mushrooms and cook together for 3-4 minutes, stirring a couple of times as well.
- Add lemon zest, juice, pepper, sale and garlic and stir through. Add the quinoa, stir through and pour in the stock. Stir everything together and press Keep Warm/Cancel button to stop the cooking process.
- Stir the quinoa with the stock and scrape any quinoa seeds from the side of the pot. Add cherry tomatoes over the top. Place and lock the lid, make sure the steam releasing handle is pointing to Sealing. Press Manual, High Pressure, 10 minutes. After 3 beeps, the pressure cooker will start going.
- Once the timer goes off, use the quick release method to let off the pressure before opening the lid.
- Sprinkle with fresh herbs or chopped spring onion and serve with a salad or a side of cooked greens.
Cooking time below include the pressurizing of the Instant Pot