Think of traditional comfort foods and curried sausages come to mind. This is a fusion meal of sausages cooked in a creamy, curry-spiced tomato broth inspired by both German and Indian cuisines. It's particularly popular in Australia, where it's been served by nannas for multiple generations. Our recipe for Instant Pot curried sausages is so quick and easy, that it will be become a favourite meal to make on a busy weeknight.
This curried sausages recipe is so, so simple! It's a dump'n'cook dish: you literally throw all ingredients in the pot, pop the Instant Pot lid on, set the time and relax. Okay, you might like to make a side of cooked rice, but you can equally serve this dish as is with some steamed vegetables, or some crusty bread.
This dish is gluten-free but it does contain some dairy. If you're using dairy-free coconut milk, this dish is perfectly Whole30 and paleo compliant. Make sure to get good quality, gluten-free sausages.
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE CURRIED SAUSAGES
For this recipe, we used thick pork sausages (for best quality, look for sausage with high pork meat content, around 80%) but you can also use good quality Frankfurters or other links. Vegetarian-style sausages would also work well in this recipe and you can reduce the cooking time to 4-5 minutes. The sausages are left whole and you can slice them into bite-size pieces after cooking.
You don't need to add any water! Tinned diced tomatoes and heavy cream (double cream in the UK, or cooking cream), together with the steam and liquid from the vegetables, will provide sufficient broth amounts. Coconut milk/cream would work really well for a dairy-free version.
You can also add diced potato to this recipe, which would make it a great one-pot meal with no side rice or pasta required. If adding more vegetables or more sausages, please increase the amount of tinned tomatoes, cream and curry powder to achieve the same flavour and broth amount.
MORE EASY INSTANT POT DINNERS
- Instant Pot Chicken, Ham & Vegetable Pasta
- Instant Pot Chicken Tacos With Pineapple Salsa
- Instant Pot Pork Chops With Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana With Sausage
- Instant Pot Italian Pork & Bean Stew
Rate This Recipe
Curried Sausages & Peas (Instant Pot Recipe)
- 8-10 pork sausage links or 6-8 thicker sausages
- ½ onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 oz. French green beans snap beans, tails cut off and halved
- 2 medium carrots peeled and sliced
- 1.5 tablespoons mild curry powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1.25 cups diced tomatoes tinned
- ½ cup heavy cream or coconut milk for a dairy-free version
- Add all ingredients in the inner pot and mix through.
- Set the Instant Pot to Manual, High for 6 minutes. After three beeps the Instant Pot will start to build up the pressure, which will take about 5 minutes or so. Once the 6 minutes are up, allow 7 or so minutes to release the pressure naturally (mind you, this process is still cooking our ingredients). Then, use the quick release method to let off the rest of the steam.
- Stir through before serving. You can remove the sausage to a cutting board and slice them into bite size pieces, especially if serving to kids. We recommend a side of rice, pasta, or vegetables.