This Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon is a classic French recipe full of flavour. Serve it over mashed potatoes or pasta for a complete meal for the whole family!
This hearty dish, also known as Bœuf Bourguignon, is a classic French dish from the Burgundy region, where it’s cooked with the local red Burgundy wine.
It’s a regular in my house and can be enjoyed with some buttery mashed potatoes, chunky bread and butter, pasta or even some parsley dumplings which can also be cooked in the Instant Pot. For people who are more health conscious, you can serve this popular beef stew with some steamed vegetables or cauliflower rice. Cabbage with butter and a large pinch of pepper is my personal favourite.
Prime beef will work best although using cheaper cuts can work well, especially as the red wine helps to tenderise the meat when cooking.
If you can’t get your hands on an actual bottle of Burgundy wine, any full bodied red wine will add a bold richness that is hard to resist, between 12-14%vol. will give the best result.Print
- 2 medium brown onions, finely diced (or 7–8 small shallots, peeled and left whole)
- 4 slices of bacon or pancetta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves of crushed or finely diced garlic
- 3 lb (1.5 kg ) good quality braising beef steak, cut into cubes or you can get diced beef
- 1+ 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup stock (beef or chicken)
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup chopped tinned tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon mixed dried herbs
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- Optional: 5 oz (150 g ) button mushrooms , sliced or left whole if they are small
- 2 large carrots (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, regular flour or tapioca flour (for paleo/gluten-free)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley, to serve
- Peel and chop the onion and dice t the bacon, and in the meantime turn the Instant Pot on and press the Sauté function key.
- Add olive oil, onion and bacon to the inner pot and cook for 5 minutes, stirring a few times, until golden brown.
- Add garlic, beef, salt, pepper, stock, red wine, tomatoes, and herbs and stir through. Add mushrooms, if using, and half of the carrots (reserve the other half for later). Press Keep Warm/Cancel to stop the Sauté function.
- Place the lid and lock. Set to Manual, High pressure, and set for 30 minutes. After three beeps the Instant Pot will begin to build up pressure and start cooking. Once the cooking finishes, release the pressure naturally for 10 minutes before using quick release to let off the rest of the steam.
- Add the remaining carrots and change back to the Sauté setting for a further 10 minutes (keep the lid off). Stir a few times. This process will thicken the sauce slightly by evaporating some of the liquid.
- Finally, combine the cornstarch or other flour with a couple of tablespoons or water or the broth from the stew in a small bowl, whisk together and return to the broth. Stir through immediately and then add the butter and stir through to finish the dish.
- Sprinkle with parsley when serving in bowls over your preferred side of vegetables or pasta.