This quick and easy Instant Pot risotto is perfect for a weeknight dinner on the budget. Made with frozen peas, celery and Parmesan, it’s totally delicious.
This Instant Pot risotto is super quick and easy and is perfect if you’re on the budget. Rice, celery, onion and frozen peas are all cheap yet nourishing foods and are often present in most kitchens already. The only thing that might make a dent on the wallet is the Parmesan cheese, but let’s face, it makes risotto into what it is – creamy, velvety, savoury goodness.
You can use this recipe as a template to use up other vegetables or ingredients. Diced carrots, mushrooms, leftover green beans or even diced beetroot, will all go well in a gorgeous risotto. I like to serve it with a simple green salad or steamed veggies on the side.
Leftovers can be turned into pan-fried rissoles or arancini balls, or you can add some tinned tuna or salmon to turn the cold risotto into nourishing fish cakes. Great for lunch boxes!
Rice: Risotto requires a special type of rice called arborio rice, which is a high-starch, short-grained rice that helps to give the dish that famous thickness and creaminess. I like to use organic arborio, such as this brand from Amazon, but you can use regular and cheaper risotto brands. Unlike regular white rice, DO NOT RINSE this rice before cooking or you will reduce the starch content and that’s what we need for a perfect risotto.
Stock: This recipe calls for 2 cups of stock. Essentially, it’s 2:1 ratio of stock to arborio rice for the pressure cooker recipe, so if you’re making a smaller batch or a larger batch, adjust the liquid accordingly. For a vegetarian version, use vegetable stock cube and water or ready-made stock. For omnivores, chicken stock works really well here.
- About 25 grams / 2 tablespoons butter (or 3 tablespoons olive oil)
- 1 medium brown onion, diced
- 2 celery sticks, diced into small cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper (I used white pepper)
- 1 cup Arborio rice (special risotto rice that is extra starchy)
- 1 cup frozen green baby peas
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely diced
- Zest of 1/2 lemon (optional but nice)
- 2 cups vegetable stock (or chicken if you like, I used 1 stock cube and 2 cups water)
- 1 oz / 30 g Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Press the Sauté key on the Instant Pot (it should say Normal, 30 mins). Add the butter (or olive oil), onions, celery, salt and pepper and sauté for 4-5 minutes, stirring a few times.
- Add the rice, peas, garlic, stock and lemon zest and stir through. Press Keep Warm/Cancel key on the Instant Pot to stop the Sauté function. Make sure to scrape any rice kernels or vegetables off the inner pot walls.
- Place and lock the lid, making sure the steam releasing handle is pointing to Sealing. Press Manual, High pressure and set to 5 minutes. After 3 beeps the pressure cooker will start going.
- Once the timer goes off, allow the pressure to release for 4-5 minutes and then, carefully, use the quick release method to release the rest of the steam and pressure.
- Open the lid and stir in the Parmesan cheese and drizzle with lemon juice. Serve while hot with a side salad or veggies.