Making egg and potato salad in the Instant Pot is quick and easy and saves you from having to use a hot stove in the summer. You can prepare the creamy salad dressing and other ingredients while the potatoes and eggs are pressure cooking with the whole dish taking 20 minutes. This Instant Pot potato salad is gluten-free and vegetarian-friendly.
A good potato salad is a favorite at picnics, cookouts, barbecues and family meals in the summertime. It’s a dish that pleases both kids and grownups and is gluten-free and vegetarian-friendly. A classic potato salad is fairly simple but you can get pretty creative and add your own tweaks to make a little more special. Using the Instant Pot to make potato salad may not be something you’ve done before but it’s actually a great way to cook the ingredients quickly and easily without using the stove.
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT POTATO SALAD
Our Instant Pot potato salad features hard-boiled eggs, creamy mayonnaise dressing, gherkins and fresh cucumber; plus, a little raw onion and mustard provide a nice peppery, spicy kick.
The salad is prepared in two stages. First, you need to cook the potatoes and eggs, which we do in the Instant Pot at the same time. You can use baby white or large white potatoes, cut into cubes and as many eggs as you like.
While the eggs and potatoes are cooking under pressure, you can prepare the rest of the ingredients (see pic below for how everything should be diced). Then cool the potatoes and peel the eggs and combine everything together. You can also cook those ahead of time and store them in the fridge overnight.
Learn how to make egg and potato salad with the Instant Pot. This summertime salad is great to bring to picnics, cookouts and family get-togethers. It’s gluten-free and vegetarian-friendly.
FOR THE INSTANT POT
1 cup water
1 teaspoon salt
3 pounds baby white potatoes (cut in halves or quarters depending on size, if using larger potatoes, you can peel them and cut them into large cubes)
4 fresh eggs
TO DRESS & FINISH THE SALAD
⅔ cup mayonnaise
⅓ cup sour cream or plain yogurt
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard or Wholegrain mustard (yellow can also be used)
½ teaspoon pepper
2 large pickles, diced finely
½ red onion, finely diced (you could also use ⅓ or ½ cup chopped scallions instead)
1 cup finely diced fresh cucumber or radish (optional but adds nice freshness)
¼ cup chopped dill for garnish
A little paprika to sprinkle on top
- Add the water and salt and potatoes to the bottom of the pot. Place uncooked eggs on top of the potatoes.
- Secure and lock the lid. Make sure the pressure handle is pointing to Sealing on Duo Classic. Select Manual/Pressure Cook and adjust the timer to 4 minutes on HIGH pressure. After a few beeps/seconds, the ON sign will come on indicating the pot is heating up and the pressure is building; pressurizing will take about 8-9 minutes and then the 4-minute timer will begin.
- Once the timer is done, use the quick release method to let off the remaining pressure (press the steam knob down or point to Venting on older models). Open the lid and remove the eggs, place them in cold water to cool off. Strain the potatoes and allow to cool in the sieve or in a salad bowl for 10-15 minutes.
- In the meantime, dice other ingredients and prepare the dressing. Peel the eggs and dice them into cubes. Reserve one egg to slice into circles to garnish the top of the salad.
- Add the diced pickles, red onions, cucumber, mayonnaise, mustard, sour cream/yogurt and pepper to the potatoes and stir through. Taste to see if you need to add any salt. Add the diced eggs and combine.
- Serve in a large serving bowl with a few sliced egg circles on top and you can sprinkle with dill, or some paprika or chives. You can also put a few thinly sliced pickles or cucumbers/radish on top.
Keywords: Potato salad, eggs, potatoes, Instant Pot, gluten-free, salad, summer