This Goan-style Instant Pot shrimp curry is simple to prepare but has complex flavors and a little chili spice to keep every bite interesting and exciting. Serve with rice, cauliflower rice or some naan bread. This recipe is from Madhur Jaffrey’s Instantly Indian Cookbook: Modern and Classic Recipes for the Instant Pot ®.
This is the hot “shrimp or prawn curry,” as it is called on the beaches of Goa. It is very simple to prepare and is delicious eaten with rice or with some naan (or bread) or veggies. Normally, several teaspoons of hot chili powder would be used here but this Instant Pot recipe is a milder version.
WHAT IS GOAN CUISINE?
Goa is a state on the southwestern coast of India within the region known as the Konkan. It is India’s smallest state by area and the fourth smallest by population. Goa is visited by large numbers of tourists each year for its white-sand beaches. Rice with fish curry is the staple diet in Goa.
Goan cuisine is famous for its rich variety of fish dishes cooked in many ways and is heavily influenced by Portuguese cuisine. Goan food may be divided into Goan Catholic and Goan Hindu cuisine with each showing very distinct tastes, characteristics, and cooking styles. The coastal location of Goa lends shrimp as a perfect choice to add to this curry.
WHY MAKE THIS GOAN SHRIMP CURRY?
Shrimp has several health benefits as it’s one of the best food sources of iodine, which many people are deficient in. Iodine is required for proper thyroid function and brain health. It is low in calories, providing only 84 calories in a 3-ounce (85-gram) serving, and does not contain any carbs and high in protein. Check out more Instant Pot shrimp recipes here.
Plus, you’ll be getting the anti-inflammatory benefits of turmeric spice and many vitamins and minerals along the way. Overall, shrimp is a very nutritional choice to add to this meal.
Make sure to also check out our Turmeric Rice Recipe or the Instant Pot Yellow Rice With Peas & Corn, which would pair nicely with this Instant Pot shrimp curry.
MORE INDIAN INSTANT POT RECIPES
- 17+ Essential Indian Instant Pot Recipes
- Easy Butter Chicken In Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Rice Pilaf With Chickpeas
- Indian Chicken Curry & Rice (One-Pot)
- Mushroom Matar (Green Pea & Mushroom Curry)
- Indian Spinach Rice (Palak Pulao)
Instant Pot Shrimp Curry Goan-Style
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Main
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Indian
- Diet: Gluten Free
This Indian, Goan-style Instant Pot shrimp curry is very simple to prepare and is delicious eaten with rice, naan or vegetables. This is a milder version of a traditional Goan curry.
- 1⁄2–1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon red paprika powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger grated
- 2 tablespoons coriander seed powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons tamarind paste, or to taste (use lemon juice to taste as a substitute)
- 1 pound / 450-500 g medium raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup coconut milk from a well-stirred can
- Put the chili powder, paprika, turmeric, garlic, ginger, coriander, and cumin in a bowl. Slowly add 1 cup of water, mixing as you go. Pour this mixture into the inner pot of your Instant Pot. Close and seal the lid.
- Cook at LOW PRESSURE for 5 minutes and let the pressure drop by itself for 10 minutes. Release the remaining pressure manually. Open the lid, venting the remaining steam away from you.
- Add the salt and tamarind or lemon juice to the sauce, balancing the flavors to your taste. The sauce will seem a bit rough at this stage. Select the SAUTÉ setting set to Normal. Add the shrimp and the coconut milk. Stir gently and cook until all the shrimp have turned opaque. Taste the sauce again for balance of flavors.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 246
- Sugar: 0.7 g
- Sodium: 619 mg
- Fat: 13.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 10.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 6.1 g
- Fiber: 1.2 g
- Protein: 27.4 g
- Cholesterol: 201.3 mg
Keywords: Prawns, Curry
SAVE THIS SHRIMP CURRY RECIPE TO PINTEREST
Excerpted from MADHUR JAFFREY’S INSTANTLY INDIAN COOKBOOK by Madhur Jaffrey. Copyright © 2019 by Madhur Jaffrey. Excerpted by permission of Alfred A. Knopf, a division of Penguin Random House LLC. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.
COMMENT OR RATE THIS RECIPE
Got questions or feedback? Leave a comment. Made the recipe? Please leave a rating as it helps other readers to discover this dish. Your name and email are required to avoid spam comments; they are never used for any purpose or shared with third parties.