Hearty and delicious Instant Pot Whole30 beef stew with carrots and potatoes is perfect for the whole family. This healthy stew can also be made on the stovetop. Perfect for making ahead and the freezer.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 cup chopped celery
2.5 lb / 1.2 kg chuck or round steak (stewing beef meat), cut into chunks
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon mixed dried herbs or Italian herbs
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon chili powder or cayenne pepper
1.5 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1.5 cups beef stock or bone broth
1 tablespoon coconut amions
1.2 lb / 500 g white potatoes (4 medium Russet potatoes), cut into quarters
1 medium sweet potato, cut into big chunks
0.5 lb / 250 g carrots, cut into large chunks
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
1 cup tomato sauce (passata)
2 teaspoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons tapioca flour
3 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Turn the Instant Pot on and press the Saute button. Once hot, add the olive oil, onions and celery and cook for 2-3 minutes to soften.
- Add the beef and stir through, cook for 1-2 minutes to brown off slightly.
- Add garlic, spices, herbs, salt and pepper and stir through. Pour in the coconut aminos and beef stock and stir through. Scrape the bottom of the pot to get any stuck bits off. Press Cancel to stop the Saute function.
- Place potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots and sun-dried tomatoes on top. Gently press down to dip the vegetables into the broth but they can stay on the top.
- Pour tomato sauce over the top and spread the tomato paste. You don’t need to stir the sauce into the stew as it will prevent it from getting burnt on the bottom. It will still penetrate the stew while cooking.
- Pop the lid on top and secure. Select the Meat/Stew button (Normal) and it should say 35 Minutes on HIGH pressure. You can also set it manually by pressing Pressure Cook button and adjusting the time. After 3 beeps, the Instant Pot will begin building the pressure. On some models, you may have to press the Start button.
- As there is a lot of liquid and food in the pot, it will take 15-20 minutes to build up the pressure. Then the countdown clock will start. Once done, release the pressure naturally for 10 minutes or all the way, this will help to ‘rest and set’ the stew.
- While releasing the pressure, whisk the tapioca starch and water in a small bowl and set aside.
- Open the lid and stir the stew. While still super hot, stir in the starch slurry to thicken the stew liquid. Finish with fresh parsley on top. You are ready to serve!
Saute: 10 minutes | Pressure building: 15 minutes | Pressure Cook: 35 minutes | Natural release: 10 minutes followed by quick release
Stovetop instructions: Repeat the saute steps in a heavy bottom pot or saucepan on the stove over medium heat. Once all ingredients are in, including the tomato sauce and paste, stir everything through and bring to a boil. Then turn the heat down to medium-low and cover with a lid. Cook for 2-3 hours until the meat is tender. Stir a few times. Finish with the slurry to thicken the stew if needed and turn the heat off.
- Serving Size: 2 cups of stew
- Calories: 374
- Sugar: 6.9 g
- Sodium: 941.9 mg
- Fat: 11.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 29.3 g
- Protein: 39.7 g
- Cholesterol: 103.6 mg
Keywords: Instant Pot, Beef, Beef Stew, Whole30, Gluten-Free