Who doesn’t love a good serving of steaming hot beef chili? Also known as chili con carne, this popular meat stew is perfectly suited to the Instant Pot and make-ahead meal prep. While the traditional version is made with meat and beans, we decided to opt for flavorful chorizo sausage instead of legumes. Chorizo adds the most incredible flavor to this pressure cooker chili dish.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 large brown onion, roughely chopped
- 1 medium carrot (or 2 small ones), peeled and diced into small cubes
- 1 celery stick, diced into small cubes
- 7 oz / 200 g chorizo sausage, peeled and diced
- 1 long red chilli, finely diced
- 2.2 lb / 1 kg ground beef (grass-fed, if possible)
- 3 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander seed
- 2 cups / about 400 g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Tamari or soy sauce (coconut aminos for those on Whole30/paleo)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons of port or fortified red wine (optional but adds lots of depth)
To serve: flash pan-fried zucchini or cooked white rice, chopped avocado and cilantro.
- Turn the Instant Pot on and press the Sauté function key (it should say High, 30 mins). Add the oil, onion, carrot, celery, chorizo and chili and cook together for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the beef, garlic, spices and stir. Add the tinned tomatoes and paste and stir. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir together. Press Keep Warm/Cancel.
- Place and lock the lid, make sure the steam releasing handle is pointing to Sealing. Press MANUAL (High Pressure) and set to 15 minutes. After 3 beeps the pressure cooker will start going.
- Once the time is up, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes, then use the quick release to let off the rest of the steam.
- If storing in the freezer, make sure to cool down the chili first.
Keywords: Chorizo Chili Red Wine Onion Carrot Celery Beef Garlic Tomato Paste Comfort Food Winter Warm