Nutty, creamy Instant Pot steel-cut oats get an extra kick from tangy cranberries and toasted nuts in this easy recipe. If you’re rushed in the morning, make this the night before and refrigerate it, then reheat and top with the nuts for a warm, filling breakfast.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup steel-cut oats
- A pinch kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar or honey
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk or low-fat or dairy-free
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄4 cup toasted chopped almonds
1. Turn the Instant Pot and select Sauté. Adjust to Medium heat. Add the butter to the inner pot. When the butter has melted and stopped foaming, add the oats and stir to coat with the butter. Continue cooking for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the oats have a nutty aroma.
2. Add the salt, sugar, water, milk, vanilla, and cranberries. Stir to combine.
3. Lock the lid into place. Select Pressure Cook or Manual, and adjust the pressure to High and the time to 10 minutes. After cooking, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, then quick release any remaining pressure.
4. Unlock the lid. Spoon the oatmeal into two bowls and top with the almonds. Adjust to your taste, adding extra milk or sugar if you like.
Double It: Oatmeal is a great recipe for doubling, since the leftovers keep well for a couple of days in the refrigerator. Double all the ingredients and increase the salt to 1⁄4 teaspoon. Cook time remains the same.
Make It Dairy-Free: Use a neutral vegetable oil or coconut oil to toast the oats, and replace the whole milk with a plant-based milk or more water.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 218
- Sodium: 144 mg
- Fat: 14 g
- Carbohydrates: 17 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 6 g
Keywords: Oatmeal, Porridge